RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Sunglasses causing problems viewing nav screen

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-12, 04:13 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Glad you're with us. You'll get over the polarization issue real fast. Like I said in a previous post, they made the screen anti-glare to keep reflections down and that just doesn't work well with polarization. Those lens's also make the waffle spots appear in the back glass that I don't like. I'm staying with my old and expensive glass Serengenti's. Heavy but feel great on the eyes .
Originally Posted by MikeP
I am the OP and I initially wrote off the 2013 RX because of the dark area on the nav screen with polarized sunglasses. It was a big disappointment to me because I really wanted the 450h. I test drove the GS350 and thought the driving was great, but the car is just a little cramped, especially for the front passenger. I was trying to force the GS to fit (not too much of a force).

I finally decided to pull out an older, cheaper pair of sunglasses and try the RX again. Problem solved. Cheap sunglasses, expensive hybrid. Can you think of a better combination? The Maui Jims are for walking and the Walmarts are for driving. I now have an RX450h in my garage with a cheap pair of sunglasses in the glove box. Can you think of a better reason Lexus omitted the overhead sunglass holder?
Old 07-01-12, 04:22 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

MikeP, I'm glad there was a happy ending. I wear polarized glasses myself and haven't experienced the same issue with the nav screen on my '10. Wear those Wallymart sunglasses proudly behind the wheel of your 450h. And be sure to post some pics. Congrats.
Old 07-01-12, 05:03 PM
MikeP
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks to all for the warm welcome. I have been wanting an RX since the '10's came out, but after testing several '10s for extended test drives, I couldn't find one without severe rattles. Recently I started looking for an RX 450h and found the ones I drove to be much quieter and mostly rattle-free. After solving my sunglasses problem, I finally made the move. I can't really give a comprehensive evaluation yet after only 24 hours, but it's been fun going through all the menus and customizing some settings. Love the obsidian and happy the 2WD does not have roof rails, at least in this region. Since I am vertically challenged, I can get by with only a six foot ladder to wash the roof.
Old 07-01-12, 05:32 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^ oh, ho, ho. I'm still chuckling over that comment about the 6' ladder. My former Walmart special fold-up step stool I've used for years had to be replaced with a several inch taller step stool for washing, and I think about it every time I have to strain to get up another 6" on my new step stool about my lack of height and what will happen when I'm really old trying to wash these things. If I cared more about my macho-ways, I should probably just think about the wonders of my new RX450h that is 2" higher and wider than my 2006 400h and just get on with life.
Old 07-06-12, 09:08 PM
Quatro40
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Get Serengueti Driver's sunglasses.
Old 01-12-15, 05:29 PM
GNGarcia
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Navigation Screen clouds

For the first time in our Lexus ownership, we're having problems w/the 2015 RX450h screen. when wearing sunglasses of any type, a dark cloud appears on the screen. W/o them, no problem. Lexus states that they are NOT aware of any such problem. Anybody else out there who has? Please advise ASAP.
Old 01-12-15, 05:39 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

Polarized sunglasses unfortunately cause this. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...av-screen.html

This is common with all car brands as well.
Old 01-12-15, 07:04 PM
litzdog911
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Non-polarizing sunglasses won't have this problem. It's the polarizing filter in most sunglasses that causes this issue. Try rotating your head a bit and you'll see how the dark area moves around.
Old 01-12-15, 07:10 PM
GNGarcia
Driver School Candidate

Question Cloud on Navigation screen

Thanks for the comments. The fact remains that our 2013 GS450h and previous RX's did not have this problem. Anybody aware if Lexus changed the screens?
Old 01-12-15, 07:21 PM
GNGarcia
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Screen and Clouds

Revealing comments by many of you regarding this annoying issue.I wish I had read them before we bought the RX450h.

My conversation today with Ms. Alfonso at Lexus was not reassuring. She stated that Lexus had NO fix for this problem.

More importantly, she stated that NOBODY had reported this issue before I did!
Old 01-12-15, 10:46 PM
kjang
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember this with another brand (garmin gps for boats). You can complain and see if the dealership can give you another one??? Could be the factory rotated the glass the wrong way? How long have you had these polarized sunglasses? Try another pair of polarized sunglasses.
Old 01-13-15, 04:57 AM
Cruiter

Default All in the angle

Gil
Your previous ones may not have shown the polarized effect due to the angle of view. It is a common occurrence with polarized sunglasses; nothing is wrong with the car. If you can see it clear w/o your sunglasses that's proof. If you were to move your head or sunglasses around you'd be able to see changes while doing that. It's like wearing them and looking at the review mirror and seeing dark splotches on the back glass. Same effect.
Originally Posted by GNGarcia
Thanks for the comments. The fact remains that our 2013 GS450h and previous RX's did not have this problem. Anybody aware if Lexus changed the screens?
Old 01-13-15, 05:44 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, I completely agree this has to do with polarized sunglasses and the specific angle the display is viewed at. It's not a RX defect.

I would say though, I anticipated when researching the technology, and before I purchased my RX450h, that I may have problems with viewing my HUD. After I took delivery and getting my seat where I wanted it, I could see my Nav perfectly with my prescription polarized sunglasses, but depending on the vertical position I place the HUD display "in my windshield", it becomes very dim and almost unreadable depending if I'm headed into the sun at certain times of day -- sort of proving the point it has to do with the viewing angle. What I did was buy a separate pair of grey-tinted non-polarized sunglasses I keep for use in my RX, and I reserve my polarized sunglasses for my other car and when I'm near water where they make the most noticeable difference.
Old 01-13-15, 06:26 AM
Cruiter

Same thing happens with the HUD in my C7 Stingray. I switched my Serengeti's to that car. Not polarized
Originally Posted by BertL

I would say though, I anticipated when researching the technology, and before I purchased my RX450h, that I may have problems with viewing my HUD. After I took delivery and getting my seat where I wanted it, I could see my Nav perfectly with my prescription polarized sunglasses, but depending on the vertical position I place the HUD display "in my windshield", it becomes very dim and almost unreadable depending if I'm headed into the sun at certain times of day -- sort of proving the point it has to do with the viewing angle.
Old 01-13-15, 08:07 AM
jfelbab

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I found warnings about polarized sunglasses as far back as 2007.

2007 Section 1 Basic Operation - Basic Information Before Operation page 3:
When you look at the screen through polarized material such as polarized sunglasses, the screen may be dark and hard to see. If so, change the angle of the screen or take off your sunglasses.
2014/2015 Navigation Quick Guide Chapter 1 page 13:
When the screen is viewed through polarized sunglasses, a rainbow pattern may appear on the screen due to optical characteristics of the screen. If this is disturbing, please operate the screen without polarized sunglasses.
FWIW, I wear Transitions Vantage lenses which have variable polarization that adjusts to match outdoor glare levels. They don't have any effect on my NAV screen while in the car.

Quick Reply: Sunglasses causing problems viewing nav screen