RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Recirculate vs. Fresh Air

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-12, 07:18 AM
Paul B
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's the TSB:

L-SB-0086-11

August 29, 2011

HVAC Odor
Service Category
Vehicle Interior
Section
Heating/Air Conditioning
Market
USA

Applicability

Introduction

Under certain temperature conditions some customers may experience an unpleasant odor coming from the face level HVAC vents during the initial 10 seconds of HVAC system operation. An HVAC Amplifier is now available with updated logic that will direct air away from the face level vents under certain temperature conditions during the first 10 seconds of HVAC operation.

This TSIB does not apply to the following conditions:

^

The unpleasant odor continues after the initial 10 seconds of HVAC system operation

^

The unpleasant odor does not begin immediately after the HVAC system is turned ON

^

The unpleasant odor is present with the HVAC system OFF

Production Change Information

This TSIB applies to the following vehicles:

^

All 2010 vehicles

^

All 2011 vehicles produced BEFORE the VIN break

Parts Information

Warranty Information

Repair Procedure

Duplicate the condition by performing the following:

A.

Park the vehicle outside.

B.

Set the HVAC system to Low Fan Speed and Face Mode.

C.

Turn the HVAC system OFF.

D.

Turn the vehicle OFF.

E.

Let the vehicle sit for at least 2 hours.

F.

Turn vehicle ON.

G.

Turn ON the HVAC system.

If the unpleasant odor does not start immediately after the HVAC system is turned ON or continues for more than 30 seconds this TSIB does not apply.

Remove the A/C Amplifier. Refer to the Technical Information System (TIS) applicable model and model year Repair Manual:

^

2010 (to 08/2009) / 2010 (from 08/2009) / 2011 RX 350:Vehicle Interior - Heating/Air Conditioning - "Air Conditioning Amplifier: Removal"

Install the updated A/C amplifier. Refer to TIS applicable model and model year Repair Manual:

^

2010 (to 08/2009) / 2010 (from 08/2009) / 2011 RX 350:Vehicle Interior - Heating/Air Conditioning - "Air Conditioning Amplifier: Installation"

Verify Proper HVAC System Operation
Old 06-09-12, 10:47 AM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

DunWkg,

Unless Toyota has changed since 2009, your suggestion will not work. If the sensor determines the interior of your vehicle is "hot enough," the HVAC will automatically switch to "recirc" and kick on the compressor. It has to be changed under "personalized settings."

Pretty sure I did a detailed post on this a few years ago on this board or "Lexus Owners Club."
Old 06-09-12, 02:28 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

BobBass,

Thanks for setting me straight. I'll look up your post, if the archives go back that far.

Is this it?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2436813-post18.html

Last edited by DunWkg; 06-09-12 at 02:42 PM. Reason: found thread
Old 06-09-12, 06:48 PM
BobBass
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

That's ONE of them. I thought I had specified the exact name of the setting which has to be changed in ":C-Best" personalized settings.

Here's my post from another forum:

"You need to have the dealer turn off the "auto-recirculate" under "personalized settings." If you had this done before the 5K service, they would have done it for free. They will probably charge you to do it now.

I HATE the way this function is programmed at the factory. I like to have control over this and don't want the vehicle's HVAC system to decide when it should be on recirc.

We had the same issue with our Camry hybrid. When I brought it up with that service writer, he acted like they never heard of it before. The service manager had to "open up a case with Toyota" to figure out what to do, and this is a GOOD service dept. Apparently very few people think like you and I do on this. I'll tell you this; I will make sure this is done BEFORE taking delivery of my next Toyota.

I'm also "old school" with the A/C compressor, ALWAYS turning it off a half mile or so before parking the vehicle if it's been on. I run with it off whenever possible. One drag about the third generation is getting to that "button" in the menu. I guess once you get used to accessing the screen functions with Remote Touch it's OK, but what could be easier than the touchscreen in the '08?

Good luck and hopefully your Lexus service dept. will change the setting for free. "

Another guy posted this:

"On the RX450h, I can turn the auto recir on and off in the software. If I turn it on, it will act like what the OP said, if I shut it off, the recire will stay where I set it to unless I turn on the front defroster. I think the RX400h doesnt have that option, only the dealer can turn it off."
Old 06-10-12, 06:47 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Bob,

Thanks for digging those up. The 2010-2012 have two settings, "Enhanced Ventilation Mode" and "Auto A/C" (not sure of exact wording). The online manual is less than helpful in describing their exact function. Gotta grab the book and see if there is a different description in there, which I doubt.

Thanks for pointing this out, it is something folks are looking for. The only downside, which in most cases it is not a downside, is that these setting can only be changed when the car is stationary.

Thanks again for the extra effort finding your previous posts.

Last edited by DunWkg; 06-10-12 at 06:49 AM. Reason: spelling errors...
Old 06-12-12, 04:47 PM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm new to the forum. Just got my 2013 Rx450h. Previously i had a 2008 RX400h that my wife is now driving. One thing has bugged me and neither the dealer sale rep nor their tech rep don't seem to know the answer. There are apparently 2 "options" on the Rx for recirculating air - some vehicles have a Type A switch on the dash that has 3 positions: Recirc, Auto, Outside. There's also a Type B switch that has only 2 options: Recirc and Outside.I have the Type B switch. I live in Houston so it's already HOT. But after the car has cooled down I want it to switch from Recirc to Outside air until it needs the extra cooling ability. The manual also suggests you should not leave the system in Recirc overnite.

No matter what I do it always goes to Recirc when I start the vehicle, which seems to be in accordance with the manual - any time the outside temp is > 75 deg it goes to Recirc to cool faster. But it never switches over to Outside no matter how long it runs. When in Auto-everything mode, all previous vehicles I've owned would only stay in Recirc mode long enough to cool down the inside, then switch to Outside air. If I overrode the system by manually switching to either mode it would stay there until I pressed Auto.

I asked if this was a LPS setting and the tech guy told me NO. Ugh...Does anyone know why some vehicles have the Type A vs Type B switch? Is this part of an option package?

I have Premium Pkg, Convenience Pkg, Nav, HUD, Auto Climate Control and some other stuff...not Luxury Pkg. Does that matter?
Old 06-12-12, 07:54 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

There have been minor changes since the 2010 but the basics are probably the same. You should be able to control the way the A/C operates when the car is started through the settings. They are only available when the accessories are on and the car is in park. As a matter of fact, there are a lot of settings there you have control over. Also it has a sensitivity control in settings for dirt particles for the incoming air. You can set it to go to recirculation for very little to a lot of particles in the air and you may need to set that.

Welcome to C/L, we're glad you're here. If you have a photo of your car post it as soon as your account allows you. Was glad to hear you started reading the manual already. Lot's of good stuff there. And I'm assuming you have the NAV system. If not, I'm not sure how it all works without that.

Originally Posted by TexasRxh
I'm new to the forum. Just got my 2013 Rx450h. Previously i had a 2008 RX400h that my wife is now driving. One thing has bugged me and neither the dealer sale rep nor their tech rep don't seem to know the answer. There are apparently 2 "options" on the Rx for recirculating air - some vehicles have a Type A switch on the dash that has 3 positions: Recirc, Auto, Outside. There's also a Type B switch that has only 2 options: Recirc and Outside.I have the Type B switch. I live in Houston so it's already HOT. But after the car has cooled down I want it to switch from Recirc to Outside air until it needs the extra cooling ability. The manual also suggests you should not leave the system in Recirc overnite.

No matter what I do it always goes to Recirc when I start the vehicle, which seems to be in accordance with the manual - any time the outside temp is > 75 deg it goes to Recirc to cool faster. But it never switches over to Outside no matter how long it runs. When in Auto-everything mode, all previous vehicles I've owned would only stay in Recirc mode long enough to cool down the inside, then switch to Outside air. If I overrode the system by manually switching to either mode it would stay there until I pressed Auto.

I asked if this was a LPS setting and the tech guy told me NO. Ugh...Does anyone know why some vehicles have the Type A vs Type B switch? Is this part of an option package?

I have Premium Pkg, Convenience Pkg, Nav, HUD, Auto Climate Control and some other stuff...not Luxury Pkg. Does that matter?

Last edited by Cruiter; 06-12-12 at 07:55 PM. Reason: info
Old 06-13-12, 05:36 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Cruiter. I believe the particle sensor is only on the luxury package (smog-sensing auto recirc); I don't have that...wanted it but didn't want to wait. This morning it was 72 deg (cooler than the 75 deg it says forces recirc) and it still remained in Recirc mode until I switched it manually. I'm hoping this mode is one of the LPS options I can have the dealer set. Wish I could find that list online...anyone?
Old 06-13-12, 07:48 AM
ejm3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've given up. I just press the button to fresh air as soon as I start the car and manage the AC though the menus even though its a pain.
Old 06-13-12, 08:33 AM
DunWkg
Racer

There have been minor changes since the 2010 but the basics are probably the same.
Jim, I believe you're correct. Some of the changes may have been in that mid-year change in 2010, as I don't remember the particulate setting in the second half 2010. I think one of the most noticeable changes is the number of and style of the ventilation button(s). I'm guessing, but one change maybe improved efficiency of the cabin filter. Using a high efficiency filter reduces the concern for particulates such as dirt, dust or pollen. Then again, it could be cost saving.

Here is some information from a tech manual for the 2012 450h.

Recirculate vs. Fresh Air-ventilation.jpg

The A/C amplifier referred to is a component of the climate control neural network.
Old 06-13-12, 08:49 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Wish I could find that list online...anyone?
Go to the Lexus Drivers web site:

http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/home

You don't need to log in. Using the menu bar across the top
click on "My Lexus" then "Manuals & Resources" then from the drop down menus
pick your model and year then
type either "settings" or "customization" in the blank box hit return and it will then find a list of PDFs
in that list of PDFs will be your answer
Old 06-13-12, 08:54 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

^^Don't even need to do that. It's in the FAQ thread at the top of this forum.
Old 06-13-12, 09:01 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Originally Posted by kitlz
^^Don't even need to do that. It's in the FAQ thread at the top of this forum.

oops, my bad.
Old 06-13-12, 01:22 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
oops, my bad.
Just trying to make everyone's life a little easier. I know you were too
Old 06-14-12, 11:46 AM
gladiator9
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Because the system is very unique. You probably have it set on 'Auto'. In that mode sensors test the incoming air and if there are particulates in it (smoke, high pollen count, etc) then it will switch to re-circulate and back to fresh when the air is clean enough. If you have the NAV system you can control the sensitivity in the settings. You may need your manual to find it. I have mine set on maximum sensitivity and it works well. Also the filter will last longer that way with less mold and dirt and pollen buildup.

I hope this is what you're looking for.
Gosh, I never knew that you could adjust the sensitivity for the incoming air. I'll have to look up how to do this and set it on maximum. Thanks for the heads up Jim!
Jim

Quick Reply: Recirculate vs. Fresh Air