Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > Lexus Model Forums > RX Models > RX - Third Generation
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

kayak carrying

Old 06-23-12, 02:36 PM   #1
ziggy1
Pole Position
Trader Score: (0)

Default kayak carrying

Has anyone tried carrying a kayak on a third generation RX? I just purchased the cross bars for the roof rack in order to do so, but I'm a little concerned about tie down front secure points, scratching the car, the rear wing, etc.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
ziggy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-12, 03:12 PM   #2
paiceman
Driver School Candidate

We carried two from Pittsburgh PA to Lake Placid last summer on top of our 2011 450h with the cross overs. Did not really need the cross overs as the Thule set up did not utilize them and I connected the clamps to the racks themselves. Tie down was to the racks, no issue and no problem. I did invest ($10.00) in a pair of straps that attach to bolts under the hood on each side of the enginve compartment to tie off the bows of the two boats. Works great and no damage to the car that way from ropes of cloth etc. (Orchard Oak Kayak in Rochester New York sells them on line)

Kayaks were unloaded and loaded each day at least once some days twice as we only did day trips. No marks on the car at all and it's the real dark charcoal color. Mileage for the trip was about 29mpg with the boats, pretty good in my estimation.

Good luck
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-12, 09:02 AM   #3
ziggy1
Pole Position

Default Thanks for the response

Thanks and I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. Having computer issues and just when they get resolved, get internet issues due to storms etc.

I thought about getting a comlete Thule system rather than the Lexus cross bars, but ;picked up the lexus using points (i.e., no cash) accumulated on my lexus credit card.
Maybe a mistake, but it's done now.

Going to look into the tip about the front tie downs. Thanks for the info.
ziggy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-14, 02:40 PM   #4
kayakdude
Driver School Candidate

I have the factory cross bars and was going to mount the Thule saddles to them, but Thule and Yakima for that matter requires at least 24" separation between the bars. The bars are only 19.5" apart because of 3" rubber stops on each end of the rails. Lexus says that is to insure load stability. Did you have any issues with this?
kayakdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-14, 07:21 AM   #5
paiceman
Driver School Candidate

kayakdude

We carried two Kayaks on the factory bars using Thule Saddles attached to the bars. I strapped down across the kayaks from side to side, individually as well as individually bow lines and stern lines. I bought two straps for the bow tie downs that actually attach to bolts under the hood on the fender support and in that way don't damage the paint as the bow lines do not touch the car. Works great, no issues at all. The bow tie downs were purchased at Oak Orchard near Rochester NY - they do mail order http://www.oakorchardcanoe.com/.

Good luck and enjoy

Bud
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-14, 11:41 AM   #6
Clutchless
Pole Position

I found a used kayak trailer (converted from a jet ski trailer) for less than the cross bars cost! Much easier to load!
Clutchless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 05:30 AM   #7
sprocket
Driver

Sorry to hijack your thread, but do any of you guys use the "stacker style" posts instead of the J-cradles?
Old 04-22-14, 05:30 AM