RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 01-09-15, 03:03 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Huge hidden storage area(S) in console and other hidden storage areas

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-12, 05:37 PM
MachineMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Huge hidden storage area(S) in console and other hidden storage areas

The manual shows that if you reach down to the bottom of your console there is a pull tab for a door revealing a compartment underneath. I do not recall the manual showing that you can also lift both sections of the console door out making for a bigger access. Now here is where it really gets big ... reach your right arm down and forward another 11" and you can almost touch the inside front of the console .... NOW if you look close you will see ANOTHER door that flips sideways giving you additional vertical access. NOW look closer yet .. there is a large tapered slot so that you can place large items like a small laptop or notebook computer into the console. I measured that is actually wide enough for 7 Ipad2 tablets plus all kinds of additional storage behind them towards the rear. That lower compartment s actually 4-1/2" wide x 9" tall x 16" deep (front-back).

Don't forget about the 3 lower storage areas in the trunk plus I found that you can wrap jumper cables around the spare tire and store the ends in a nice big space at the right rear of the spare area.

I see that the cup holder dividers also remove to either allow for cleaning or enlarge the compartment for sunglasses.

There is also a small partially depressed tray like for a smaller umbrella to be stored at the leading edge of each ront seat.

If you find another hidden storage area (door pockets that we do not all know about) I'll buy you a XL coffee.

Last edited by MachineMan; 08-12-12 at 05:57 PM. Reason: typo
The following users liked this post:
kuli48 (02-04-19)
Old 08-12-12, 06:04 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

It's exciting to see the enthusiasm from a new Lexus owner. Some of us that have been in the Lexus family what seems like forever, take the overall quality and a lot of these little things we ultimately come across for granted. ...but THANK YOU, I think you may have found some new origami contortion with the console that I didn't know about, so will have to check it out for myself n the morning!
Old 08-12-12, 07:04 PM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, that huge console cavern is where I store the huge manual which frees up the map/glove box for........maps and gloves, etc
Old 08-12-12, 07:48 PM
MachineMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Great idea, jclem. Manuals to the "mid-console cavern

Originally Posted by jclem
Yes, that huge console cavern is where I store the huge manual which frees up the map/glove box for........maps and gloves, etc
11+ ahead of it will still be available for electronic tablets, gold bars, spare parts for the yacht , and 2 more pieces of small luggage LOL

Actually no contortion required ... just wide open inside the console space there that's undocumented

Last edited by MachineMan; 08-12-12 at 07:51 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 08-12-12, 08:05 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You know, in my two plus years of driving my 2010 RX, I have yet to take the opportunity to explore the "cavernous" console area below all the USB and DC plugs. I guess I'll have to take a look next chance I get. I may have to move that big, thick manual from the glove box to this area of my RX.

Now, I have been using the under floor storage in the trunk for storing my purse when I go for walks at the park. Sometimes, I separate the fob from the rest of my keys, put the keys back in the purse and just walk with the fob in my hand.

Last edited by EMSLEXUSRX; 08-12-12 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-12-12, 09:09 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I have nothing but some kleenex and an ipod on there. but good to know it has three layers
Old 08-13-12, 07:08 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for pointing out the huge extended size of the console bin on our 2013. Never really paid attention to how big it was, as we have always had a dog carrier sitting on top of the console while fastened to the seats. Don't think we will put our 4 pound Yorkie in the bin, but after showing my wife the full dimensions, she is going to put to good use for all of our traveling.
Old 08-14-12, 03:04 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by MachineMan
The manual shows that if you reach down to the bottom of your console there is a pull tab for a door revealing a compartment underneath. I do not recall the manual showing that you can also lift both sections of the console door out making for a bigger access. Now here is where it really gets big ... reach your right arm down and forward another 11" and you can almost touch the inside front of the console .... NOW if you look close you will see ANOTHER door that flips sideways giving you additional vertical access. NOW look closer yet .. there is a large tapered slot so that you can place large items like a small laptop or notebook computer into the console. I measured that is actually wide enough for 7 Ipad2 tablets plus all kinds of additional storage behind them towards the rear. That lower compartment s actually 4-1/2" wide x 9" tall x 16" deep (front-back).

Don't forget about the 3 lower storage areas in the trunk plus I found that you can wrap jumper cables around the spare tire and store the ends in a nice big space at the right rear of the spare area.

I see that the cup holder dividers also remove to either allow for cleaning or enlarge the compartment for sunglasses.

There is also a small partially depressed tray like for a smaller umbrella to be stored at the leading edge of each ront seat.

If you find another hidden storage area (door pockets that we do not all know about) I'll buy you a XL coffee.
I checked the manual online and it does not seem to indicate the extra door that flips sideways. What page is this on? Or is this a "snipe" hunt that you are sending everyone on? LOL
Old 08-14-12, 07:23 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by MARQEVANS
I checked the manual online and it does not seem to indicate the extra door that flips sideways. What page is this on? Or is this a "snipe" hunt that you are sending everyone on? LOL
Page 677 of the RX450h 2013 online manual. Section 3-6 Using Storage Features.
Old 08-15-12, 05:47 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I checked this out last nite after I got home and the extra space is huge! I'm not quite sure yet what I'll do with it because you either need to have it "opened up" all the time or you'd need to haul everything out of the console to get to the hidden areas. What to do. What to do. . .

I also noticed that the sides of the expanded space are cold (OK, very cool) to the touch. Is this part of the vent system? Is it waterproof? Could I fill it with ice and cool down my drinks on a trip? HA!
Old 08-15-12, 09:03 AM
VVRX
Pole Position

I believe this additional extended storage feature only is applicable to the 2013.
Old 08-15-12, 09:18 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Those are some really nice improvements or access points on the 2013 and maybe the 2012. On my early 2010, I can pull out the bin and reach forward but that's it. Nothing but smooth plastic walls. But I have a nice overhead sun glass holder
Originally Posted by MachineMan

Old 08-15-12, 12:20 PM
VVRX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Those are some really nice improvements or access points on the 2013 and maybe the 2012. On my early 2010, I can pull out the bin and reach forward but that's it. Nothing but smooth plastic walls. But I have a nice overhead sun glass holder
My 2012 is the same as yours Jim minus the sun glass holder
Old 08-15-12, 12:38 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

FYI on 2013s: As mentioned a while back, the interior console on the 2013 was redesigned from that in the 2012. I just gave the tip here a try, and the 2nd hidden cover (facing the dash) is my favorite. Open up both secret covers, and the space (under the remote controller) is just large enough to slip in the whole Lexus black folder and its set of manuals normally consuming most of the glove compartment. Good job, Lexus -- a perfect fit with no wobble! It's apparent some engineer designed this space for just this purpose. Close the 2nd cover now hiding the manuals, and there is still enough room on the bottom for a slightly bent Nav manual and a little more. Close the first floor cover over that within the main console, and you still have a large open area with the USB connection and such. (My huge Maui Jim's and case go here, a dedicated iPod in it's tray, some miscellaneous, and room for more.) The best part... I now have a cavernous open glove compartment for so much more than just my tire pressure gauge that has been pretty lonely isolated by itself with a bunch of manuals until now. In my RXh, that helps make up for almost no hidden storage space in the cargo area unlike what I had in my RX400h. Thanks again to the OP for the tip.

Last edited by BertL; 08-15-12 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 08-15-12, 04:29 PM
jimmymagic
Driver

I poked, prodded and pulled every possible edge in my 2012 and I just can't find it. Guess I got a dud.

Quick Reply: Huge hidden storage area(S) in console and other hidden storage areas