RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Oil Change Interval?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-12, 05:26 AM
ejm3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Oil Change Interval?

The oil on my 2010 RX was last changed at bout 29k miles, just prior to me buying the car.
This sticker on the window from the dealer said the the next oil change was due around 39k.
I figured with synthetic oil, 10k interval sounds about right.

But this weekend an oil change message showed up and I'm only at 36k.

Does this make sense?
Old 07-17-12, 05:41 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Your maintenance interval range needs set to 10k. Your service tech can do that for you coulc do it as well via your menu. It is in the owners manual
Old 07-17-12, 06:58 AM
Paul B
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One of two things has occured. Someone set the oil change message to come on sooner than 10K or your last oil change was really done at 26K miles.
Old 07-17-12, 08:18 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

ejm3, the change oil message will come up every 5K miles. You can reset it yourself. Takes literally a few seconds. Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I'm not due until November. I reset it and the message is gone.
Old 07-17-12, 11:28 AM
ejm3
Driver

Originally Posted by kitlz
ejm3, the change oil message will come up every 5K miles. You can reset it yourself. Takes literally a few seconds. Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I'm not due until November. I reset it and the message is gone.
Yes. I called the dealer and he said that basically its telling me to come in for my 5k service, which doesn't include an actual oil change but other service [that I looked up and will not be doing].

He confirmed that the oil change interval is in fact 10k, so I will be do around 39k.

I know the oil was changed (and whatever else they do @ the 30k service) at 29k because the dealer posted it on the website.

Now how can I get rid of the message?
Old 07-17-12, 01:21 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by ejm3
Now how can I get rid of the message?
Click reset in my previous post.

Last edited by kitlz; 07-17-12 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-17-12, 05:55 PM
ejm3
Driver

Thank you!
Old 07-18-12, 05:56 PM
mike302
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am due for the 15K mile maintenance, and the instrument cluster displays the oil maintenance message. I was surprised to see from the dealers I use that 15K mile maintenance doesn't include an oil change.

This will be the first maintenance I am paying for.... If it's not necessary I don't want to waste the time and money. But if I skip this service, will it affect my warranty in any way?
Old 07-18-12, 07:25 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Normal driving calls for the oil and filter to be changed with 0w20w synthetic oil at 12 month or 10,000 mile intervals whichever occurs 1st.
Originally Posted by mike302
I am due for the 15K mile maintenance, and the instrument cluster displays the oil maintenance message. I was surprised to see from the dealers I use that 15K mile maintenance doesn't include an oil change.

This will be the first maintenance I am paying for.... If it's not necessary I don't want to waste the time and money. But if I skip this service, will it affect my warranty in any way?
Old 07-19-12, 06:58 AM
ejm3
Driver

Yeah look online at what they will do at 15k. Its basically inspect this and check that but no oil or filter until 20k. Probably an hour or so of labor and $150.

I'm skipping my 35k service since nothing is wrong with the car. And if something goes wrong its under warranty anyway.
Old 07-19-12, 10:02 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

what i do, and what i think everyone who owns a car should do, is look at your service booklet ( came with the instruction manual, warranty, etc.)
This way, you will know what's to be performed on your car and avoid any additional "work" suggested by your dealer/3rd party service advisor.

With 15,000 miles check all your fluid levels ( brake, steering, oil Etc)
the only thing you have to pay for is the tire rotation, which you can easily get for $19.99 at any tire shop.
you can reset the oil reminder message yourself
Old 07-19-12, 04:32 PM
kwbuggy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Agree 100% Mark

And if you don't feel like reading the owner's manual or if someone has made off with it, just log into the Lexus website, type in your mileage and the website will let you know when your next service is due and what is required. Takes about two minutes!
Old 07-19-12, 05:44 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

My dealer's website gives me the recommended service and their prices when I make an appointment online. But I leave it up to my SA to tell me what absolutely needs to be done.
Old 07-19-12, 05:55 PM
tim5055
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
My dealer's website gives me the recommended service and their prices when I make an appointment online. But I leave it up to my SA to tell me what absolutely needs to be done.
Unfortunately at many dealerships there is a difference between what they (dealership) says needs to be done and what Lexus says needs to be done. Open your manual and look at what Lexus recommends. Anything above that is additional dealer profit helping pay for the comfy chairs and coffee in the waiting room

While most SAs are very nice folks, their pay depends on what they can sell you. Remember what peoples functions are in the equation, yours is to keep as much of your hard earned money as possible and the SA's job is to separate you from your money
Old 07-19-12, 06:40 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by tim5055
Unfortunately at many dealerships there is a difference between what they (dealership) says needs to be done and what Lexus says needs to be done. Open your manual and look at what Lexus recommends. Anything above that is additional dealer profit helping pay for the comfy chairs and coffee in the waiting room

While most SAs are very nice folks, their pay depends on what they can sell you. Remember what peoples functions are in the equation, yours is to keep as much of your hard earned money as possible and the SA's job is to separate you from your money
Tim, I've had the same SA for 13 1/2 years. She drives an RX herself, so does the tech that works on my RX. She knows what's needed and when. And it's never more than what's required. BTW, my last service was free.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Interval?