RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Wood Gone

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-12, 02:30 PM
Paul B
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just curious, what is the side view monitor?
Old 07-07-12, 10:23 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a good demo on the Lexus RX website:

http://www.lexus.com/models/RX/featu...e_monitor.html

There's no longer a link to it in the 2013 RX "Exterior" page, but the address still works and it'll take you to the pre-2013 feature demo.

it's certainly a very useful feature for me.
Old 07-08-12, 07:54 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use the side view camera a lot. It has saved me many a scraped tire and rim.

Like Jim said, just makes me appreciate my old 2010 even more.
Old 07-08-12, 05:41 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

really? I dont use mine at all. For one, it wont let me activate unless you are creeping, so when I am coming to a stop, I am constantly trying to push the button to activate it and it never does. If I leave it on the auto on, then I get dizzy from it constantly turning on at every stop. And even when it is on when I need it, the picture quality is way too blurry
Old 07-08-12, 11:25 PM
wyau01
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It only goes on below 8mph. I played with that button a lot when in traffic.
Old 09-13-12, 03:13 PM
gregruns
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine does not, I wish it did, I love the way it looks in contrast with the rest of the environment in the back. It's a very classy touch.
Old 09-13-12, 04:49 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

...or consider seeing if you could get the part for a 2013 RX450h, which, with the luxury package here in the US still comes with the wood trim some folks are yearning for on the rear seat drop-down console. I'm not 100% sure it will fit, but my guess is yes -- and the parts dept could probably help you out in that regard.

...I say all that as while it appears it's gone from the RX350, my 9 week old RX450h sitting in my garage has the wood trim being discussed. I'm not trying to rub it in, as I personally don't care if I have it one way or the other (you can't have mine though!), but wanted to offer a possible alternative and to ensure folks reading this in the future understand the rear console trim now appears as another of those few little "upgrades" Lexus is only making available on the RXh line.
Old 09-13-12, 05:11 PM
sarhento
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TxTarheel
I called and had a long discussion with Lexus CS today. The wood for the center console in the rear seat was removed from all 2013 RX350's and you can not even order it from the factory if you wanted to. If you look at the online brochure it shows it but they will tell you that the brochure is not guaranteed. All you get now is a plastic piece the same color as the interior. Not much you can do about it. Lexus way of saving a few bucks I guess.
Really? Are you saying that the trim for the rear console on 2013 RX350 is plastic and not wood? The reason I ask is because I have 1a 2013 RX and I think the trim is wood and not plastic. I could be wrong though.
Old 09-14-12, 07:48 AM
BertL

I know you were not asking about a RX450h, but since the vast majority of interior/exterior parts are common between the two, simply wanted to offer an idea of how to possibly proceed if it's that important to you. I agree it will most likely be cost prohibitive as parts like that tend to be fairly large subassemblies, e.g. they eliminated the flaps to the back seat from the tonneau cover on the 2013s that I miss, but I wouldn't pay the $500+ to buy a 2012 version (from Sewell with the discount) that included them and throw my 2013 version away that came with the truck just 2 months ago -- although another reader on CL did exactly that, as it was that important to him.

On the NAV opening screen: I never made the attempt as I found it impossible to locate the pixel dimensions of the screen and simply didn't want to dink with multiple variations over and over to keep the aspect ratio right. I could be suprised and some sort of magic happens with appropriate clipping of the JPG inside the Nav, but I doubted they would go that far for something most people would never touch. I could be pleasantly suprised, though, I admit. I'm too much of a stickler for detail, and it would drive me nuts if it didn't look right, so let it lie for now. ...but as winter approaches and days I don't want to be out and about occur more frequently, one never knows. I'll be sure to post if I figure it out, and hopefully you'll do the same.
Old 09-14-12, 10:51 AM
sarhento
Driver

sarhento, I am saying that the popup cover that reveals the cup holders on the rear armrest/console is not wood but a plastic material similar to other hard surface areas. I do not have the vehicle here now to check but I think it has a slight pebble finish to it. It is the same color of all of the other plastic in my vehicle, which is parchment. If you look at the picture on the first page of this thread, just substitute plastic instead of wood and you will see what I have in mine.
Hi Tx. What I have is exactly like the one in the picture, with very smooth finish. So that's wood is it not?
Old 09-14-12, 12:26 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

As the 450h is considered to be a model step up in trim and equipment, Lexus may now consider the wood on the center armrest to be part of the differential that would also include the chrome trim around the fog-lights, different grill, and the aluminum trim panel as you open the tail gate.
I assume you are referring to this picture from the first page of this thread:

That is the wood grain cap that covered the cup holders of the rear seat center armrest/console on the 2010-2012 models. Beginning with 2013 in the US you no longer get a wood grained cover on the cup holders but instead it is just a piece of plastic and the same color as the surrounding trim. The only wood grain in the back seat area of the US 2013 RX350 is the small strip on each rear seat door. The wood on the cup holder lid is not an option in any package, luxury or premium. It appears that you do still get the wood grain cover on the 2013 RX 450h. So far I have found no way to order the cup holder cover only. You may be able to order the entire console/armrest from a 450h and change it out but I am sure that is too expensive. I have also had no success finding an aftermarket source for a wood panel to simply attach to the top, which is essentially what Lexus is doing anyway. As I mentioned previously, even the aftermarket wood dash kits for a 2013 RX 350 do not include a piece for this area. I suspect they have not updated their templetes since prior year's included this part.
Old 09-14-12, 12:48 PM
Supersnoop
Driver School Candidate

That is the wood grain cap that covered the cup holders of the rear seat center armrest/console on the 2010-2012 models. Beginning with 2013 in the US you no longer get a wood grained cover on the cup holders but instead it is just a piece of plastic and the same color as the surrounding trim. The only wood grain in the back seat area of the US 2013 RX350 is the small strip on each rear seat door. The wood on the cup holder lid is not an option in any package, luxury or premium. It appears that you do still get the wood grain cover on the 2013 RX 450h. So far I have found no way to order the cup holder cover only. You may be able to order the entire console/armrest from a 450h and change it out but I am sure that is too expensive. I have also had no success finding an aftermarket source for a wood panel to simply attach to the top, which is essentially what Lexus is doing anyway. As I mentioned previously, even the aftermarket wood dash kits for a 2013 RX 350 do not include a piece for this area. I suspect they have not updated their templetes since prior year's included this part.
I have to disagree. I have a 2013 RX 450h and it does NOT have the wood on the rear center armrest. I have the premium package, but not the luxury package, so that might make a difference.

I test drove some 2010's before buying the 2013 and didn't notice the missing wood until a few days later. Has anyone with a 2013 reported having the wood?
Old 09-14-12, 01:06 PM
sarhento
Driver

I assume you are referring to this picture from the first page of this thread:

That is the wood grain cap that covered the cup holders of the rear seat center armrest/console on the 2010-2012 models. Beginning with 2013 in the US you no longer get a wood grained cover on the cup holders ...
Ah..I am in Canada and my RX350 has the wood grain cap..so I guess the
Canadian model still has it. I have the Ultra Premium Package I. I believe descriptions of packages in the US are different.
Old 09-14-12, 01:10 PM
BertL

Originally Posted by Supersnoop
Has anyone with a 2013 reported having the wood?
I've tried to confirm the point in my post #6 and #24 in this thread, and despite some disappointed RX350 owners, Jim recently suggested based on what we've learned here that perhaps Lexus is using this on the 2013's as just one more thing differenting the 350 and RXh as well as selected packages in the US. While the RX350 may not have a way to get the wood trim on the rear console any more here in the US, it is still available in the highest level of interior package on an RXh. My 2013 RX450h with the luxury package has the wood in question.
Old 09-14-12, 01:47 PM
Supersnoop
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BertL
I've tried to confirm the point in my post #6 and #24 in this thread, and despite some disappointed RX350 owners, Jim recently suggested based on what we've learned here that perhaps Lexus is using this on the 2013's as just one more thing differenting the 350 and RXh as well as selected packages in the US. While the RX350 may not have a way to get the wood trim on the rear console any more here in the US, it is still available in the highest level of interior package on an RXh. My 2013 RX450h with the luxury package has the wood in question.
I think you've nailed it there - it's part of the Luxury package, even on the RX 450h.

Quick Reply: Wood Gone