RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Figuring Maintance... Miles or Months?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-12, 12:08 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Figuring Maintance... Miles or Months?

When you have your Lexus maintenance done or DIY, do you go by miles on the OD or months?

Reason for asking is I just had my 5,000 mile/6 months free check-up done on my 2012 RX 350 after 7 1/2 months @ 5,000 miles
I had a hard time putting on the last 1000 miles, so we took a weekend vacation.

I don't put on 10,000 miles in 12 months, so should I go by miles or months????

Ex. Oil/filter.
Lexus says every 10,000 miles or 12 months.
So is it ok to change it @ say 14 months??????

It's not driven under severe conditions.

Cheers!
Old 08-08-12, 12:31 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have the same situation, e.g. tomorrow is 2 months with my new RXh and I just turned over 550 miles. Is that casual driving or what? Anyway, everyone is going to have a different opinion on this. My present plan is to take the vehicle in at 6 months for the first free-bee as I think it's a good idea to have things checked/tightened on a new vehicle (but I won't change the oil). Will then talk to my SA about if I really have to come back at 12 months or can wait a bit longer.

On my previous RX400h where I was also doing only an avg 5-6K miles/year with no extreme conditions (no towing or winters here in SoCal) I tended to change oil and have service done every 10-12 months, and in the couple of years where there were big road trips, I brought it in to my Lexus dealer sooner than that. So, net is, I go by time for the most part, incorporating the major services (for mileage) in there as appropriate when my mileage is more normal in a given timeframe. I've taken this approach with each of my Lexus without any issue whatsoever, including ability to handle warranty and Lexus Extended Warranty claims at multiple dealerships in multiple States. The one thing I will have to adapt with my 2013 is synthetic oil changes are not required except every 10K/12 mo, so we'll see if I do that more on an annual basis (probably) or let it slip a little longer after my first change 10 months or so from now.
Old 08-08-12, 01:23 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I don't put on the miles either but go in every 6 months. My SA takes out the unnecessary stuff so I'm not paying for anything I don't need. The last time I was in for a 5K service, minus tire rotation since I just put on new tires, the only thing they did was an inspection. And it didn't cost me a dime. I've done this with all my RXs.
Old 08-08-12, 01:49 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kitlz
I don't put on the miles either but go in every 6 months. My SA takes out the unnecessary stuff the only thing they did was an inspection. And it didn't cost me a dime. I've done this with all my RXs.
So your saying your taking your RX in for inspection EVERY 5,000 miles minus oil change and tire rotation and they don't charge for this?

Hard to believe.
Old 08-08-12, 04:25 PM
VVRX
Pole Position

I would think that it is based on time, but than again would they still change the oil if you have less than the required mileage?
Old 08-08-12, 06:54 PM
StLucchese
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was told if you go beyond 6 months and accrue less mileage than the standard, its the "velocity" of the oil that needs to be change. Im sure someone here on the board can be enlighten in more
detail. My mother didnt change the oil on her highlander that she bought of Oct. of last year. Thats about 9 months ago. Hardly got past a couple of thousand miles.
Old 08-08-12, 09:39 PM
SAPNY
Rookie

hey guys,
can you pls sell me your low mileage cars when you upgrade? LOL
i put about 1500 miles a month or more so I always go by miles
Old 08-15-12, 10:03 AM
SeeEss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always believed that one of the most important things you can do to maintain your car in good working order is to change the oil frequently. I used to drive a VW Scirocco and changed the oil every time it wasn't gold color any more. That tended to be around every 3,000 miles.

Oil circulates throughout the car and piciks up tiny metal pieces and dirt. If you do not change the oil often, those pieces continue to circulate and could concieveably do damage.

As long as I change the oil often my cars last forever. I do, however, get other required maintenance done. I just don't think the oil change should be underestimated.

SeeEss
Old 08-15-12, 10:37 AM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SeeEss
I have always believed that one of the most important things you can do to maintain your car in good working order is to change the oil frequently. I used to drive a VW Scirocco and changed the oil every time it wasn't gold color any more. That tended to be around every 3,000 miles.

Oil circulates throughout the car and piciks up tiny metal pieces and dirt. If you do not change the oil often, those pieces continue to circulate and could concieveably do damage.

As long as I change the oil often my cars last forever. I do, however, get other required maintenance done. I just don't think the oil change should be underestimated.

SeeEss
I totally agree with the above......soooooo......... why does Lexus feel we can leave our oil in for 10,000 miles between oil changes using 0 w 20 wt synthetic oil????

#1. Maybe to wreck our engines to support their service bays?
#2. Doing their polical part in keeping "green"?
#3. Creating more sales from the bunny hugers? (see #2)
#4. All of the above.
Old 08-15-12, 11:39 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GRPFAN
I totally agree with the above......soooooo......... why does Lexus feel we can leave our oil in for 10,000 miles between oil changes using 0 w 20 wt synthetic oil????

#1. Maybe to wreck our engines to support their service bays?
#2. Doing their polical part in keeping "green"?
#3. Creating more sales from the bunny hugers? (see #2)
#4. All of the above.
Because the SCIENCE says so. actually you can go up to 16,000 miles with these synthetic oils.. so every 10,000 mile is a SAFE interval.
there have been tons of studies from engineers before they do a recommendation like this.

Service bays will EARN more if you go every 3,000 miles.. think about it! and most dealers would want you to go IN as OFTEN as you can.

Now, to answer the question, i have more than a couple of cars AND i do my own oil changes, modification ( changed the meep meep horn in the Prius to a FIAMM freeway blaster) that kind of thing.
So.. if it's FREE, like the the 5,000 and the 10,000/ 1 year service Go for it.
if you have to pay FOR it do ala carte.
There's no reason to do tire rotation every 2,000 miles
Old 08-15-12, 11:47 AM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

If you feel comfortable changing more often then needed then by all means do so. I have been changing my oil in my vehicles once a year or 10,000 miles for the last 10 -15 years without any problem. I've even sent in oil samples to Blackstone labs to be analysed to make sure it's holding up. 20 years or more ago I wouldn't have done this but today's engines and lubricants are a whole different breed. Just don't skimp and buy cheap stuff. I only use quality synthetics like Royal Purple or Mobile 1 and I stay away from cheapo Fram filters.