RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Wood & Leather trimmed steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-12, 04:39 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Wood & Leather trimmed steering wheel

My 2013 RX450h has the light gray leather with the ebony maple wood trim. This is the same interior combination on the LS460 I traded for my RX. On the LS, the wood on the steering wheel had the same wood grain as the other wood trim, but on my RX, the wood on the steering wheel has no grain. It looks like piano black or black plastic. It does not match the wood on the center console.

Those of you with a 2013 RX with the gray leather, is the wood on your steering wheel solid black, without any obvious grain, like mine?
Old 08-09-12, 11:21 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mike, I believe mine is the same as you describe. The photo doesn't do it justice...will try to get a better one when it's out in sunlight.

Old 08-09-12, 01:29 PM
MikeP
Advanced

John, Thanks for the picture. In looking at the picture of your wheel, I could see some variation in the color. It does not appear to be solid black. I took my camera and shot a couple of flash pictures and I can see the exact same thing in my pictures. Even though there is some variation, the wood on the steering wheel does not come close to matching the wood on the center console, at least in my RX. Please excuse the poor quality and darkness of the pictures. The wood on the console looks like bird's eye maple, but to me, the steering wheel does not look like wood at all. In all my other Lexus, at least 6, the wood steering wheel matched the other wood pretty closely.
Attached Thumbnails Wood & Leather trimmed steering wheel-img_0101-4-.jpg   Wood & Leather trimmed steering wheel-img_0102-4-.jpg   Wood & Leather trimmed steering wheel-img_0103-3-darker.jpg   Wood & Leather trimmed steering wheel-img_0104-4-darker.jpg  
Old 08-09-12, 03:04 PM
MikeP
Advanced

For comparison, this is the match in my 2010 LS460. Again, sorry for the poor quality.
Attached Thumbnails Wood & Leather trimmed steering wheel-dsc00781.jpg  
Old 08-09-12, 09:52 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to get off subject, but I just wanted to say I love the style of the whole steering wheel on the LS. We may need Texas Rxh to post a pic of the center console wood to see if it matches like Mike's.
Old 08-10-12, 09:20 PM
SAPNY
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my rx has light grey interier but the trim is brownish
Old 08-11-12, 04:59 AM
MikeP
Advanced

Originally Posted by SAPNY
my rx has light grey interier but the trim is brownish
Lexus changed the color of the wood trim to black with the light grey interior for the 2013 models. I wish they would have stayed with the traditional wood tone. My guess is this was a cost cutting measure because the steering wheel on the 2013's could be plastic or some much cheaper wood since there is no obvious wood grain. In the pictures, a slight moddled color appears because of the flash, but in bright sunlight, the wood on the steering wheel just looks black with no variation in color.
Old 08-11-12, 07:44 AM
SAPNY
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My issue with lexus is that instead of making the car more luxurious and increasing its appearance lexus decided to cut its luxurious appearance
I mean I had a CAMRY and the rx is no different than the camry - I really expected lexus to pack a punch and load it up with features but they just ride on their number 1 safety ratings i guess
The thing that annoys me the most is the ridiculous cruise - i mean even my 2002 honda has cruise buttons on the steering wheel - its about time lexus ups its game
Old 08-12-12, 08:24 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeP
Lexus changed the color of the wood trim to black with the light grey interior for the 2013 models. I wish they would have stayed with the traditional wood tone. My guess is this was a cost cutting measure because the steering wheel on the 2013's could be plastic or some much cheaper wood since there is no obvious wood grain. In the pictures, a slight moddled color appears because of the flash, but in bright sunlight, the wood on the steering wheel just looks black with no variation in color.
I'm not too crazy about all this black wood that Lexus has put in for the black interior and the gray interior either. They should have still offered the option of the espresso wood or the walnut. At this point, if I were to consider buying a 2013 model, I think I would be limited to picking a color that goes with the saddle or the beige interior so I could keep the brown/espresso wood trim color. That would limit me on exterior color choices.
Old 08-13-12, 11:50 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Originally Posted by EMSLEXUSRX
Sorry to get off subject, but I just wanted to say I love the style of the whole steering wheel on the LS. We may need Texas Rxh to post a pic of the center console wood to see if it matches like Mike's.
I found that it's difficult to get the light just right. There seems to always be a reflection on the surfaces that makes it hard to see the details. Here's the best I could do.

Old 08-13-12, 02:09 PM
MikeP
Advanced

John, thanks for the photo. I agree that it is tough to get an accurate picture. Black is pretty tough to photograph, especially with a camera or phone that has auto setting like most of us. Usually the dark is too light. Let me ask you this: when you look at the steering wheel in daylight, can you see any deviation in shades of black and gray, or does the wood just look black? Mine just looks like solid black. I like the look of the traditional wood and leather steering wheel, but would prefer all leather than to have the wood part look like black plastic.
Old 08-14-12, 02:01 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Mike, this one may help...I got just the right light on the console so you can clearly see the color and pattern but the steering wheel is not so good. There is a bit of a grain-looking pattern in the black but you almost have to get direct sunlight on it to see.

Old 08-14-12, 02:44 PM
MikeP
Advanced

John, thanks for all your help. I believe we have the same mismatched (my words) steering wheel and console wood finish. Guess "they all do that".
Old 08-14-12, 06:50 PM
plusONEran
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i love the "black" wood trim.. i think its so sleek.. im stuck with this bright wood grain i don't like... anyone local one to trade? =D
Old 08-14-12, 07:11 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeP
John, thanks for all your help. I believe we have the same mismatched (my words) steering wheel and console wood finish. Guess "they all do that".
I think with all the dislike of this " Black Wood" it could very well be discontinued next year. I know I would not have accepted it at all; looks like plastic in the steering wheel; maybe will be a rarity in the future and ultimately collectable!!