RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 12-16-14, 11:44 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

2010 RX350 DIY Brakes vs Lexus Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-14, 06:13 PM
JerseyRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Replaced the Front Brakes and Rotors with all Toyota/Lexus parts. Very Happy with OEM Parts.
My 2010 is used and the Dealer wanted to change the pads, cut the rotors and added the missing shims for $850. Sewell is a good source, did the job correctly for $300.
Old 07-09-14, 07:31 PM
svidas
Rookie

Did you get the fit kit and shims too? By Sewell did the job correctly did they do the service or just supply all the parts?
Old 07-09-14, 07:32 PM
svidas
Rookie

My local Lexus said $366 for pads and resurfacing. $300 sounds very good.
Old 07-10-14, 08:39 AM
JerseyRX
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by svidas
Did you get the fit kit and shims too? By Sewell did the job correctly did they do the service or just supply all the parts?
I needed the shims since they were missing. I did not replace the Fit Kit, saw no need too.
Resurfacing rotors are the same price as new rotors. I chose new...

Did $366 include installation???
Old 07-10-14, 09:23 PM
svidas
Rookie

$366 was for them changing pads and only resurfacing rotors. I will probably do it myself instead.
Old 07-30-14, 12:54 PM
ghuns
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I had ours in for the headlight recall and was told I have 3mm on the front pads and 5mm on the back. Looks like a brake job is my immediate future. The service guy couldn't believe that the pads are at 70K miles. I will definitely being buying OEM pads and doing it myself.
Old 08-04-14, 01:11 PM
pmanliu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone know how to designate whether you have a Canadaian or Japan made RX350? Sewell says if your car's vin starts with ST then buy X brake pad. If it starts with JT then buy Y brake pad. Im guessing JT = japan made but was wondering if someone can confirm.

The reason i ask is because i am shopping for brake pads on rockauto and lot of the parts say "Exceptp Japan Built Vehicle". Being that my car is in the USA, im guessing its a japan built vehicle?
Old 08-04-14, 01:51 PM
RVH
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW, I got all four brakes done here in New Hampshire for $930 at about 65,000 miles.
Old 08-04-14, 03:07 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by pmanliu
Does anyone know how to designate whether you have a Canadaian or Japan made RX350? Sewell says if your car's vin starts with ST then buy X brake pad. If it starts with JT then buy Y brake pad. Im guessing JT = japan made but was wondering if someone can confirm.

The reason i ask is because i am shopping for brake pads on rockauto and lot of the parts say "Exceptp Japan Built Vehicle". Being that my car is in the USA, im guessing its a japan built vehicle?
VIN starting with JT = Japan
VIN starting with 2T = Canada
Old 08-05-14, 06:08 AM
pritesh85
Driver School Candidate

Hi Johnny,

Thanks for the great write up. I will try to do over the weekend.
Old 10-07-14, 11:36 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Woot! I did the brakes on my IS350 and am.looking to do the RX350. BTW the Akebono ceramic brakes I highly recommend. Had to do and emergency maneuver the other day with some idiot who decided to STOP on a freeway exit/entrance to let someone cut over. Here I am closing in on him with only fifteen feet left separating us at freeway speed I had to apply the brakes HARD and steer wide right. Brakes did awesome while still allowing me to steer.

Anyway went to Sewell to order the oem rotors $135 which is reasonable but was not to crazy about the $48 shipping charge to California.Seems kind of steep. I'll pass on that.
Old 10-27-14, 09:49 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

yesterday my buddy and I were set to change the brakes on his wife's '13 model (currently 63k miles)... at the last maintenance interval, the dealership said that there was only 3-5mm left on the pads and were close to becoming a safety hazard... they quoted him $2k for all four rotors and pads, because the tech said the hybrid used special rotors that shouldn't be cut for the battery regeneration system.... at the time he called me, I said $2k is ridiculous, lets order the parts from Sewell (all under $500 inc shipping)...

fast forward to yesterday, we put the truck up on the lift, pull the front passenger wheel and caliper and I look at the pad... that's odd, still looks pretty thick to me... I measure the front pad, 8mm!!! just to make sure we didn't have uneven wear, we pull all the wheels to rotate, and fronts were at 8mm, rears at 7.65mm...

so we regreased all the clips and shims, put everything back together and we will check at 100k mi... this just angered me that the stealership would pull this crap (and at a $2k pricetag to boot!!!)...

so when the dealership tells you that you need new brakes, either have them show you the pad, or get a second opinion...
Old 10-28-14, 04:43 PM
raylor4
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Kamlung,
Stealership is right! Now we know how they afford the high overhead. Thanks for sharing. Forewarned is forearmed. Oh yes, since there's regenerative braking involved, that would explain the slight brake wear. PS My brother lives in Helmetta, near New Brunswick.
Old 03-07-15, 10:55 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Passed 90k and I got my brake pads changed at my friends shop for $258 including tax and everything. This price also includes brake fluid flush and rotor resurfacing. Couldn't be happier, but the only thing I'm worried about is I hear my brakes squeaking randomly when pulling up to a red light. It doesn't happen always but when it does I cringe. Does anyone know why they might be doing that? I'll take my car into his shop for him to check it out in a few days.
Old 03-09-15, 11:34 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,093 Likes on 932 Posts

It could be they just need to break in over a few hundred miles. I would try a few hard (no abs activation) stops from 40 mph and let them cool off afterward to bed them in to the rotors. Did your friend the mechanic use Lexus pads? It may be cheap aftermarket pads causing the occasional squeak. Or maybe they forgot to grease one of the sliding surfaces or torqued something too high.

Quick Reply: 2010 RX350 DIY Brakes vs Lexus Dealer