RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX 350 vs 450h deals

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-12, 01:39 AM
gambit32
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX 350 vs 450h deals

Not sure which car I want to get. The two offers I have are:

1) 2010 RX350 $34k with CPO and 36k miles, fully equipped (even HUd though I'd never use that). CPO included brand new 4x brake pads and 4x tires.

2) 2010 RX450h $34k without CPO 30k miles, fully equipped.

First, are these good deals?

Second, not sure how long I'd keep the car but probably 5-7 years or so. I drive about 9k miles/yr. Does the math on getting the hybrid make sense? How much would it cost to get the equivalent of a CPO?

Third, is there any way to diminish the noise on the 450h? It is really annoying when a) stopping and b) accelerating around 60-80mph.

Thanks!
Old 05-30-12, 05:14 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'll let others comment about good deals, etc. as many times this just ends up being very subjective...

...but if you are new to considering a hybrid, you may want to search around here some more. Many of us love the vehicle -- you have to consider other longer term benefits such as less maintenance than comparative RX350 and there are other more subjective benefits such as helping reduce dependence on fossil fuels if you're into that sort of thing. In terms of noise on RXh -- well, with stopping, that is regenerative brakes kicking in to charge your batteries and acceleration sound is pretty normal if you've got your foot pressed to the floor, and should level out as you get up to speed. Many of us love the added power and acceleration possibility of the RXh compared to it's sister non-hybrid model. In other words, in the world of hybrids -- not just RXh, there are different sounds one needs to get used to. Once you do, it is not annoying -- just different -- including the ability to run around in "stealth mode" for limited distances with NO sound when running electric only at low speeds.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 05-30-12, 06:29 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

That is GOOD deal on the the RXh (assuming it is in good shape). The same car would run in the 40's here in the midwest. The sounds and driving styles you will get used to in about 1 week.

Good luck.
Old 05-30-12, 08:03 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
That is GOOD deal on the the RXh (assuming it is in good shape). The same car would run in the 40's here in the midwest. The sounds and driving styles you will get used to in about 1 week.

Good luck.
Maybe too good a deal. I would ask what it would cost to certify the hybrid. If they won't give you a price or if it is outrageous versus buying a warranty on your own, I would look at another car.
Old 05-30-12, 09:18 AM
gambit32
Driver School Candidate

Thank you for your feedback. My stepbrother manages a dealership and the $34k is what he paid the owner for trade-in value - so they've already inspected it and it's a legit deal. Only question is how much I can expect to pay in getting a CPO quality warranty.

For example, the $34k one (RX350 - which is from a different dealership) was 29k trade in, and they put in 4x new pads and 4x new tires and CPO'd it, making it $34k .
Old 05-30-12, 09:25 AM
gambit32
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by BertL
I'll let others comment about good deals, etc. as many times this just ends up being very subjective...

...but if you are new to considering a hybrid, you may want to search around here some more. Many of us love the vehicle -- you have to consider other longer term benefits such as less maintenance than comparative RX350 and there are other more subjective benefits such as helping reduce dependence on fossil fuels if you're into that sort of thing. In terms of noise on RXh -- well, with stopping, that is regenerative brakes kicking in to charge your batteries and acceleration sound is pretty normal if you've got your foot pressed to the floor, and should level out as you get up to speed. Many of us love the added power and acceleration possibility of the RXh compared to it's sister non-hybrid model. In other words, in the world of hybrids -- not just RXh, there are different sounds one needs to get used to. Once you do, it is not annoying -- just different -- including the ability to run around in "stealth mode" for limited distances with NO sound when running electric only at low speeds.

Good luck with your decision.
Can you quantify what I can expect in terms of lower maintenance costs and also explain why that is the case?

I also wasn't aware that the RXh had better acceleration and added power. Could you quantify that as well?

Lastly, I am trying to calculate how much $$ I would save on gas per year based on the info I provided in OP. Does the RXh require premium grade gas? Also what would my expected avg MPG be on 80% highway, 20% street? Thanks!
Old 05-30-12, 10:16 AM
BertL

Gambit... Suggest you take a look through the sticky FAQ at top of this forum here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ease-read.html. It has lots of good info including pointers on differences between hybrid and non-hybrid. At a high level to start answering your questions here, maint cost on hybrid can be lower for example the brakes don't end up being replaced as often because of regenerative braking, and therefore pads just don't end up being used as much.. Other differences in the FAQs above and looking at major service items required by Lexus on each of the vehicles. Mileage and HP all vary based on if you are comparing FWD or AWD between the 350 and 450h -- not sure what you're after -- AWD costs about 1-2 MPG compared to FWD on both vehicles. Generally the 450h will do a little better on the highway mileage-wise compared to the 350 unless you maintain a lead foot... Where the 450h shines in MPG is in city and start/stop traffic situations... On HP, the RX450h with AWD has better acceleration than a FWD or a 350 because the 450h AWD has 3 engines... 6 cyl gas plus 2 electrics that can kick together when needed giving you the increased acceleration -- it's 0-60 is best of either kind of 350 or the FWD 450h.. Yes, 450h needs premium according to Lexus, but there are other threads on this board with other peoples opinion on that (some 450h owners use regular). More specs and such are in those FAQs. Come back at us with other questions once you take a gander there.

Last edited by BertL; 05-30-12 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Fixed spelling all over the place
Old 05-30-12, 10:22 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

The 450h has fewer things to maintain. Off the top of my head, the brake pads can last three times as long as non-hybrid (low to no brake dust too), the A/C is electric, no belts to worry about. The service is a bit cheaper overall. And there's a 25 HP difference, 295 vs. 270 on the non-hybrid RX. You can select eco mode to maximize fuel savings or leave it off for those quick accelerations. There is no appreciable difference between city and highway driving mileage-wise. Premium is required but I've managed to cut my trips to gas station in half. That has certainly made a difference. You also get some features not available on the 350 like VDIM, and some pretty cool looking rims.

If that 450h checks out, I say go for it. But be prepared to make some changes to your driving style. It's all good though.
Old 05-30-12, 11:14 AM
Paul B
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BertL
Gambit... Suggest you take a look through the sticky FAQ at top of this forum here https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...ease-read.html. It has lots of good info including pointers on differences between hybrid and non-hybrid. At a high level to start answering your questions here, maint cost on hybrid can be lower for example the brakes don't end up being replaced as often because of regenerative braking, and therefore pads just don't end up being used as much.. Other differences in the FAQs above and looking at major service items required by Lexus on each of the vehicles. Mileage and HP all vary based on if you are comparing FWD or AWD between the 350 and 450h -- not sure what you're after -- AWD costs about 1-2 MPG compared to FWD on both vehicles. Generally the 450h will do a little better on the highway mileage-wise compared to the 350 unless you maintain a lead foot... Where the 450h shines in MPG is in city and start/stop traffic situations... On HP, the RX450h with AWD has better acceleration than a FWD or a 350 because the 450h AWD has 3 engines... 6 cyl gas plus 2 electrics that can kick together when needed giving you the increased acceleration -- it's 0-60 is best of either kind of 350 or the FWD 450h.. Yes, 450h needs premium according to Lexus, but there are other threads on this board with other peoples opinion on that (some 450h owners use regular). More specs and such are in those FAQs. Come back at us with other questions once you take a gander there.
Hi Bert,

My understanding was that AWD only engages when wheel slippage occurs and that an AWD RX 350 is usually in FWD. You state that AWD costs about 1-2 MPG compared to both FWD vehicles and I'm trying to reconcile that with the part time AWD on the RX 350.

Paul
Old 05-30-12, 11:26 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those are Lexus's numbers for the AWD. Here in Canada you can only get the 450H in AWD which is fine by me as I would want it no other way. I would it is due to the extra weight. The AWD is still only partial and it uses the electric motors to drive the wheels.

The 450 has VDIM as standard, no belts, electronic air and water pump and a few other things. The gas milage in the city is rediculous for a vehicle this size. Even on the highway pulling two quads on a trailer I was getting 9.8l per 100K (24mpg US). In the city driving conservativley I easily get around 7.2l/ 100Km or 32.5 mpg US.
Old 05-30-12, 11:50 AM
gambit32
Driver School Candidate

I'm 80% highway / 20% city - what would my expected MPG be on the 350 vs the 450h?

I did read through some of the FAQ threads, thanks.
Old 05-30-12, 12:13 PM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by gambit32
Thank you for your feedback. My stepbrother manages a dealership and the $34k is what he paid the owner for trade-in value - so they've already inspected it and it's a legit deal. Only question is how much I can expect to pay in getting a CPO quality warranty.

For example, the $34k one (RX350 - which is from a different dealership) was 29k trade in, and they put in 4x new pads and 4x new tires and CPO'd it, making it $34k .
By all means go with your step-brother. There is a good thread on here somewhere about good places to buy warranties. I think some Lexus Dealer in the South was discounting them for anyone including non-customers. If nothing else start a new thread and the answers will come pouring out!
Old 05-30-12, 12:21 PM
BertL

Originally Posted by Paul B
Hi Bert,

My understanding was that AWD only engages when wheel slippage occurs and that an AWD RX 350 is usually in FWD. You state that AWD costs about 1-2 MPG compared to both FWD vehicles and I'm trying to reconcile that with the part time AWD on the RX 350.

Paul
As InRBigness eludes to, Lexus cites the numbers. Following are directly from the website just now for 2013s. I think you'll see where I came up with my generalizations above. Also included the acceleration nums while I was there for Gambit's benefit.
City/Highway/Combined. 0-60 MPH sec
RX350 FWD 18/25/21. 7.7
RX350 AWD 18/24/20. 7.8
RX450h FWD 32/28/30. 7.8
RX450h AWD 30/28/29. 7.4

...and Gambit, maybe someone can guess on your 80/20 question, but I won't go there. . Take a peek at the nums above from Lexus which are as consistent of method for indicating this across brands and models as you'll probably find.
Old 05-30-12, 12:26 PM
BertL

Originally Posted by MARQEVANS
By all means go with your step-brother. There is a good thread on here somewhere about good places to buy warranties. I think some Lexus Dealer in the South was discounting them for anyone including non-customers. If nothing else start a new thread and the answers will come pouring out!
Fd-warranty.com
Old 05-30-12, 02:56 PM
gambit32
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. Any other companies you'd recommend?

Turns out I actually save a bunch of money on the hybrid deal assuming the aftermarket warranty is around ~$3k (savings from mpg + maint costs). It also sounds like its a better car overall. I think I'll go with that deal.

Quick Reply: RX 350 vs 450h deals