RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

New 2012 with windshield damage

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-12, 06:56 PM
leehom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2012 with windshield damage

Do you think it would be ok to purchase one with windshield dmg? The dealership is offering anywhere from $1k-$3.5k depending on how many windows are damaged. From what I could tell, I couldn't notice it at all. Is there any significant side effect if I purchase one?
Old 04-23-12, 07:02 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why is it damaged? Depending on the options on the car that is not a cheap windshield. Maybe he figures you will just file a claim on your insurance.
Old 04-23-12, 07:24 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If it is a new car with window damage, I would try to understand if this was from hail. If it is hail damage, then I would look at the paint very carefully for dents or damage. If you can live with minor hail damage, then you should be OK. If the windows are slightly pitted, I would consider wind/sand damage. Again, check paint. This is something that I personally would have a hard time with, but it happens in some areas. Many cars get damaged by hail or wind in operation so this is not unusual. If you have had any other more serious weather, then try to understand what you are dealing with ... like was the car restored to it's current condition.
Old 04-23-12, 07:28 PM
leehom
Driver School Candidate

He was trying to point out nicks in the windows but I couldn't see them. That's what I'm confused about, if the wind/sand was strong enough to damage the windows, why didn't it damage the paint?
Old 04-23-12, 07:50 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I was helping a friend purchase a VW CC two months ago. We did all the paperwork and then I discovered chip in the windshield. I then used that as leverage to lower the price. However, the management said they couldnt sell the car with a "broken" windshield for liability reasons. I am curious why the lexus dealer is still selling the vehicle with damage
Old 04-23-12, 08:23 PM
leehom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXSF
I was helping a friend purchase a VW CC two months ago. We did all the paperwork and then I discovered chip in the windshield. I then used that as leverage to lower the price. However, the management said they couldnt sell the car with a "broken" windshield for liability reasons. I am curious why the lexus dealer is still selling the vehicle with damage
I don't know, about half the vehicles had window/windshield damage. Is anyone on this board familiar with this kind of situation?
Old 04-24-12, 04:07 PM
ultra63
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume their insurance paid them $3000 and they discount the car a thousand!
Old 04-24-12, 05:39 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by leehom
He was trying to point out nicks in the windows but I couldn't see them. That's what I'm confused about, if the wind/sand was strong enough to damage the windows, why didn't it damage the paint?
If half the cars had damage, then a severe weather situation passed through town. Hail, high wind, tornado or a hurricane can all cause problems. It is sometimes easier to see nicks in the glass. But, if the glass is nicked then the paint is also probably damaged. It can be hard to see clear coat damage and it may not matter to you. Depending on the type of weather, possibly only one area of the car was hit. With hail it is usually the upper surfaces. With wind it is usually one side of the vehicle. Why not just ask the dealer what kind of storm damage caused the nicks and what steps the dealership has taken to reverse the damage. For example, hail damage is often repaired by using paintless dent repair. Possibly some windows on some cars were replaced, but they left other windows on the cars. Maybe the damage was minimal and they were just trying the be ethical in the sales process.

Last edited by UCSB; 04-24-12 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-25-12, 03:12 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

If your near Dallas, Fortworth, Oklahoma a huge storm system(including a tornado I believe) passed through that area like 3 weeks ago. Im sure its damage from there. I would personally pass on the car. They might have fixed the body and repainted some areas and didn't change the windshield due to cost. Also if you do buy request a Carfax for your new lexus. It sounds crazy to ask for a Carfax on a new car but they should provide one. Sometimes they report damage to Carfax and it could hurt you in the future if you try to sell it.