RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 12-16-14, 11:44 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

2010 RX350 DIY Brakes vs Lexus Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-15, 12:18 PM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Sevn86
Passed 90k and I got my brake pads changed at my friends shop for $258 including tax and everything. This price also includes brake fluid flush and rotor resurfacing. Couldn't be happier, but the only thing I'm worried about is I hear my brakes squeaking randomly when pulling up to a red light. It doesn't happen always but when it does I cringe. Does anyone know why they might be doing that? I'll take my car into his shop for him to check it out in a few days.
the squeak/squeal could be due to the clips and shims were not cleaned/regreased properly... i have found that while many 3rd party shops have a more reasonable rate to do brake jobs, i have yet to see one, including mine, grease these clips/shims... they usually just cut the rotor and then throw the new pads in... the hardware never gets addressed...

i have since purchased my own 3RX, so maybe next brake interval, i'll do a writeup on how to regrease the hardware...
Old 05-03-15, 09:29 PM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can someone show me where to buy the OEM break pads and rotors?

Last edited by sweetboy02; 05-03-15 at 10:00 PM.
Old 05-31-15, 06:00 PM
Johnny
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I apologize for disappearing for the last three years. Frequent travels to SE Asia over that time took its toll on my ability to monitor my threads. However, I'm back and can follow up on a number of topics, including this one.

I traded in my RX three days ago, after five years of excellent service and stellar performance. The odometer had 117,000 kilometers (73K miles) on it and the brake pads were the original factory pads. So, they can go a fair distance before replacement. However, I must stress that I use the transmission to slow down a lot.
Old 06-01-15, 07:30 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.com/
Old 06-01-15, 08:13 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Welcome back Johnny and thanks for the update. So what are you driving now that you traded in the RX?
Old 06-27-16, 06:02 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

For anyone who is interested, I just completed a 4-wheel brake job on my 2013 RX 350. What a piece of cake. The first wheel (front left) took about an hour because it was my first time on a Lexus. The other three wheels took about 20 minutes each. I purchased new rotors and ceramic pads marketed by Brake Motive on ebay. Yes, I got the drilled/slotted rotors, even though they do not add any real benefit, in most cases. Don't bother making comments about how "stupid" I am, like someone did to another person who bought the d/s rotors.

We bought the car from a dealer with 45K, and no knowledge of any brake work. There was a bit of modulation in the rotors on turns while braking, so I just decided to go with all new stuff. Wow!! The car stops so much better, and the brakes are so smooth, and quiet. My wife is ecstatic.

It's an easy job....if you have some mechanical talent, don't pay a dealer nearly $1000 for a complete job. DIY, take your time, and save some money.
Old 10-14-16, 05:30 PM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone cleaned their slide pins before? Mine was stuck so I pulled it for new lube. When I tried to reinsert it, it felt even more stuck. I'm assuming the black bushing got stuck near the beginning. Any ideas?

Old 10-17-16, 06:54 AM
Clutchless

No, but I wonder if it is just stuck on some dried lube left in the hole. I trust you cleaned it and the hole and looked into the hole with a flashlight. It looks like you coated it with Sil-Glyde, my favorite brake slide pin lube. Maybe spray out the hole with brake cleaner and a swab.
Old 10-20-16, 05:05 PM
chas410
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm a first time Lexus owner. After of 25 years of owning Acura and Hondas I have given up and went to Lexus I have always done my own brake jobs and used Akebono brake pads because they state that they are the oem manufacturer for Honda. I also see the same claim for Lexus and Toyota. Rockauto.com has some good prices. Has any of you tried these pads on your cars?
Old 11-06-17, 07:56 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Changed front brake pads this weekend

I changed the wife's front brake pads in like 45 mins this past Saturday. I think the longest part was removing the tires and putting them back on. This is a useful skill for anybody who enjoys fixing their vehicles for themselves.
Old 11-17-17, 03:02 PM
hubble998
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As the original owner of a 2014 RX350, I just did the front pads and rotors at 38k KM. The inside pad on both sides was almost down to metal, the outers had alot of meat left.. had tons of heavy rust on the inside of the rotors and I mean chunks of rust..I do live up north.. so climate is a factor..I do have an auto mechanic background so doing the work was straight forward but was anticipating stuck guide pin or a stuck caliper piston, nope nadda.. everything looked and worked just as it should. I do mostly city driving, stop and go.. but have usually gotten twice the milage out of a set of pads and rotors on my other vehicles. Seems the RX likes to eat front pads and rotors...I dunno?..

One oddity I did notice was the slide pin grease from the factory was brown in color.. almost looked like normal axel grease.. not synthetic/silicon but the pin's did slide easily .. no nightmares.. no torch etc..

Last edited by hubble998; 11-17-17 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-05-18, 05:31 PM
tranft
Driver School Candidate

Any recommendation on brake fluid? Not a track vehicle, just city driving LOL.
OEM or aftermarket? TIA
Old 03-06-18, 09:59 AM
Clutchless

Always aftermarket brake fluid. It all meets the same standards. Go for one of the major brands, Valvoline, Castrol, Prestone etc. They are all synthetic.
Old 03-06-18, 07:18 PM
tranft
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Always aftermarket brake fluid. It all meets the same standards. Go for one of the major brands, Valvoline, Castrol, Prestone etc. They are all synthetic.
thank you very much
Old 04-04-18, 05:34 PM
Zipit555
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My mother has a '13 RX that just hit 30k miles. Dealer is recommending brake line service per the Maint schedule. What say ye all? Should we do it or wait?

Quick Reply: 2010 RX350 DIY Brakes vs Lexus Dealer