RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rear Seat Protector

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-12, 11:55 PM
surferdude
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Seat Protector

I got myself a new 2012 rx350 with beige interior.

Does anyone know if there are rear seat protectors for the rx. I'm not looking for canine protectors. My son will soon be going to summer camp and I will be one of many carpoolers. My son behaves well when he's in the car but the others, I don't know. Any recommendations?
Old 07-11-12, 05:37 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats on your new ride and welcome to CL!

I know you say you're not looking for a canine protector, but if you're looking for something that can handle solid and liquid spills without worry it may touch your leather (especially if they are perforated aniline), or rough and tumble kids who may get their feet or dirty whatever on the leather, I'd buy my custom canine protector as a "kid protector" in a moment. Not cheap at $340 (a bit cheaper through other sites like Autogeek), but is designed specifically for the vehicle (just say it's a 2012 and you're OK) and fits like a glove -- can come off via velcro and go in the wash when you need to, but looks good other times when no one is in the back. Unlike cheap generic models, you can still drop part of the seat backs if you need to, and there is velcro access to the seat belts and baby seat tie-downs should you need them. I had one of these on my 2006 RX400h for it's last 3 years, and now have a "tan" polycotton on my month-old RX450h which goes fairly well with my parchment interior like yours.

Good luck on your car pool!
Old 07-12-12, 06:46 AM
V1VrV2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by surferdude
Does anyone know if there are rear seat protectors for the rx. I'm not looking for canine protectors. My son will soon be going to summer camp and I will be one of many carpoolers. My son behaves well when he's in the car but the others, I don't know. Any recommendations?
Congrats on your purchase!

We're in the same situation here, looking for a rear bench seat cover for our 2012 450h. We have a 2.5 year old and a newborn on the way in a few weeks, so basic seat protection was top of our list. I just ordered a universal seat cover set off of Amazon and will report back on how well it works once it arrives. While it claims to be "universal," it was inexpensive ($70) that I figured I could use scissors to "customize" it as needed. Basic seat protection is what we were after, not something that looked OEM.

The 2 year old's seat is rear-facing right now, and I have a set of Rover seat back protectors on the rear seats now (like
these these
, but in black - which don't appear to be available anymore). They are installed forward-facing on the rear seats right now in lieu of the aforementioned full, 40/20/40 protector. They don't fit particularly well in this manner but it's not how they were designed to fit either, but they do keep him from kicking the rear seats in his rear-facing car seat. Once the full cover arrives, I'll put these on the backs of the front seats to keep him from scuffing those.
Old 08-09-12, 08:11 AM
V1VrV2
Driver School Candidate

To follow-up with this thread and the OP's question, here's our experience. We ended up getting some really cheap seat protectors off of Amazon - (
link link
). For $70, I figured if they didn't work, I wasn't out a whole lot and could invest in something more substantial.

Installation was really straightforward once you figured out which parts of the cover go where. The rear seat bottom cover isn't really that tight since it'd difficult to get into the nooks and crannies into which you'd need to reach in order to tighten the straps, but it stays on and only requires occasional readjustment. The instructions on the seat cover recommend cutting your own holes for the seat belt passthroughs, etc., which I didn't need to do. However, I did use an Exacto knife to cut holes for the rear headrest riser bars - and with only a $70 investment, I didn't have a twinge of guilt cutting into the cover.

The color match is fairly close to our tan - not exact, but close enough (not that I cared a whole lot about that - protection was our main concern).

Overall are they the best thing ever? No, but they do what we need them to do in that they protect the seat from flying food bits and little footprints. Protection from liquid spills probably isn't too high either, but we'll be enforcing a "covered containers only" policy with the kids when they're riding in the car so it's not been an issue.

Additionally, I've installed the Rover seatback protector mentioned in my post above this one on the back of the passenger seat for added protection.

Image of the installation
Old 08-13-12, 11:07 AM
surferdude
Driver School Candidate

V1VrV2, the seat cover that you ordered, how about the middle seat belt. The covers I've seen don't open where the middle seat belt is located. Did you have to make a hole for it?