RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Please recommend accessories for 2013 Rx450h

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-12, 11:25 PM
RxRPh
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please recommend accessories for 2013 Rx450h

Curious to know what type of accessories other owners have found useful and where you purchased them. I was thinking about door edge guards, wheel locks, clear bra, etc.
Old 07-22-12, 04:39 AM
cloud11244
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RxRPh
Curious to know what type of accessories other owners have found useful and where you purchased them. I was thinking about door edge guards, wheel locks, clear bra, etc.
I recently bought a 2012 RX and purchased 3M clear bra (full hood/fenders, front bumper, headlights/fog lights, mirrors), body side moldings, mudguards, and ding repair contract (from dealer). That's about the best I can do to protect this baby, but I know something will inevitably happen.
Old 07-22-12, 05:49 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

• Wheel Locks, of course -- added at port of entry at time of purchase (you can buy them from Sewell or any dealer that sells McGard who manufactures them all
  • Cargo Net (wouldn't be without one in any of my rides) -- added at port of entry at time of purchase (you can also by them from Sewell)
  • Carpeted Cargo Mat -- added at port of entry at time of purchase (also available from Sewell)
  • Lexus Key Gloves -- added at port of entry at time of purchase (available from Sewell too)
  • Lexus All-weather Mats -- from Sewell
  • Lexus OEM Mudguards -- from Sewell; Self-installed
  • Roll-up (Flex Shade) Windshield Sunshade -- from Covercraft via AJ-USA for best price (the version from Sewell is similar, if not identical)
  • Custom Rear-Seat Canine Protector -- from Canine Covers via Autogeek.com for best price
  • Lexus Trailer Hitch -- added at port of entry at time of purchase (but you could buy it from Sewell and there are reports of aftermarket versions as well)
  • (Mickey Icon) Trailer Hitch Cover -- from eBay
  • Masterlock Hitch Lock -- from Home Depot (to keep above from being snatched)
  • Hard Chrome (Brass) Custom License Plate Frame -- from Gunther Gifts
  • Apple iPod USB Cable -- from Amazon (to ensure compatibility, only buy THE REAL THING and not a cheap knock-off -- see other threads as to why)
  • USB Male-to-Female 6" Extension Cable -- from Amazon (in case I ever put in a too-long USB memory stick and want to close the console cover)
My truck is fairly loaded with nearly all options except rear seat entertainment, so I think that's it. I have a set of color-matched side body mouldings from Sewell, but have not put them on yet, and likely won't -- IMO they look too-feminine with their pointy ends, even though the standard versions that came with my 2006 RX400h (with straighter ends) took a couple of hits by !$(#*@% people, preventing further damage to my side panels. Nothing else planned -- specifically no clear bra, or door edge guards (as I'm very careful when I open my doors and have bumpers on the side walls in my garage just-in-case).

Note: There are fairly recent threads elsewhere on CL with more detail on individual topics like mats, mudguards, side mouldings, sun shades, seat covers, trailer hitches, license plate frames, etc.

Last edited by BertL; 07-22-12 at 07:02 AM. Reason: Added license plate frame; Reformatted
Old 07-22-12, 06:53 AM
DINH300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found myself on the side of the I-75 trying to loosen the lock nut that some dump a$$ at the dealer over Torqued so I stripped the Key and ended up towing the car home. I don't think anyone is going to steal wheels off the RX350 so the Lock nuts are useless to me. I'm going to the dealer to buy regular lug nuts tomorrow.

I find HID fogs to be very handy and all times, Oem all weather Trunk mat was the best 94 dollars I've ever spent. Cargo net come in handy all the time.

Besides that every things else Navi, heated ventilated seats, Auto high beams, auto wipers, Pivoting/leveling headlights are all a waste of money for me cause I really don't use any of that while driving to and from work everyday.
Old 07-22-12, 10:24 AM
jimmymagic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wheel-lock key will ultimately be stripped. (Happened to my Highlander and tire repair shop said it happens all the time.) I had them pulled from my RX 350 as soon as I took delivery.
Old 07-22-12, 11:09 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmymagic
The wheel-lock key will ultimately be stripped. (Happened to my Highlander and tire repair shop said it happens all the time.) I had them pulled from my RX 350 as soon as I took delivery.
If you have careful people removiing tires they hand remove the one with the lock and they will last forever! I don't think anyone would really want these wheels with all the really nice ones available aftermarket so probably little risk in doing away with the locks. A sad waste of money for many;but the same with the leather "remote gloves"; my wife bought a colorful one that matches her phone and trashed the leather one...ohh well...
Old 07-22-12, 11:23 AM
RxRPh
Driver School Candidate

Thanks all for the responses so far - very useful. My vehicle came loaded with almost everything I wanted, including cargo net, cargo mat, etc, and the dealer provided me with two key gloves and two Lexus key rings. However, I will do a search for mudguards, flex shade, trailer hitch, USB M-F extension, etc. as BertL suggested.

As an aside, as a newcomer to this forum, I have been pleased with the level of civility displayed by folks to one another. That is something that is not always the case in other online communities.
Old 07-22-12, 11:30 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks all for the responses so far - very useful. My vehicle came loaded with almost everything I wanted, including cargo net, cargo mat, etc, and the dealer provided me with two key gloves and two Lexus key rings. However, I will do a search for mudguards, flex shade, trailer hitch, USB M-F extension, etc. as BertL suggested.

As an aside, as a newcomer to this forum, I have been pleased with the level of civility displayed by folks to one another. That is something that is not always the case in other online communities.
Your last line, SO TRUE...there have been two people going on about their Acura MDX's on here recently;;;;on the Cadillac Forum someone would have banned them for life and maybe gone to their house and threatened them....lol. Those Cadillac people are really intense about all the problems with those SRXs..........lolol
Old 07-22-12, 01:03 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

While a bit off the original subject, but to add an additional point of view on wheel lock reliability, I've had McGard wheel locks (same as what Lexus OEMs) on every one of my vehicles since the late 70's and never had a failure. (I also order and keep a secondary key at home for each set of locks, just-in-case, but have never made use of one across 12 or so vehicles in that time.) I no longer venture or have to park in "those parts of town" where wheel locks may have more practical value these days, but enjoy the piece of mind they provide me just the same.
Old 07-22-12, 02:09 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Welcome to our forum, we're glad you're here. You've got a nice car but of course I'm partial .

The RX series just seems to attract a slightly older group of folks that aren't dead yet but maybe a little more mature from life's experiences. We moderators thank you for the kind remark as I'm sure do the members of the RX forums.

Last edited by Cruiter; 07-23-12 at 12:33 PM. Reason: words
Old 07-22-12, 03:11 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

"The RX series just seems to attract a slightly older group of folks that aren't dead yet but maybe a little more mature from life's experiences."

Jim: Are you suggesting we were around to witness the first stage in the forming of petroleum and therefore the reason it has been named Fossil Fuel?
Old 07-22-12, 03:39 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Umm no, were you there ??? . But I do remember buying gas at $.25 and being able to go to the airport with bag and check book and no ticket. And no problem, go anywhere and family & friends lined up at the gate waving you off. Now I know to many of you that sounds old because you never knew prices or life such as that. But I still popped outta bed this morning and did my crunchy's. But didn't do laps at the pool, got ready for church instead. Funny thing, sermon was "Who am I" ???

Came back for one side note: I remember when we could take our BB guns or 1st .22cal to school for show & tell. Try that today and stay out of jail.
Originally Posted by MikeP
"The RX series just seems to attract a slightly older group of folks that aren't dead yet but maybe a little more mature from life's experiences."

Jim: Are you suggesting we were around to witness the first stage in the forming of petroleum and therefore the reason it has been named Fossil Fuel?

Last edited by Cruiter; 07-22-12 at 03:46 PM. Reason: spelling/ more meaningless words
Old 07-22-12, 04:38 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

1) License Plate Frame: http://www.brandsport.com/sub-soa342l104.html
2) Sewell's Sunshade: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2010/2655.html
3) Flashlight: http://www.jet-beam.com/links/pro/pa40.aspx
4) Individually wrapped hand wipes; small container of hand sanitizer
5) Extra set of floor mats: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/closeout.html
6) 6 High-end towels that match interior color; also, a set of microfiber cloths that can be used quickly to clean/dust if required in the car (I like to clean my steering when when sitting at lights sometimes)
7) Cargo net, cargo mat, wheel locks, etc. that came with car

Still looking for: 2 color coordinating pillows.

Last edited by UCSB; 07-22-12 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-22-12, 06:17 PM
PTmobile
Driver

When you get the clear bra (which is a must if you want to keep it looking new) get the door edge guards and door cups done in paint protection film as well. We install clear door edge gaurds all the time and they look much better than the thicker rubber ones. Door cups are an easy add on as well.
Old 07-23-12, 02:02 PM
mac12
Intermediate

I got a set of all weather mats from weathertech and got the front side windows tinted to more match the rear ones. I also put a hitch and body side moldings on ours.

Quick Reply: Please recommend accessories for 2013 Rx450h