RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 RX 350 AWD Trailer Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-14, 07:08 AM
jedowdle
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insane price on hitch from Dealer

I've read this forum with great interest, because I'd like to put a hitch on my 2013 RX350 AWD to haul a small convertible on a rental trailer. One issue is that the rental company says my car needs to be rated for 5,000 lbs. The dealer says it's rated for 3,500 lbs. Is this a problem?
We had a nightmare experience hiring a guy to install a hitch on a '99 RX, pulling a trailer a I-95 at night and the wiring harness failed. No lights, and it shorted something that cost me $600 to fix. I'm hesitant to use anyone but the dealer for this car. HOWEVER, I took it to the dealer yesterday for a quote.
He tells me that there is no towing package on this car, so I need the wiring harness, the hitch AND a transmission cooler. I haven't seen anyone else on this forum mention a transmission cooler. Is this necessary? The total estimate to do this is $2,081!!! Holy Moly.
I'm not very car savvy, so any guidance would be greatly appreciated. My alternatives are shipping the convertible for $700 one-way, or driving both cars 1,100 miles one-way.
Thanks!
Old 08-20-14, 08:15 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

jedowdle, welcome to CL. The RX has a towing package available which includes the trans cooler. That's located inside the driver side wheel well looking through the vents. Price was less than $1K IIRC. I don't know the cost installed after the fact. Have you double checked your window sticker to make sure your RX didn't come with it? It's a pretty common option to have.
Old 08-22-14, 05:40 AM
jrfiero
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Several things ...

IF you had a towing prep package the rated weight would be 3500 lbs, without it it's 2000.

Even at 3500, it would have to be a pretty small convertible and a lightweight trailer to sneak under 3500 pounds, and you're not likely to find a lightweight trailer (aluminum) for rent. If you could get the package below 3500 I'd tow it even without the towing prep package unless you're going in the mountains or Death Valley. But as you said, U-Haul won't rent you a trailer unless you meet their criteria.

I don't think towing prep packages are common - in the mid atlantic region they're special order, the dealers just don't order them on their cars.

The dealer estimate sounds like I would expect from a Lexus dealer. That said, I don't think I'd have an independent shop install a transmission cooler on a car that was under warranty, I don't think Lexus would look kindly on any future transmission claims. The dealers do overcharge mightily for hitch installation, anybody can do that.

Ship it, unless you like driving a lot and don't value your time highly.

Jonas
Old 08-25-14, 01:27 PM
doribak
Driver School Candidate

You guys totally confsued me...
I own a 2013 RX350 with no tow package, plugged the harness under the bumper and obviously it's not working.

Now i started searching and found 2 codes people say would work but none of the sites state it for 2013.

One is 118255
http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-V...dy/118255.html
Which seems to be the simple one.

And 118478
Which seems more complicated as it uses it's own 4pin flat cable and not the one already running under the bumper.

Can someone clarify which one would work for a 2013 with no tow package so i can solve this issue once and for all?
Old 08-30-14, 05:49 PM
kunzman
Driver School Candidate

Default Aluminum Hitch Mount and Stainless Ball

Just received my 2015 RX 450h with towing prep package and receiver installed. I didn't want the typical black painted hitch ball mount that was going to rust in three years up here in Cleveland like the one on my Highlander did. Found this on Amazon. Mount is lighter weight aluminum and the 2" ball is stainless.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BDHLGE..._09Maub1Q8K22Y

Last edited by kunzman; 08-30-14 at 05:55 PM.
Old 09-02-14, 01:09 PM
jrfiero
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Search the other tow hitch threads

Originally Posted by doribak
You guys totally confsued me...
I own a 2013 RX350 with no tow package, plugged the harness under the bumper and obviously it's not working.

Now i started searching and found 2 codes people say would work but none of the sites state it for 2013.

One is 118255
Which seems to be the simple one.

And 118478
Which seems more complicated as it uses it's own 4pin flat cable and not the one already running under the bumper.

Can someone clarify which one would work for a 2013 with no tow package so i can solve this issue once and for all?
If you don't have the towing package you need a controller and the pigtail. Its all explained in other threads.
Old 11-11-14, 10:42 AM
jrod82
Driver School Candidate

Default Do I have the factory tow harness?

Ok, so I have a hitch mount installed and I want to tow a small trailer. UHall requires a "4 flat" connector. I believe that to be Curt Wire Harness 56083. This will work if I have a factory tow harness.
So, my question... Do I have a factory tow harness? I have the spec sheet/window sticker. It says my 2010 RX350 has a "Tow Prep Package: Transmission Cooler, Heavy Duty Alternator & Radiator (ball mount not included)". Nothing about a factory tow harness. Is there a way to know if I have the plug without yanking off the fascia? I if do have it...is it located behind the bumper above the fascia? Thanks.

Gerry
Old 11-11-14, 11:05 AM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you do have it. You can let the fascia down enough on the driver's side to see it or plug it in. Then route it over to come out by the hitch. It has a cap plug on the connector that you have to hold tab up(I think) to take off.
Old 11-11-14, 12:22 PM
jrod82
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mac12
Yes, you do have it. You can let the fascia down enough on the driver's side to see it or plug it in. Then route it over to come out by the hitch. It has a cap plug on the connector that you have to hold tab up(I think) to take off.
thanks, mac.

I appreciate the help.
Old 11-23-14, 07:30 PM
doc307
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love these forums. I just picked up a 2010 RX with the towing prep package but no hitch. I really
don't understand why it would be offered that way but it is. I need to add a hitch and am very glad
to see there is an option other than Lexus out there. I will be getting a curt very soon.
Old 12-02-14, 06:32 PM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Installed the Curt today.
Taking bicycles to Florida next month.

Last edited by Raoul; 12-02-14 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-02-14, 06:51 PM
doc307
Driver School Candidate

Where did you order it from Raoul?
Old 12-02-14, 07:02 PM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Amazon $133 (plus $7 VA tax).
Yesterday they said it shipped and would get here Thursday.
This afternoon it was on my porch.

The instructions stated a pro install would take 35 minutes and a novice install would take 70 minutes.

Three hours later I was done.
That would make me the title holder for longest install in this thread.

(of course I'm also the title holder in the 2015 car price thread as apparently I'm the only one driving a $50,000 Lexus)
The following users liked this post:
kuli48 (02-04-19)
Old 12-03-14, 06:02 PM
doc307
Driver School Candidate

Thank you Raoul. Don't beat yourself up about the price you paid, everyone pays a different
price and you paid what you felt comfortable paying at the time.
Old 01-04-15, 04:54 PM
crapmaster
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a 2012 RX450h with the factory Towing Preparation package, this showed on the spec sheet, and there is a grille behind the front driver side wheel, which seems to indicate the transmission cooler is there.

This thread has been very helpful, I ordered the Curt 14143 hitch and the Curt 56083 T-connector and installed both myself, fairly straight forward. But, the trailer lights don't work. I checked the fuse, the 30A one labeled "trailer lights" is there (#44 in the fuse box), but the one next to it (#43 labeled "trailer battery") was missing. I installed a 20A fuse but still no lights. I measured the signals on the 4-pin flat connector with a volt-meter, but there is nothing.

Since I have the towing preparation package, I should not need any additional hardware, correct ? I am wondering though, if I need the control module. I checked the passenger side trunk, where the module is supposed to be, i removed the tray and the panel, but can't find a module. I may be looking at the wrong place, but it is not that crowded as I was expecting from other people's post, I only saw one connected cable there, going through a grommet on the trunk floor, see photo1. Then under the tail light assembly, I did find a connector, which has nothing connected to it, is this the one that the control module should be, see photo2 ? It was wrapped to some foam padding.

Any help would be appreciated. If I am missing the control module, I'm planning to order the part 118255 as the others here have done.
Attached Thumbnails 2013 RX 350 AWD Trailer Hitch-photo1.jpg   2013 RX 350 AWD Trailer Hitch-photo2.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2013 RX 350 AWD Trailer Hitch