RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Dealer charges for Light service (5k,15k..) and Oil change service (10k,20..)

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-12, 09:09 AM
rx11fan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer charges for Light service (5k,15k..) and Oil change service (10k,20..)

Hi Guys,

I just got off the phone with my dealer and he wants to charge $160 + parts for light service (15k) which he says requires 1.5hrs of labor and $280 for oil change service (20k) that requires 2hrs. Now I know get the feeling of driving a Luxury SUV

Do anyone pay this much for a light service? All the manual says is to get tires rotated and check cabin filter and fluids etc. Really 1.5hrs for this? I can buy life time rotate/balance at walmart for $24. Called Toyota dealer and he charges $40 for oil change special this month and they do Lexus's all the time. Any thoughts?

Clean air conditioner filter
Inspect and adjust all fluid levels
Replace Smart Key battery
Reset maintenance reminder light
Re-torque nuts and bolts of drive shaft (AWD)
Rotate tires
Visually inspect brake pads, calipers and rotors
Check installation of driver’s floor mat
Road-test vehicle
Inspect the following: ___Axle shaft boots ___Ball joints and dust covers ___Body
___Brake lines and hoses ___Engine coolant (see page 70) ___Exhaust pipes and mountings
___Rack and pinion assembly ___Rear differential oil (AWD) ___Steering linkage and boots ___Transfer case oil (AWD)
Old 05-08-12, 09:29 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Personally Im going to be taking mine to the toyota dealership. There i can stand by my vehicle while they do the services and plus they said they don't mind doing lexus. They actually get a lot of lexus owners coming in to do maintenance. Their prices for the full synthetic oil change is like $70 something. Its better then the $150+ the lexus dealer charges.
Old 05-08-12, 09:32 AM
rx11fan
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sevn86
Personally Im going to be taking mine to the toyota dealership. There i can stand by my vehicle while they do the services and plus they said they don't mind doing lexus. They actually get a lot of lexus owners coming in to do maintenance. Their prices for the full synthetic oil change is like $70 something. Its better then the $150+ the lexus dealer charges.
What about the light service which doesn't need oil change?
Old 05-08-12, 09:41 AM
CANDYAPPLE
Driver

lexus service is a complete rip off. i blew a fuse and they wanted to charge me 275 bucks plus tax to check it out. they so easy to throw you a free loaner but it aint free if it takes you 5 mins to find a fuse, your actually renting the car. i just got a oil change at toyota and it cost me 45 bucks, and they set my tpms for 73 bucks and lexus wanted 300 bucks. i love toyota and they know whio i am cause i have a lexus lol.
Old 05-08-12, 09:52 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

take it to Toyota, don't ever roll into a Walmart with this thing.
Old 05-08-12, 10:33 AM
ejm3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I always laugh at these 5k, 15k, 20k services.

Take a look at what they "do" at these service intervals. Its almost always an oil change, tire rotation (maybe) and the rest is usually inspect this and check that for an hour or two of labor (@$100+/hr). This is true of every car brand, not just Lexus.

Really, nothing should be wrong at 10k or 20k miles that you didn't notice just driving the car around. And even if there is something wrong, the car is under warranty and its their responsibility to fix it if something breaks.

My dad bought a, E-class Mercedes a few years ago and he would take it in for an oil change and every time it would cost about $600. They would do all kinds of labor-related stuff without asking or checking with him first. They just did it because that's what Mercedes owners expect;: "Of course I want my car to be perfect and just do whatever you have to do and I'll pay for it.". But I come from the school that says if I take it in for an oil change just do the oil change and call me before you do anything else. My favorite is the nearly $200 they charged him to replace the wiper blades on his headlights, of course without asking him first.
Old 05-08-12, 10:55 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CANDYAPPLE
lexus service is a complete rip off. i blew a fuse and they wanted to charge me 275 bucks plus tax to check it out. they so easy to throw you a free loaner but it aint free if it takes you 5 mins to find a fuse, your actually renting the car. i just got a oil change at toyota and it cost me 45 bucks, and they set my tpms for 73 bucks and lexus wanted 300 bucks. i love toyota and they know whio i am cause i have a lexus lol.
They wanted a $138 from me last friday when i blew a fuse. I refused and they did it for free. Wont ever be going to a lexus dealer again.
Old 05-08-12, 11:00 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rx11fan
What about the light service which doesn't need oil change?
We keep every car we own for more then 10 years and we never do light services on any of our cars and have had no issues what so ever. We just get the oil changes done at the dealer only because i don't have the tools and i can stand by my car when they do the service. Other then that we change the air filters, and wiper blades, etc... ourselves. In regards to tires we get them at Discount tire and they come with free rotations and balance.
Old 05-08-12, 11:04 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
take it to Toyota, don't ever roll into a Walmart with this thing.
I had to take my jeep one time cuz the Jeep dealer was closed and that was the worst idea ever. I would never in my life take the lexus to Walmart.
Old 05-08-12, 11:26 AM
rx11fan
Rookie

I had to take my jeep one time cuz the Jeep dealer was closed and that was the worst idea ever. I would never in my life take the lexus to Walmart.
I wouldn't trust walmart for anything other than tire rotation. That is the only one I am ok with since I am watching them do it right in front of it. All other's including Toyota dealer, you just have to sit in waiting area.
Old 05-08-12, 11:30 AM
rx11fan
Rookie

Originally Posted by ejm3
I always laugh at these 5k, 15k, 20k services.

Take a look at what they "do" at these service intervals. Its almost always an oil change, tire rotation (maybe) and the rest is usually inspect this and check that for an hour or two of labor (@$100+/hr). This is true of every car brand, not just Lexus.
Well, its not even an oil change at 5,15,25 etc. Oil change is done only every 10,000 miles since we are on synthetic 0W20 for 2011 rx.

The in between services (light service as they call it) are just all inspections/checks and Tire Rotation. May be air filter/cabin filter once in a while.
Old 05-08-12, 11:34 AM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rx11fan
Well, its not even an oil change at 5,15,25 etc. Oil change is done only every 10,000 miles since we are on synthetic 0W20 for 2011 rx.

The in between services (light service as they call it) are just all inspections/checks and Tire Rotation. May be air filter/cabin filter once in a while.
All of which should take them under 30 minutes, not 1.5 hours. Unless their service technicians are complete idiots, in which case you definitely should avoid them.
Old 05-08-12, 11:42 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

My dealer charge $98 for a light service (tax included). Yes, they are quite expensive.
Old 05-08-12, 12:17 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GoHuskers
My dealer charge $98 for a light service (tax included). Yes, they are quite expensive.
Id just pass on the light services. I can do all that myself.
Old 05-08-12, 12:26 PM
rx11fan
Rookie

Id just pass on the light services. I can do all that myself.
Well, if you keep the car for 10yrs and maintain records for your warranty, you could do what ever you want. The only reason I go to dealer is that when I sell mine, most people are interested in dealer records vs me maintaining it myself. I can live with doing the light service aka tire rotation at a tire shop and replacing cabin filter/air filter and keep the receipts. I will have to decide whether to use toyota or lexus for oil changes...

Quick Reply: Dealer charges for Light service (5k,15k..) and Oil change service (10k,20..)