RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Aftermarket Navigation Update

Old 06-24-12, 06:53 PM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aftermarket Navigation Update

Okay please nobody flame me for not doing a search on this first. I actually did do a search but I am wondering if there is any new information on the feasibility of aftermarket navigation as those posts are a year or more old.

I have the 2010 RX 350 and I love it but I am kinda wishing I had gotten one with navigation and backup camera. Now I heard there is a Kenwood device that has both navigation and camera and I'm wondering if this is a feasible solution. Also I had heard that there was movement towards a device being developed by Lexus to put in aftermarket and I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything about that?

Alternatively I suppose I could respond to the postcard sent by my Lexus dealership begging me to sell back my 2010 RX to them because their supplies are deleted and then buy one with these options but that seems a bit pricey.
Old 06-24-12, 07:27 PM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Navigation

As far as I know there is no aftermarket stereo kit for the 3rd generation RX.

If there is one that becomes available. It will not be made by Lexus.

The problem you have is cost. How much are you going to lose? Trading in your 2010 and buying one with Nav.

To be honest how much do you plan on using a back up camera?

On the Navigation. Read some posts here and you will hear about guys regretting paying 5000 dollars for the built in Nav.

When you can get 3D screens and free updates with a 300 dollar handheld Garmin

Last edited by MC5Wes; 06-25-12 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-24-12, 11:50 PM
Jonrx350
Driver School Candidate

Dunno if there's one for 3rd gen. But if you find one, make sure it comes with a mouse. How you gonna reach the screen?
Old 06-25-12, 03:06 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BatmobileX
Alternatively I suppose I could respond to the postcard sent by my Lexus dealership begging me to sell back my 2010 RX to them because their supplies are deleted and then buy one with these options but that seems a bit pricey.
I received a letter from my dealer also. But, I also received a similar letter from my Audi dealer and from the dealer that I bought 2 Saabs from many years ago. It could always be genuine but the sceptic in me says it is just a marketing ploy.
Old 06-25-12, 06:24 AM
jclem
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a HUGE demand for good, used cars and '10RX's are very popular. That's one of the reasons people are getting such great deals on the '12's (easily 10-15% off msrp). However, one thing to keep in mind is that the factory Nav is disabled when the car is in motion. (Toyota is one of many mfrs who do this). This leaves you with 3 options: voice commands, Enform destination assist, or the fantastic but expensive($300) Prestigious Society overrride 'black box'.
I love my factory Nav and the way everything is integrated, but the disabling is a bummer. (That's why I installed the PS box). There are several threads about this. Check them out.

BTW, regarding the backup camera, and "how much to you really use it?" If you have little kids or grandkids running around, you will understand how important this feature is!!! I did hear that there is a move to make these a requirement on all vehicles by some date in the future, I don't remember. I do remember, however, being shocked by the number of kids who are injured by cars backing up and the driver is usually a relative!
Old 06-25-12, 06:34 AM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

I don't get what you mean by factory nav is disabled when the car is in motion? Meaning you can't access certain functions unless at a light?
Old 06-25-12, 08:32 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't get what you mean by factory nav is disabled when the car is in motion? Meaning you can't access certain functions unless at a light?
The manual input functions (via mouse) are grayed out when the vehicle is in motion. You can still input a destination (while moving) via several other means as mentioned in the previous post.

This was true in my Rx400h and my 2007 Chevy Suburban, although GM did relent and reactivate some of the functionality in a firmware update around 2009 or so.

Last edited by TexasRxh; 06-25-12 at 08:34 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-25-12, 11:39 AM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Back up camera

Originally Posted by jclem
There is a HUGE demand for good, used cars and '10RX's are very popular. That's one of the reasons people are getting such great deals on the '12's (easily 10-15% off msrp). However, one thing to keep in mind is that the factory Nav is disabled when the car is in motion. (Toyota is one of many mfrs who do this). This leaves you with 3 options: voice commands, Enform destination assist, or the fantastic but expensive($300) Prestigious Society overrride 'black box'.
I love my factory Nav and the way everything is integrated, but the disabling is a bummer. (That's why I installed the PS box). There are several threads about this. Check them out.

BTW, regarding the backup camera, and "how much to you really use it?" If you have little kids or grandkids running around, you will understand how important this feature is!!! I did hear that there is a move to make these a requirement on all vehicles by some date in the future, I don't remember. I do remember, however, being shocked by the number of kids who are injured by cars backing up and the driver is usually a relative!
I think that instead of adding backing up cameras to all cars. We should just make all cars illegal.

Think of all the hundreds of thousands of lives we could save. No more accidents, Drunk driving, kids being run over.

Another benefit would be helping the enviroment.

I should get the Nobel peace prize.
Old 06-25-12, 02:28 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

^ imagine all the insects that we'll be saving from coming in contact with the windshield.

On a serious note, Lexus and Toyota have made their cars safer by limiting what your hands can do on your Nav whenever in motion. You can still access it though, using voice command. It's a pain in the neck but it won' t take your eyes off the road.
Once you get used to it. You'll wonder why not all car makers are implementing this precaution
Old 06-26-12, 02:13 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jclem
.... However, one thing to keep in mind is that the factory Nav is disabled when the car is in motion. (Toyota is one of many mfrs who do this). This leaves you with 3 options: voice commands, Enform destination assist, or the fantastic but expensive($300) Prestigious Society overrride 'black box'.
You have forgotten the fourth and best option: safely pull off the road, enter your destination and then continue your trip.
Old 06-26-12, 02:20 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Previous destinations can be accessed when driving. A destination can be entered while stationery and then cancelled so it'll be on top of the list. While it might not be ideal, I've used it a few times.
Old 06-26-12, 05:36 PM
BatmobileX
Pit Crew

I'm looking at the Tom Tom Via 1605TM, $179.99 at Costco. It has a bottom mount and I'm wondering if it will fit atop the dash. It has a 6 inch screen. I want to avoid the suction cups.
Old 06-26-12, 05:44 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm looking at the Tom Tom Via 1605TM, $179.99 at Costco. It has a bottom mount and I'm wondering if it will fit atop the dash. It has a 6 inch screen. I want to avoid the suction cups.
Garmin has a bean bag type mount that sits on the dash, doesn't slide around and is easiily removed. Maybe Tom Tom has something similar.
Old 06-27-12, 07:25 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I thought of this post yesterday when my Crutchfield mag came and these were featured just inside. Could be an option for those that want an integrated Nav/radio/multi-feature system and got a car without one. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500INEZ....html?tp=20212
Okay please nobody flame me for not doing a search on this first. I actually did do a search but I am wondering if there is any new information on the feasibility of aftermarket navigation as those posts are a year or more old.

I have the 2010 RX 350 and I love it but I am kinda wishing I had gotten one with navigation and backup camera. Now I heard there is a Kenwood device that has both navigation and camera and I'm wondering if this is a feasible solution. Also I had heard that there was movement towards a device being developed by Lexus to put in aftermarket and I'm wondering if anyone has heard anything about that?

Old 06-28-12, 02:53 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I thought of that too when I got my Crutchfield catalog (It is interesting how their product line has evolved over the years). However, when I input my 2010 Lexus 450h into the selection tool it came back saying that it had no products compatible with this vehicle. I did not try other years, or Lexus models.

Several years ago I purchased an Onkyo receiver from them for one of my TV surround sound systems. I was quite pleased with their pricing and customer focus. (Just putting in a plug from a happy customer.) We are in the process of building a new house and will be buying more goodies there.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket Navigation Update