RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Reminder;NO Road Hazard on Michelin Tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-12, 09:03 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Reminder;NO Road Hazard on Michelin Tires

So I get home and there is a nail sticking out the side of my tire. I took it to Lexus Escondido, who wanted to sell me my Lexus for MSRP,,,they say no Road Hazard BUT they will match Discount tires price of $265 instead of $394....ouch.
I went to Discount tire; they got an adjustment on the tire; sold me Road Hazard on all four tires as well as free balancing and stems for life!! Great people to work with....Lexus; Terrible; first idiot SA I talked to looked at it and said it could be repaired!!!! So sad to have a 35 million dollar Lexus facility 2 miles from me and have to go everywhere else for all services!!!

Last edited by dctex99; 07-31-12 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Removed all profanity that I REALLY Felt!!!!
Old 07-31-12, 10:30 AM
mrsunny
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your experience and it's a shame that the dealership acted that way.

The road hazard is extremely helpful and would highly recommend to anyone when getting new tires. A few months ago I bought a set of Michelin tires for my other car from Sears and the elderly gentleman at the store counter highly recommended getting the road hazard warranty as it is very useful in worst case scenario. I usually don't buy warranty on the tires as I never before had bad experiences with tires. I ended up getting it on all the tires paying little extra at that time. A couple of months later I noticed one of my tires getting deflated very frequently and one day the tire was almost touching the ground. I took it to the Sears to get it checked out and it turns out that there was a hole on the side wall and they told me that it cannot be fixed and hence has to be replaced. They replaced my tire for free but just had to pay for the road hazard warranty(optional) and for the stems on the new one. It was a good experience for me and going forward I will make sure I get this warranty every time I buy new tires even though it costs a little extra but it's worth every penny when things go bad. Btw it was only $16 per tire.
Old 07-31-12, 11:46 AM
SAPNY
Rookie

Sears has road hazard for a nominal charge but if you are a member at Sams Club or Costco - road hazard is free
I usually buy tires from one of these three places
Old 07-31-12, 03:22 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

FYI...I believe Discount Tire will sell you their warranty no matter where you buy the tires. It's something like $25 - $35 per tire depending on the cost of the tire.
Old 07-31-12, 04:07 PM
mrsunny
Driver School Candidate

Warehouse clubs are definitely the best places to buy tires and most of them run promotions on a regular intervals with one brand at a time. Last time when I was looking for Michelins at Costco, they were running promotion on BridgeStones where as I wanted Michelins and right at that time Sears had a friends & family sale and clubbing that with some other discount I got the tires for about the same price.
Old 07-31-12, 05:56 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TexasRxh
FYI...I believe Discount Tire will sell you their warranty no matter where you buy the tires. It's something like $25 - $35 per tire depending on the cost of the tire.
That is correct as long as they have very few miles on them(mine 1952))) So with a generous coverage of my tire, and 4 Road Hazards on tires plus lifetime balancing/rotation I STILLl spent less than the $265 Starting point that Lexus Escondido would have reluctantly started at!! Great Job Discount Tire!! YMMV as always!
Old 07-31-12, 07:06 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I was going to get my Lattitudes at COSTCO but the dealer beat their price and included free repair at any Lexus store during the useful life of the tires.
Originally Posted by mrsunny
Warehouse clubs are definitely the best places to buy tires and most of them run promotions on a regular intervals with one brand at a time. Last time when I was looking for Michelins at Costco, they were running promotion on BridgeStones where as I wanted Michelins and right at that time Sears had a friends & family sale and clubbing that with some other discount I got the tires for about the same price.
Old 07-31-12, 07:34 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Cruiter
I was going to get my Lattitudes at COSTCO but the dealer beat their price and included free repair at any Lexus store during the useful life of the tires.
If you get a flat and are not near a Lexus dealer; Discount Tire will repair anyone's flat for free; very common among tire stores here EXCEPT Sears who charges $18.....amaziing And,,,,if you have a tire that really does not have a nail on the sidewall, but is really near the bottom and SEARS declines to repair it;;;;take it by Discount tire, they may fix it....SEARS obviously had a huge lawsuit at one time and are really paranoid on what tires they fix AND charge a lot when they do......

Last edited by dctex99; 07-31-12 at 07:37 PM. Reason: SEARS policies...
Old 07-31-12, 10:49 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Discount Tire screwed me big time, once. I will never go back. Bought tire and wheel insurance from the dealer and have already used it once. No additional cost when the tire was replaced and great service, not one scratch on my Chrome rims.
Old 08-02-12, 10:27 AM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

Wait, so you're complaining that the stealership didn't replace your tire for free and then offered to match someone else's price who is able to price so low because of the sheer volume in tires they do?

I have never ASSUMED that I had a road hazard warranty. I've always purchased a wheel and tire coverage plan for like 300 dollars at signing. Covers both tire and wheel damage and has already paid for itself. I've had 3 sidewall punctures in my 19s.

Last edited by kitlz; 08-02-12 at 01:15 PM. Reason: inappropriate remark
Old 08-02-12, 11:17 AM
shaolin
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TexasRxh
It's usually $10 per tire or 10% of time price. I use to work at Just Tires (under goodyear) and that's how they work... even till today.

The ins used to be the life of the tire but i think they now change it to 2 or 3 years. You can buy them as long there is tire life...
Old 08-02-12, 11:23 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by dctex99
So I get home and there is a nail sticking out the side of my tire. I took it to Lexus Escondido, who wanted to sell me my Lexus for MSRP,,,they say no Road Hazard BUT they will match Discount tires price of $265 instead of $394....ouch.
I went to Discount tire; they got an adjustment on the tire; sold me Road Hazard on all four tires as well as free balancing and stems for life!! Great people to work with....Lexus; Terrible; first idiot SA I talked to looked at it and said it could be repaired!!!! So sad to have a 35 million dollar Lexus facility 2 miles from me and have to go everywhere else for all services!!!
If you buy and install a new set of tires at Lexus dealer then they will include road hazards automatically BUT the set that comes with your NEW car will NOT have road hazards (this is what my Service Director told me). The tire manu. will replace the tires if they are defected (with in certain miles) or will prorate it within certain miles. There is a separated warranty booklet about the tires when you bought your new car.

When it is time for me to replace the tires, I will get quotes elsewhere and ask my dealer to match it so that I know Lexus certified techs worked on my car and I also get road hazards.
Old 08-02-12, 01:36 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
If you buy and install a new set of tires at Lexus dealer then they will include road hazards automatically BUT the set that comes with your NEW car will NOT have road hazards (this is what my Service Director told me). The tire manu. will replace the tires if they are defected (with in certain miles) or will prorate it within certain miles. There is a separated warranty booklet about the tires when you bought your new car.

When it is time for me to replace the tires, I will get quotes elsewhere and ask my dealer to match it so that I know Lexus certified techs worked on my car and I also get road hazards.
My Lexus dealer said he would MATCH Discount Tires price, but if I wanted Road Hazard on this tire it would be $37.25. If you pay the list price maybe they throw it in so you think it is free! Yes, I read the Michelin Wty booklet that came with my Lexus;;luckily Discount tire gave me a HUGE "Road Hazard" Credit for my lost tire against a new one!!