RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Sunglasses causing problems viewing nav screen

Old 01-13-15, 01:32 PM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wear cheap polarized sunglasses that kind of clip onto my glasses. Never had a problem seeing the nav screen, thankfully.
Old 01-20-15, 08:08 PM
GNGarcia
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Update on RX Navigation Screen Cloud

Today I took my 2015 RX450h for its 5K service. I had previously alerted the dealer AND Lexus about the appearance of a dark shadow/cloud in the navigation screen when I wore my sunglasses. Also, I advised Lexus that I was going to "test" other units on the dealer's lot to see if the problem was an isolated problem or a general one.

Here are the results: On the 2015 RX450h and the 2015 RX350 the cloud is quite evident when I had my sunglasses on. Thus, it's not just my RX!

I also sat in a 2015 ES350. That navigation screen was perfect. Thus, its the RX screens that are responsible for the dark cloud.

I will add that the sales person at the dealer corroborated my experience.

Next stop: Another talk with Lexus about a fix or something.
Old 01-20-15, 11:37 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GNGarcia
Next stop: Another talk with Lexus about a fix or something.
Good luck. Let us know what they decide. Not sure how they could "fix" this.
Old 01-21-15, 07:52 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Everything that can be said re: polarized sunglasses has been said

Everything that can be said has been said. Essentially polarized sunglasses can and likely will cause various unwanted effects when viewing liquid crystal display screens. Plus the effects vary depending on angle and placement. The only fix is to wear non-polar screen sunglasses or just be lucky with angles and such.

Explanations have started turning the corner into a debate of science and fact that doesn't help anyone here on the RX forums. You can't fix what isn't broke and it's not broke. It's polarized

This thread goes back to 2011. Does anyone have something new or are we just that bored ???
Old 01-21-15, 11:20 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

[QUOTE=Cruiter;8877866...

This thread goes back to 2011. Does anyone have something new or are we just that bored ???[/QUOTE]

At this point just curious to see what GNGarcia's Lexus dealer does to "fix" the problem.
Old 01-22-15, 03:14 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

litzdog911, there's nothing to fix. Either wear non-polarized sunglasses or remove them per the warnings jfelbab posted above from the manual.
Old 01-22-15, 02:42 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kitlz
litzdog911, there's nothing to fix. Either wear non-polarized sunglasses or remove them per the warnings jfelbab posted above from the manual.
Agree 100%. That's why I'm curious to see what that dealer does. Seems like they can't do much more than provide some education.
Old 01-26-15, 06:52 AM
GNGarcia
Driver School Candidate

Default 2015 RX450h Navigation screen cloud update

There are two developments since my last posting. To reiterate, the RX screen is problematic while the ES screen is fine. Lexus offers NO solution. My optometrist indicated that the solution---to pivot the lenses vertically so that they are in sync with the vertical orientation of the navigation screen can be done ONLY on single vision lenses and not my progressive vision lenses!

Further, my optometrist's research via a professional data base for optometrists reveals that several years ago, car manufacturers switched suppliers. Thus, my suspicion is that LEXUS is installing navigation screens on the RX that are different from those being installed in at least the ES.

Lexus did agree to reimburse me for the amount of money that my optometrist will charge beyond my insurance coverage to have my sunglasses retooled.

The "retooling" means that my new lenses will NOT be polarized. I have been assured that there will be no significant difference in vision other than the fact that polarized lenses eliminate glare and harsh light effects on the eyes. I am waiting for the new lenses to arrive.
Old 01-26-15, 07:27 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Good news. Seems Lexus is going above and beyond to help with your concern, and this hopefully brings your problem to a close.

FWIW, my prescription progressive non-polarized glasses work fine in my RX with both Nav and HUD (as well as in my MBZ and former BMW -- both with Nav). Polarized glasses have the challenges for me as previously discussed, as well as my not being able to see some ATM screens at certain times of day unless I look like a crazy person and squat down or stand on my toes to see what it's displaying -- which as your optometrist confirmed, changes the vertical orientation. I've been very happy with my grey-tinted sunglasses while driving and about town for the last few years in all sort of terrain, including hours in the bright sunny desert, but still prefer my polarized sunglasses if I'm headed to the beach or sitting around a pool in the summer. IMHO, they do a superior job removing glare when water is involved -- e.g. when I used to do stream/lake fishing, polarized were best to be able to see onto and literally into the water closer up. Beyond those water-specific situations, non-polarized progressives work just great for me as I hope they do for you. My polarized sunglasses are now "one prescription back", so I likely won't replace them when the time comes.
Old 01-26-15, 11:16 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by GNGarcia
There are two developments since my last posting. To reiterate, the RX screen is problematic while the ES screen is fine. Lexus offers NO solution. My optometrist indicated that the solution---to pivot the lenses vertically so that they are in sync with the vertical orientation of the navigation screen can be done ONLY on single vision lenses and not my progressive vision lenses!

Further, my optometrist's research via a professional data base for optometrists reveals that several years ago, car manufacturers switched suppliers. Thus, my suspicion is that LEXUS is installing navigation screens on the RX that are different from those being installed in at least the ES.

Lexus did agree to reimburse me for the amount of money that my optometrist will charge beyond my insurance coverage to have my sunglasses retooled.

The "retooling" means that my new lenses will NOT be polarized. I have been assured that there will be no significant difference in vision other than the fact that polarized lenses eliminate glare and harsh light effects on the eyes. I am waiting for the new lenses to arrive.
In case you missed my previous post... "I wear Transitions Vantage lenses which have variable polarization that adjusts to match outdoor glare levels. They don't have any effect on my NAV screen while in the car." These are progressive lenses and the NAV screen is perfectly clear. You may wish to investigate these lenses.
Old 01-28-15, 01:09 PM
klwagoner
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wasn't looking for this, and maybe it's already been said:

"In addition, polarized lenses may reduce the visibility of images produced by liquid crystal displays (LCDs) or light-emitting diode displays (LEDs) found on the dashboards of some cars or in other places such as the digital screens on automatic teller machines and self-service gas pumps.

With polarized lenses, you also may be unable to see your cell phone or GPS device.

Boaters and pilots also have reported similar problems when viewing LCD displays on instrument panels, which can be a crucial issue when it comes to making split-second decisions based strictly on information displayed on a panel. (Some manufacturers of these devices have changed their products to solve the problem, but many have not yet done so.)"

Last edited by Cruiter; 01-28-15 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-28-15, 06:55 PM
novaman
Driver School Candidate

I wear polarized sun glasses and wouldn't wear anything else. That being said I have Nav and Hud and see a little shadow, but not enough to really bother me.

novaman