RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How to check oil type 0W-20 or 5W-30? Dealer might give me wrong oil change

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-12, 07:32 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How to check oil type 0W-20 or 5W-30? Dealer might give me wrong oil change

I stopped by Toyota dealer to have oil changed. On the paper slip, they stated 1 Quartz of 5W-30 was put in. I called them and they said that just a mistype on the paper. The representative told me he confirmed with the tech who did the oil change that should be 0W-20 and tell me don't worry.

How can i trust them? How to check the oil?
Thanks
Old 07-18-12, 10:07 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I once heard those oil change places have like a test strip to test oil to determine if they should use conventional or synthetic oil in a car they are doing for the first time.

Myth?

Sweetboy,

This time is no different than anytime. You'll always be in a situation where you must trust folks working on your car, unless you can stand there and watch them change the oil, or any other service they may perform.

Last edited by DunWkg; 07-18-12 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-18-12, 10:41 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetboy02
I stopped by Toyota dealer to have oil changed. On the paper slip, they stated 1 Quartz of 5W-30 was put in. I called them and they said that just a mistype on the paper. The representative told me he confirmed with the tech who did the oil change that should be 0W-20 and tell me don't worry.

How can i trust them? How to check the oil?
Thanks
I will take them for their word that it's a typo.
OR you can have another oil change after 5,000 miles instead of the recommended 10,000/1yr interval.
Old 07-18-12, 10:42 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
I once heard those oil change places have like a test strip to test oil to determine if they should use conventional or synthetic oil in a car they are doing for the first time.

Myth?

Sweetboy,

This time is no different than anytime. You'll always be in a situation where you must trust folks working on your car, unless you can stand there and watch them change the oil, or any other service they may perform.
Uh, I have trust, but not sure what will damage the engine if wrong oil type there. That's the only concern. Hmmm I should bring it to Lexus dealer next time??? Saving some $ with this "big question mark" is not really worth it
Old 07-18-12, 01:42 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Just ask the dealer rep to give you in writing that 0w20w was put in the car and you should be fine. If you want tell him you're concerned enough you'd like the oil changed again. He just might do it to eliminate any mistrust.
Uh, I have trust, but not sure what will damage the engine if wrong oil type there. That's the only concern. Hmmm I should bring it to Lexus dealer next time??? Saving some $ with this "big question mark" is not really worth it
Old 07-18-12, 01:52 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Just ask the dealer rep to give you in writing that 0w20w was put in the car and you should be fine. If you want tell him you're concerned enough you'd like the oil changed again. He just might do it to eliminate any mistrust.
The slightly heavier oil won't hurt your engine; it will just affect your gas mileage a little,,,and summer is the time to have a slightly heavier oil if anytime......I would do as Jim suggested...talk to the SA and he will either assure you it was done correctly by checking with the mechanic that did it,,,or possibly change again to give you peace of mind!!
Old 07-18-12, 01:55 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Not sure this will help, but perhaps.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ollection.aspx

Jim, has a very good idea.
Old 07-18-12, 09:41 PM
Cough
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

. On the paper slip, they stated 1 Quartz of 5W-30 was put in.:
If they only put 1 Quart in then you are more screwed than by the oil type...............
Old 07-19-12, 06:30 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

One of the reasons I change my own engine oil and oil filter. I know what I am putting in my car. When I take my car for repair or maintenance, I bring my own parts and I tell them to save the olds parts. My pretext is I want to see how the parts are wearing or what their condition is e.g. brake pads, fuel fitler, belts. But I also want to make sure they remove and replace them.
Old 07-19-12, 07:14 AM
ejm3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cough
If they only put 1 Quart in then you are more screwed than by the oil type...............
Exactly what I was thinking!

Then I thought they were just topping it off and mixed a different type oil with the existing oil.
But that doesn't seem to be the case.
Old 07-19-12, 07:16 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

The oils are so good these days you could run non-synthetic oil 10,000 miles without any problem.
Old 07-19-12, 07:20 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

RE: this Gen III forum you're badly misinformed. In the manual and also on the website and on the oil cap itself, the Gen III engines are designed only for synthetic 0w20w oil. Anything else could very well void the warranty.
Originally Posted by MARQEVANS
The oils are so good these days you could run non-synthetic oil 10,000 miles without any problem.
Old 07-19-12, 07:26 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
RE: this Gen III forum you're badly misinformed. In the manual and also on the website and on the oil cap itself, the Gen III engines are designed only for synthetic 0w20w oil. Anything else could very well void the warranty.
Had a 2010 and the switch to synthetic was not made until after I owned the car awhile. Doubt regular oil would significantly hurt the engine.
Old 07-19-12, 10:07 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 the benefit of the synthetic oil is the longer interval period.
i have to check my manual again, but i have no doubt you can even use mineral oil ( dinosaur oil) but you would have to change it every 5,000 miles.

i only use 0W-20 on both the RX and the Prius by the way.
Old 07-19-12, 11:50 AM
ejm3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lets be honest cars, have been running just fine on regular motor oil for decades.

I've personally had cars go 200k on normal oil, you just have to change it more frequently. But even then in my 04 Acura TL the oil light only came on every 7k miles or so and that was conventional oil and that car ran great well over 100k miles when I sold it.

All that said I now want synthetic in my cars. I even put synthetic in my lawn mower and snow blower.

Quick Reply: How to check oil type 0W-20 or 5W-30? Dealer might give me wrong oil change