RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Will RX350 F-Sport come with a tow package

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-12, 02:13 PM
rx350f
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will RX350 F-Sport come with a tow package

I work for Toyota but not involved with production vehicles and I am ready to order an RX350 F-Sport, but not being able to tow could be a deal breaker. Yes I have read that spec sheet released by toyota that says it can tow up to 3500 lbs, but that does not mean it will be factory spec'd with the tow package and that spec sheet is probably incorrect. From the internal Toyota ordering system, a tow prep package is not available and neither is the hitch option in the port installed options. It may be that they are still working on the catalogue and it may come later as even pricing is not shown yet. If there is anyone from Toyota that is on this forum, can you please indicate whether the tow option will be available for the F-Sport. If not, I may have to go with the RX450h. I cant find anyting on the web other than the tow capacity which I believe to be incorrect as if a tow prep package is not offered then the tow capacity will only be 1500 lbs
Old 06-14-12, 04:38 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not sure why you would not be able to order a hitch from the factory. If you cant I would get a curt one and install it. The rest of the car is the same as the normal rx350/450.
Old 06-14-12, 04:52 PM
rx350f
Driver School Candidate

My suspicion is that Toyota will not offer the tow prep package TO or the port installed package DH Tow hitch with ball mount because they do not want F-sport RX350's to tow because of the 8 speed transmission and the VDIM suspension package. This is pure speculation as I have no inside info on Toyota Production vehicles. Look at the Lexus USA website and note the comments in the tow capacity row. It specifically calls out the 3500 lbs rating when ordered with the OPTIONAL tow prep package for the std RX350 and the RX450h (otherwise 1500 lbs) but simply states 3500 lbs in the F Sport row. Agree with you on the Curt option. If there is a Lexus dealer on here, please let us know if you can order either the TO or DH options for the F-Sport
Old 06-14-12, 05:37 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the VDIM in my 450 H and they put in the tow package. They also include the reciever with a 2"ball on it. Try and order it if its the vehicle you want and then put on a hitch if they wont.
Old 06-15-12, 08:18 PM
RGSW
Intermediate

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts
Default Tow Package on RX F Sport

Transmission cooler
Heavy-duty alternator
Heavy-duty radiator
All the above shown as standard on the "F" in the "Features and Pricing" section, that equates to the towing package in my book?
Old 06-16-12, 04:47 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RGSW
Transmission cooler
Heavy-duty alternator
Heavy-duty radiator
All the above shown as standard on the "F" in the "Features and Pricing" section, that equates to the towing package in my book?
Right, only thing that would need to be added is the hitch itself.
Old 06-19-12, 04:45 PM
rx350f
Driver School Candidate

Bad news received just now. I came to the same conclusion that the RX350 F sport had the same "tow package upgrades" already included and was somewhat optimistic that Lexus just have not added the tow hitch on the port installed option list. I just got confirmation from Lexus that the issue is that the RX F-Sport has a Performance damper in the same location where the tow hitch is located, therefore it is impossible to fit a tow hitch. This really sucks! They should really remove that 3500 lbs towing capacity from the USA Lexus website. This may be a deal breaker
Old 04-16-13, 10:25 AM
LEXPART1
Driver School Candidate

Default Rx350 f sport hitch

PER THE INSTALLATION GUIDE BY LEXUS:

For F-Sport Vehicles only
Before removing the the tow hooks, it is
necessary to remove the tower damper.

Remove the 14mm nuts (4 places)
connecting the LH/RH tow hooks to the
tower damper. Lift it up and over the tow
hooks and discard. Then remove the tow
hooks from the vehicle frame as detailed in
Step 2n. (Fig. 2-8)

NOTE: Discard the tower damper safely and
appropriately according to local laws and
regulations as it includes a gas strut

We just installed our third one.
Old 04-16-13, 06:52 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, this was a deal breaker for me as well...
You got the same story I did...the rear dampener is in the path of where the Lexus hitch resides, so its one or the other.

Two issues...

removing the rear dampener will prob. have very little effect on handling... I ordered non F Sport, and installed the F dampener in the front, but not the rear, it does a great job. But I do have FWD, not AWD. AWD has a few more lbs in the rear. ONce you remove the rear dampener, you have dealer install factory hitch...

other 3rd party hitches might not be as problematic, as it might not cross the path of the dampener. But, you would have to have the car up on a rack to review this, with the 3rd party hitch on hand...

I am very happy with the RX350 with F appearance package...so exteriors are identical, other than horiz top grille on F Appearance (both have lower honeycomb) and badging, which, you can buy for $50. I think the top horiz grill looks equally as good...

Interior, you gain the option of NON BLACK interior colors (if that interest you) I was not a big fan of all black, specially the RX's, its not the quality of Rover Sport interior. And, with the non F, u can get the crown jewel of options, Radar Cruise. The loss of 8 speed trannie, a non issue for me...drove both, the 6 speed appeared more refined, snappier off the line... metal pedals, you can change - out. 0-60 times the same, same brakes, same tires / wheels. IMO, the F Sport rides a bit to rough for a car like this, many reviews say the same thing...adding front dampener to the non F, will reduce the body roll about 70 - 80% and still give you a relative plush Lexus ride, but with 19" wheels, not quite Lexus plush. A nice mix IMO.

So, that is some food for thought ... hope it helps...