RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 RX 350 AWD Trailer Hitch

Old 01-15-13, 07:42 PM
alexw1003
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tos
Yes, I did replace it, but had to make a small cutout to accomodate the hitch. Instructions came with the hitch on where to cut. I made my cut much smaller than the instructions by taking a quick measurement. I used my Dremel to make the cut. Looks great and you can't tell it was modified.
Thanks for the info, it really helps!
Old 01-22-13, 05:37 PM
Tos
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my 2013 RX 350 in November and had absolutely no problem installing the hitch myself in under an hour. If you have a basic socket wrench set, a screw driver and a utility knife, it is really a no brainer. The dealer wanted almost $900 to do it. Save the money.
Old 07-07-13, 08:59 AM
veey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tos
I bought my 2013 RX 350 in November and had absolutely no problem installing the hitch myself in under an hour. If you have a basic socket wrench set, a screw driver and a utility knife, it is really a no brainer. The dealer wanted almost $900 to do it. Save the money.
Were you able to connect wiring? I spent few hours yesterday in the trunk trying to find the right plug. There is a lot of wires and plugs but I did not find one for the turns/lights. Mine came with no towing package.
Old 07-07-13, 02:42 PM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by veey

Were you able to connect wiring? I spent few hours yesterday in the trunk trying to find the right plug. There is a lot of wires and plugs but I did not find one for the turns/lights. Mine came with no towing package.
Veey, to purchase the Curt Hitch and Wiring Adapter, I recommend logging onto AutoAnything at:

http://www.autoanything.com/towing/10A50740.aspx

~ Cap

Last edited by Capirato; 07-07-13 at 02:50 PM.
Old 07-08-13, 04:17 AM
veey
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Capirato
Veey, to purchase the Curt Hitch and Wiring Adapter, I recommend logging onto AutoAnything at:

http://www.autoanything.com/towing/10A50740.aspx

~ Cap
Thanks for reply. I already ordered Curt hitch from Amazon. Cost me $127 with free shipping and no tax. As for wiring I checked the following document and the installation looks a bit complicated to me as half of the car needs to be taken apart.
http://www.hitchweb.com/file_manager...s/tr118478.pdf
Old 07-08-13, 10:54 AM
Capirato
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for reply. I already ordered Curt hitch from Amazon. Cost me $127 with free shipping and no tax. As for wiring I checked the following document and the installation looks a bit complicated to me as half of the car needs to be taken apart.
http://www.hitchweb.com/file_manager...s/tr118478.pdf
Veey.....
You are looking at the wrong adapter. You probably don't need a constant hot. You most likely only need power for your Stop Lights and Tail Lights.
If the Stop Lights and Turn Signals are separate, a proper Adapter will work.
Therefore, you don't need to run a wire to the battery.
~ Cap
Old 08-13-13, 08:20 AM
carrtommy
Driver School Candidate

Default 2013 Lexus 4WD RX350 trailer light wiring

I just recently installed a CURT trailer hitch on to my 2013 Lexus RX350 and it fit up very nicely with plenty of clearance between the exhaust tailpipe and the hitch. Beware that Reese hitch that although it would mount to the vehicle had insufficient clearance between the exhaust tailpipe and the hitch.
I purchased the trailer plug wire with connector from E-trailer that fits directly into the connector on my vehicle which is located under the vehicle on the driver side near the bumper. You need to do this while the under cover is removed when installing the hitch. It is a simple plug-in. No splicing required.
The trailer hitch lights will not work yet. You need to purchase a trailer light converter from Lexus for your vehicle. It cost me $115.00. The best part is it is a simple plug and play.
The converter plug is located inside the vehicle rear passenger side. You need to remove the spare tire cover and then remove the small storage tray on the passenger side by removing the two plugs by prying between the plugs and the tray with a thin bladed screw driver. The wire connector is located just up under the inside panel near the passenger tail light and secured with a wire tie. I just felt around and quickly found it. I then removed the cable tie so the connector could be pulled down a little so it was more accessible. The trailer light converter comes with a mounting plate with a hole in it. I secured the converter mounting plate to the mounting plate on the vehicle that had two holes using a ty-wrap so that the converter would not flop around. You can use a bolt and nut if you want. I just did not have the right size bolt and nut readily available. Electrically, the converter does not need to be bolted to the vehicle (grounded) to work.
It is a simple plug and play. If by chance it does not immediately work, verify that you have the trailer light 30 amp fuse installed in the fuse box located in the engine compartment. The Lexus dealer thought the vehicle would be suppled with the converter and that the converter was only needed for the two wheel drive RX350's. That is not true. Your need vehicle does not come with the converter unless your vehicle has the trailer tow package. My vehicle did not.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-19-13, 04:32 PM
veey
Driver School Candidate

carrtommy,

Thank you for so detailed instructions. Can you also post a link or exact name or part number for the wiring kit you purchased?
Also what trailer hitch lights are for? If I get it right they are installed on the hitch itself. Are they required?
Old 08-20-13, 08:21 AM
desmo907
Driver

Curious you got the Lexus converter. Would this do the same?
http://www.redtrailers.com/Finder.as...450h&st=Hybrid

I have the 2013 RX 450h with NO tow prep. But I have the fuse in the box and the grey plug under driver side bumper. I took apart the inside near right tail light and see the white rectangle plug. I assume this module plugs into that white plug and that would activate the grey plug. I assume then I use the other cord to convert the grey plug (removing the cap) to a flat pin.

Thoughts?
Old 08-26-13, 05:40 AM
carrtommy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Capirato
I just bought an RX 350 AWD for my daughter, which has the Trailer Package. Was wondering if anyone has attepted to do the installation of the traler hitch themselves or had someone like U-Haul do the installation ??
U-Haul sells the Curt and the Reese Hitches.
Also, does anyone know what the Dealer charges ??

~ Cap
Yes, I installed the Curt Hitch from autoanything and bought the 4-wire electrical cable with connector for my Lexus from e-trailer. The electrical connector was $20 and the hitch was $150.
The electrical connector part number from curt is 56083 and a picture is shown on the e-trailer web site. This is the correct connector.

Both were easy to install. If you are not a do it yourself kind of guy, then have u-haul install a curt hitch but buy the electrical connector from e-trailer because it plugs into an existing connector with no wThe electrical connector part number from curt is 56083 and a picture is shown on the e-trailer web site. This is the correct connector.

Both were easy to install. If you are not a do it yourself kind of guy, then have u-haul install a curt hitch but buy the electrical connector from e-trailer because it plugs into an existing connector with no wiring modifications. Since your vehicle has the towing package, the converter should already be installed.iring modifications. Since your vehicle has the towing package, the converter should already be installed.
Good luck

Last edited by carrtommy; 09-09-13 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-26-13, 05:42 AM
carrtommy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by desmo907

I have the 2013 RX 450h with NO tow prep. But I have the fuse in the box and the grey plug under driver side bumper. I took apart the inside near right tail light and see the white rectangle plug. I assume this module plugs into that white plug and that would activate the grey plug. I assume then I use the other cord to convert the grey plug (removing the cap) to a flat pin.

Thoughts?
You are correct.
Old 08-26-13, 05:52 AM
carrtommy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by desmo907

Thoughts?
yes it will work exactly as you stated. The e-trailer part number for the electrical connector is,

part # 118478, connects in-line with the running light, brake light and turn signal circuit, and will work great on your 2010 Lexus RX-350. This works on the 2013 vehicle as well.
Old 08-26-13, 05:53 AM
carrtommy
Driver School Candidate

e-trailer part number,

the electrical connector connects in-line with the running light, brake light and turn signal circuit, and will work great on your 2010 Lexus RX-350. This works on the 2013 vehicle as well. The electrical connector part number from curt is 56083 and a picture is shown on the e-trailer web site. This is the correct connector.

Last edited by carrtommy; 09-09-13 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Correct part number
Old 08-26-13, 05:54 AM
carrtommy
Driver School Candidate

carrtommy,

Thank you for so detailed instructions. Can you also post a link or exact name or part number for the wiring kit you purchased?
Also what trailer hitch lights are for? If I get it right they are installed on the hitch itself. Are they required?
The e-trailer part number for the electrical connector is,

The electrical connector part number from curt is 56083 and a picture is shown on the e-trailer web site connects in-line with the running light, brake light and turn signal circuit, and will work great on your 2010 Lexus RX-350. This works on the 2013 vehicle as well.

You can google e-trailer website.

Last edited by carrtommy; 09-09-13 at 09:05 AM.
Old 08-26-13, 05:56 AM
desmo907
Driver

RedTrailer and the wiring manufacturer both told me 118255 converter may not work on my 2013 model. RedTrailer told me that someone returned it for not working on their 2013 450h and manufacturer told me they need to test them before they can certify them.

I found a Lexus dealer selling the OEM converter and harness on ebay for a pretty decent price.
Installed the Curt hitch myself so still saved some $.

Originally Posted by carrtommy
You are correct.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 RX 350 AWD Trailer Hitch