RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

sirius/xm radio subscription

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-12, 06:43 PM
UNCBoomer
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also heard about a lifetime price. This is the first time I had it in a car and while I like the variety of channels, I will not pay $16 per month for it. I might be interested for around $75 a year, but any more than that I will pass. The audio level is horrible and when I drive into a structure or around trees the signal is lost. Here in NC, trees are plentiful. I can listen to FM, 6 CDs, bluetooth audio from IPHONE or IPOD via USB which sounds great and loud. That can be several thousand songs anyway.
Old 06-28-12, 03:04 AM
wa3cuj
Intermediate

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I listen to one channel (The Blend) almost exclusively. I have a multi year contract (I don't even remember how many years, but I realize that it would be much more cost effective to build my own playlist and purchase the MP3's to put on a USB stick.

The XM Traffic is a waste for me, the warnings have never panned out. XM Weather is always days behind. I do use the XM Stocks, but life would not end for me if I did not have it.

I plan to start building a list of possible replacements for my wife's Audi A6 which we should probably replace when we get back from Florida in the Spring of 2013. I doubt that I will be subscribing to XM/Sirius with a new car. Especially since many new cars are now coming through with HD radio.
Old 06-29-12, 12:02 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on the customer service comments. It took me 90 minutes on the phone to do something that should have taken 5 minutes. Sheesh!
Old 06-29-12, 01:04 PM
Ciege
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just renewed (my wife's account)... $95 for 1 year including Internet Access... Also included all taxes & fees...

I figured I could push for a little better price but I didn't want to be on the phone much longer than I already was.
Old 06-29-12, 05:37 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ciege
Just renewed (my wife's account)... $95 for 1 year including Internet Access... Also included all taxes & fees...

I figured I could push for a little better price but I didn't want to be on the phone much longer than I already was.
Had her subscription expired or where you calling in before it expired to renew?
Old 06-30-12, 06:59 PM
BP1203
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After being on hold for almost an hour Thursday (b/c they won't change your plan when you live chat), I told them I wanted to cancel my service. Got the $15/month plan for $88 for the year on my 4Runner. When my wife's RX free subscription is up, I plan on doing the same thing and will do the same thing every year.

I HATE SiriusXM, but they are the only game left in town.
Old 07-01-12, 11:11 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BP1203

I HATE SiriusXM, but they are the only game left in town.
have you guys considered internet radio? Pandora, iHeart, spotify etc.
with Toyota releasing Entune, it won't be a long wait for Lexus to pick it up.
Old 07-01-12, 12:13 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Internet radio is part of Enform 2.0 which is on all 2013 RXs -- I have it, but won't be using it very often.

While there is no fee for iHeart or Pandora themselves, the challenge is, you better have an unlimited or really big monthly cellular data plan if you want to use either music source any significant amount. You'll also have to deal with drop outs when your phone does not get great reception -- there is no download or significant advance buffering from what I could tell In a few tests with this implementation, so it just quits when the connection is lost. OTOH, you could listen to SiriusXM 7x24 as part of the standard subscription fee, but reception can also be an issue for it in areas with lots of trees, concrete parking structures and garages, etc. My limited experience playing with both here in SoCal is satellite reception is hands down better and more consistent than trying to maintain a strong continuous data connection via my AT&T iPhone -- I'm sure that will vary for everyone based on cellphone, carrier, and locations traveled. 4G may make some of that better as it rolls out in the future.

If I want to be assured of continuous tunes, USB, iPod, and CD (or DVD for those with ML) are the way to go. Fortunately my iPod Classic stays in my RX and has enough music for more than 100 days of non-repeated playing 7x24. ...and there is always HD Radio if I want something that's both free and live. I'm liking "The Blend" channel on XM... it is on every time I jump in my RX, but I'm 99% sure that will only last 2 more months until my trial expires, given cost and their abysmal customer support.
Old 07-01-12, 02:00 PM
Ciege
Rookie

Originally Posted by UCSB
Had her subscription expired or where you calling in before it expired to renew?
She was expired and we were about 5 days past the renewal date (although the radio was not off yet).
Old 07-12-12, 09:50 PM
zmanRX350
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I'm not sure what Sirius/XM is doing these days, but in the past when you call to cancel your service and tell them at that cost it's not a value to you, They'll come up with better pricing.

If you do a search on the topic you can see what some others have received. My current subscription runs thru September and it was $77 for the year, radio only, no traffic or weather.
I called +1-866-637-8480 today and asked for a renewal of last year's $77.00 subscription promo. The XM cust serv person said that promo is no longer being offered. And that my first radio renewal would be $159.39 and second radio (wife's car) would be $109.89.

What a rip. I guess they can leverage this price since they are the only game in town.
Old 07-12-12, 09:56 PM
zmanRX350
Driver

Originally Posted by UCSB
My $77 subscription auto renewed at something like the $164 mentioned above. But, other devices I own have expired and I have received an offer for 6 months for $25 (not sure if that is for the entire service) many times. I don't know the status of the $77 special at this point in time.
I called +1-866-637-8480 today and asked for a renewal of last year's $77.00 subscription promo. The XM cust serv person said that promo is "no longer being offered". And that my first radio renewal would be $159.39 and second radio (wife's car) would be $109.89.

What a rip. I guess they can leverage this price since they are the only game in town.
Old 07-13-12, 06:25 AM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're jesting, right? The "other satellite radio service" is XM Sirius.

Yes I was.

Last edited by MC5Wes; 07-13-12 at 05:46 PM.
Old 07-13-12, 09:43 AM
Ciege
Rookie

Originally Posted by zmanRX350
I called +1-866-637-8480 today and asked for a renewal of last year's $77.00 subscription promo. The XM cust serv person said that promo is "no longer being offered". And that my first radio renewal would be $159.39 and second radio (wife's car) would be $109.89.

Actually they aren't... Tell them with the proliferation of MP3s on your phone, streaming through your phone (such as Pandora and Spotify) they are not the only game in town... You will get a discount.

As I posted earlier I settled on $95/year after all taxes and fees plus this included free internet streaming.
Old 07-13-12, 04:46 PM
zmanRX350
Driver

Originally Posted by Ciege
Actually they aren't... Tell them with the proliferation of MP3s on your phone, streaming through your phone (such as Pandora and Spotify) they are not the only game in town... You will get a discount.

As I posted earlier I settled on $95/year after all taxes and fees plus this included free internet streaming.
So I called the SiriusXM "retention" department today at 1866-519-7570. I asked to renew the radios at promotional $86.00 annual fee. The SXM rep stated this cannot happen and my radios are not eligible. I asked her to cancel the subscription because it was too expensive. She said "wait, let me transfer you to a customer care rep who can help". I asked for the name and direct phone # for that dept, and she could not tell me. Weird.

Anyway, I talked to another SXM rep after being transferred and waiting on hold for 20 minutes. I asked for the "promotional rate". He said, "yes, I can do the $86.00 annual fee on both radios". I said "go for it."

Persistence helps I suppose.
Old 07-17-12, 09:34 AM
jimmymagic
Driver

My service doesn't expire until August 16 but I got an offer from Sirius yesterday: $39 for 6 months (with automatic renewal at the existing--and higher--rate).

Quick Reply: sirius/xm radio subscription