RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Disappointed with Lexus GPS system

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-13, 03:33 PM
NotHereMan
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
an iPad nearly fits, I'm guessing a mini would..!

(just to complain about voice command....say Destination, it asks Near Here or Along Route. Most of the time I don't have a route plugged in and I usually want to go somewhere AWAY from here.)
Seriously, you can set up either an iPad mini or an Android Nexus 7 in a tablet mount and run the Waze app on it. Excellent internet-connected nav (including "social" if you can stand it ), live traffic, maps always up-to-date, the works!

If your tablet has 3G/4G data built-in, that's all you have to do. Otherwise you can set up your smartphone to be a Wifi hotspot, to feed the tablet.

Yes, I did this and suddenly I stopped being annoyed at the klunky Lexus software. I just use it for Bluetooth music playback now (even that is klunky, but tolerable).
Old 12-09-13, 06:06 AM
coachlkg
Rookie

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Submit those changes to Lexus and some day, maybe some day they will be added.....

http://www.lexusnavigation.com/submit-feedback/
And in the meantime Lexus will charge you $169 to upgrade to old information.
Old 12-09-13, 06:11 AM
coachlkg
Rookie

Originally Posted by BertL
Absolutely agree with you. As I put it in a recent Lexus survey, if Lexus would just apply a few programmers to things like Nav and Infotainment to improve the look, functionality and usability, the total experience of the overall vehicle could be greatly increased. It does not take that much "engineering" to improve those things and it can mostly be done behind a desk without what it takes to introduce new hardware or capabilities on any vehicle. I suggested they not forget what most drivers interact with the most on their vehicle every day beyond the gauges and stalks... yes, Infotainment and Nav. Improving those would reduce gripes and improve what many owners consider the area Lexus is near the back of the pack with...
How about they outsource the system to Garmin?
Old 12-09-13, 07:28 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by coachlkg
And in the meantime Lexus will charge you $169 to upgrade to old information.
It's closer to $300, including labor. Sorry, can't do the upgrade yourself.
Old 12-10-13, 05:28 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

How about they outsource the system to Garmin?
Mercedes-Benz made that announcement a few months ago to have all their on-board Nav done by Garmin under the covers within the next 4 years across all their models. Just realize Garmin also uses some of the same mapping data based on Navteq like our present Lexi do, so I'm not sure people's complaints with map accuracy and currency will be greatly improved -- we'll have to see what the implementation is and if they include some of the real-time capabilities MBZ/Garmin/Tom-Tom are deploying in Europe.

IMHO and FWIW, based on my 2014 MBZ, I have little complaint with the MBZ Nav as it is -- it's interface and the surrounding Infotainment system is unfortunately superior to what I have in my 2013 RX450h. MBZ has made a definite attempt to keep pace with technology and usability, and seems to want to keep moving forward in what is possible in their Nav/Infotainment systems opposed to some brands.
Old 12-16-13, 05:59 AM
coachlkg
Rookie

Garmin also uses some of the same mapping data based on Navteq like our present Lexi do, so I'm not sure people's complaints with map accuracy and currency will be greatly improved
My 2012 Garmin provides more accurate directions than my 2013 Lexus Nav.
Old 12-16-13, 07:08 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 2012 Garmin provides more accurate directions than my 2013 Lexus Nav.
Your Garmin also has the ability to be taken out of the car and into the house to get plugged in and receive the most current map information.

It should be more accurate. Should also be more accurate than any car navigation based system not linked directly to a satellite for point in time information.

I get comparing car nav to car nav, but compariing portable nav systems to vehicle nav systems just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 12-16-13, 07:47 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

My "frustration" system just had a fan failure in the freezing weather we have. It keeps making abnormal noises, even after the vehicle is turned off.
Now I have to take it in for service to have replaced or repaired.
Thank you, Lexus, for forcing me to buy an unreliable and proprietary piece of hardware that I didn't want in the first place!
Old 12-17-13, 07:46 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
My "frustration" system just had a fan failure in the freezing weather we have. It keeps making abnormal noises, even after the vehicle is turned off.
Now I have to take it in for service to have replaced or repaired.
Thank you, Lexus, for forcing me to buy an unreliable and proprietary piece of hardware that I didn't want in the first place!
Sorry about the recent problem with your RX and your continued disappointments with it in general. While the fan issue you just reported does not seem to be about Nav & GPS as this thread is, I do hope 2014 brings you more joy out of your Lexus that it seems to have from your posts of late, or perhaps Santa brings a new vehicle into your life that better suits your expectations.

Honestly though -- Good Luck with that repair. Not good to have a failure with anything dealing with heat and aircon this time of year, no matter where any of us live!
Old 12-17-13, 03:07 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Sorry about the recent problem with your RX and your continued disappointments with it in general. While the fan issue you just reported does not seem to be about Nav & GPS as this thread is, I do hope 2014 brings you more joy out of your Lexus that it seems to have from your posts of late, or perhaps Santa brings a new vehicle into your life that better suits your expectations.

Honestly though -- Good Luck with that repair. Not good to have a failure with anything dealing with heat and aircon this time of year, no matter where any of us live!
Thanks, Bert! That made my day.
I have been a bit grumpy in the past few months. Must be the new job and lack of sleep.
I can only wish Santa could produce a vehicle that would suit my needs.
A manual IS350 AWD would fit the bill perfectly. But I can only dream. My next DD most likely will not be a Lexus.
RX is safe, though. Navigation or not, it is here to stay. I have to keep telling myself, I used the loyalty rebate to offset the cost of a custom-ordered RX without Navigation. Now, where is that darn AC button?
Old 12-23-13, 06:36 AM
coachlkg
Rookie

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Your Garmin also has the ability to be taken out of the car and into the house to get plugged in and receive the most current map information.

It should be more accurate. Should also be more accurate than any car navigation based system not linked directly to a satellite for point in time information.

I get comparing car nav to car nav, but compariing portable nav systems to vehicle nav systems just doesn't make sense to me.
AND my Garmin updates are free!
Old 12-24-13, 01:10 AM
BobAgain
Driver School Candidate

Default Problem Solved

I took SWMBO's RX in to our local dealer (Rohrich) for the initial checkup and had a talk with both the technology guy and the service manager about a variety of issues including the GPS. They were familiar with specific highways not being listed, knew that the most recent update still didn't have the highway, and asked if I could please bring it back after the next release of map updates for a comp update. Given the parameters of their toolkit, I found this to be a very positive response - and not a surprise. I am impressed with the service organization.

In the meantime, we took the car for a 1k loop that included pulling a trailer 500 miles. Very comfortable. We listened to sat radio and books on tape (okay, books on iPod) and set my Droid navigation (using Google maps) on the shelf. Real time traffic conditions on real time roads.

Ideal? no. Did it work? yes.
Old 01-20-14, 08:51 PM
cflutist
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GPS Accuracy?

Anybody having problems with the GPS accuracy?

My home is in the San Francisco Bay Area on an one-acre hilltop lot.
When I was playing with the Navigation tonight, it thinks that
I'm at the house next door which is 300 feet away. When I drove home the other night
it thought that I had arrived at my destination two houses up the street (I was smart enough to program the local Police Dept as my "Home" address at the dealer though).

Will try to calibrate it tomorrow when I move the car from the garage up our circular
driveway to the front door.

Was just wondering if anyone else had this problem as my Android phone does a better job than that ... it even knows what part of the house we are in when using Google Maps.

Cheryl
2014 RX 450h AWD (day 13 and still learning about this car)
Old 01-22-14, 09:10 AM
capcap
Rookie

Talking

I use the Garmin unit and love it. The unit tucks into the radio display cubby with its sand tray and barely noticeable cord. It is bright, accurate,and looks as if it belongs there, is easy to use while moving, displays speed and and speed limits, has free map and traffic updates, hooks to Google Maps to get locations and only cost $129. Seems like the way to go to me!
Old 01-22-14, 11:28 AM
charlesn
Driver School Candidate

I just started a new lease on a 450h, which took me from the 2010 Lexus Nav to the 2014 version, but I continue to find the Waze app to EASILY be better than either one. Generally, I find the ETA from Waze to be almost spot-on, while ETA on Lexus Nav is consistently much earlier than your actual arrival time will be. The XM real time traffic info on the 2010 was so inaccurate that I found it useless… and, just the other day, the 2014 Nav incorrectly identified which road was which at the Route 95 & Route 80 interchange near the George Washington Bridge--and this is one of the most heavily traveled interchanges in the country! Fortunately, I knew where I was going, so I ignored the Nav directions, but it doesn't give you much confidence in the system.

Perhaps an update to Enform Apps will allow it to support the Waze app, and then I could have Waze on my Nav screen! Until then, I'll continue to use a cup holder mount for my IPhone and run Waze on its screen.

Quick Reply: Disappointed with Lexus GPS system