Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

dealer chrome/stainless licence plate frames

Old 06-27-12, 06:20 AM   #1
kwbuggy
Driver
Trader Score: (0)

Question dealer chrome/stainless licence plate frames

I have been looking at the car photos fellow 3rd gen. RX owners post and notice that a lot of US dealers put nice looking chrome/stainless? plate frames on the cars they sell. I haven't seen any Canadian Lexi with similar frames. I'm just wondering if this is a common practice at US Lexus dealers or have I just happened to notice the exception to the rule.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Old 06-27-12, 07:30 AM   #2
dctex99
Lead Lap

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwbuggy View Post
I have been looking at the car photos fellow 3rd gen. RX owners post and notice that a lot of US dealers put nice looking chrome/stainless? plate frames on the cars they sell. I haven't seen any Canadian Lexi with similar frames. I'm just wondering if this is a common practice at US Lexus dealers or have I just happened to notice the exception to the rule.
It seems to vary by state; some still put the ugly little stick on "Gem City Motors" on vehicles, but most states have gone away from that and use just License plate frames for advertising!! Most have gone back to metal ones from the cheap plastic ones that faded in the 90's....
Previous::: 98 Lincoln Town Car
01 Grand Prix GT
96 Grand Am GT
85 30th Anniv Thunderbird
83 Thunderbird
dctex99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 08:24 AM   #3
GoHuskers
Lexus Test Driver

My dealer used to have Metal/heavy chrome plate frames but now they use plastic chrome to save $.10 I guess.
2007 IS250 AWD Matador Red Mica, HID, Navi - Sold
2011 Camry SE - Sold
2002 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD - The BEST vehicle I have ever owned.
GoHuskers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 09:25 AM   #4
kitlz
Live. Love. Lexus.

They are plastic with the dealer name on them. Want mine

2010 RX450h - Sport/NAV/ML
2004 RX330 - gone
1999 RX300 - gone
kitlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 02:26 PM   #5
UCSB
Lead Lap

My dealer put on really nice metal / chrome license plate frame with only "Pleasanton" and the Lexus logo. Since Pleasanton is the name of the town where I live and the dealership, it was a nice combo for me. I still upgraded to a stainless steel thin line frame. But, I do give the dealership credit for doing a quality job. I should point out that I just got a plastic frame on the Subaru that I purchased ... but, put the same frame on it that I put on my RX. Nice frames are pretty inexpensive, just buy something that you really like.

Last edited by UCSB; 06-27-12 at 02:32 PM..
UCSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 02:38 PM   #6
BertL
Lexus Test Driver

In my case, i received a decent metal frame from my dealer with "Lexus of Escondido" on it. I removed it within 30 minutes of arriving home as I do with every new car, and put on my own heavier duty version without advertising.
BertL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 03:41 PM   #7
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

my Lexus of Valencia metal frame came of 10 minutes after i drove off the lot.
i stopped at the nearest auto zone and purchased a combination of metal frame and plastic/transparent cover ( goes over the plate).
i have done this to all our cars/SUVs. I have managed to preserve every plates even though they're 15 yrs old.
markrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 04:20 PM   #8
svofan1
Pole Position

....here in Nj most are the cheap plastic advertising the dealer, but one must be careful, because if you get stopped in NJ for another infraction you could get another ticket for plate obstruction (most license frames cut the name of the state at the bottom in half), my friend the day he got his new Mercedes license plate the dealer installed the plastic frame, well 2 hours later he got stopped for doing 40 in a 25 and..wham!!!!...got the second ticket.....the police officer did not give him a break.....live and learn..when I picked my RX at the same dealer the first thing I said was "I do not want the license frame"....if I want one so badly I will buy the correct one which must be extremely thing frame as to not intrude with the plate itself....
svofan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 06:31 PM   #9
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

I changed the one that had "Lexus of Mobile" on it with the one that I got when I ordered my 2005 RX330 out of New Orleans "Lexus New Orleans"
LED Headlamps,Mark Levinson,Heads-up Display, Rear-Seat Entertainment System & Navigation System Package ,Luxury Package, Intuitive Parking Assist ,Paint Protection Film,Remote Engine Start,Comfort Package ,Tow Prep Pkg, Side Body Molding,Mudguards,Door edge guards
billy44bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 10:57 PM   #10
Sevn86
Lexus Test Driver

Naazim Maredia Sevn86

I have three frames to choose from, right now I have a flat black frame with a simple Lexus logo on the bottom. I love it!
Has Premium, Comfort, and Nav packages, Factory Chrome 19" Sport Wheels, Tow Prep Package, Intuitive Park Assist, WeatherTech Digital Floor Liners, Llumar Window Tint 30% Front/ Limo Rear, V-LED Conversion Complete For Interior & Exterior Lights, HID Fog Lights, Custom License Plate, SES Chrome Door Handle Covers
Future Mods Complete
Build Thread
Sevn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-12, 07:00 PM   #11
TexasRxh
Driver

It's chrome-looking plastic on my 2013 Rx. I believe these dealer frames are actually illegal in TX. The state enacted a low a few years ago that ANY coverage of the plate can get you a ticket. There are very few that are "legal" in that sense. I've also not heard of anyone actually getting ticketed for having a plate frame. Go figure.
TexasRxh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-12, 07:00 PM

Tags
450, chrome, clublexus, dealer, dealers, frame, frames, holder, lexus, license, metal, plate, plates, rx, tag