RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Black emblems (plastidip) and roof rack removed - RX'10

Old 04-22-12, 03:20 PM
j0emama
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Black emblems (plastidip) and roof rack removed - RX'10

Finally got around to finishing up some Mods on the wife's 2010 RX. Let me know what you think!

Roof Racks REMOVED - Had this done at the dealer for cost (about $70).

I also went ahead and used PlastiDip to black out all the chrome in the rear. Debating whether or not I want to do the front grille/logo as well. This was even easier than I thought it was going to be, even for a novice. The most important and time consuming part is the taping, take your time and the rest is a breeze.

Everything tapped off

Antenna

Light first coat

I did a total of 4 coats and touched up where needed. On the long strip above plate be sure to spray evenly and consistent otherwise it will be splotchy. It was splotchy for me and I just kept going over it with a constant spray and it evened out.

Peeling it off was even easier that I thought it was going to be. No problems what so ever.

FINAL PRODUCT

Overall I'm very happy with the results, and the best thing is that if I want to reverse it - I simply peel it right off. Even my wife was extremely iffy about it at first, but she's pleased with the results. I am interested in hearing everyone's feedback and considering doing the front. Total Cost: $5.95 + painters tape I had lying around. Plastidip is one heck of an automotive product.

Last edited by j0emama; 04-24-12 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-22-12, 06:30 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

There is an expression "In the eye of the beholder". If it looks good for you, then it's ok. Personally I think doing the rear door trim and door handles is a bit much. The Lexus script ??? Take it or leave it.

Sorry, but you asked for thoughts so ......
Originally Posted by j0emama
Finally got around to finishing up some Mods on the wife's 2010 RX. Let me know what you think!

Roof Racks REMOVED - Had this done at the dealer for cost (about $70).

I also went ahead and used PlastiDip to black out all the chrome in the rear. Debating whether or not I want to do the front grille/logo as well. This was even easier than I thought it was going to be, even for a novice. The most important and time consuming part is the taping, take your time and the rest is a breeze.

I did a total of 4 coats and touched up where needed. On the long strip above plate be sure to spray evenly and consistent otherwise it will be splotchy. It was splotchy for me and I just kept going over it with a constant sprat and it evened out.

Peeling it off was even easier that I thought it was going to be. No problems what so ever.

Overall I'm very happy with the results, and the best thing is that if I want to reverse it - I simply peel it right off. Even my wife was extremely iffy about it at first, but she's pleased with the results. I am interested in hearing everyone's feedback and considering doing the front. Total Cost: $5.95 + painters tape I had lying around. Plastidip is one heck of an automotive product.
Old 04-22-12, 07:00 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have to say, I am not a fan of the look. Especially the piece over the license plate. If you are happy with it that is what counts. I do like the roof rack removed although I am bias since that was the first thing I did.
Old 04-22-12, 08:06 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 182 Likes on 130 Posts

Damn. I really want to do this to mine, minus the shark fin. I barely have time to throw a coat of wax on the poor truck though.
Old 04-22-12, 08:56 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

nice. something different.
Old 04-22-12, 09:59 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

I dig the look. Contrast colors. it would have been cooler if only the L emblem stays while the lexus and rx350 removed for cleaner look.
Old 04-23-12, 01:08 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting project. The emblems are unique, but I think that I would put the chrome garnish above the license plate back to chrome. I would get a thin black (or create one) license plate frame. I'm not sure about what you would do on the front ... possibly the bars on the grille (or did you already do them; hard to tell).
Old 04-23-12, 05:14 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting custom look, but I probably wouldn't do it myself. Thanks for the informative pictures. Will be very interested to hear in future weeks/months how the material holds up under normal washing, drying, wear and tear. I suspect you could just peel it off and shoot again if need be -- that's pretty amazing stuff.
Old 04-23-12, 06:15 AM
j0emama
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MEP7557
I have to say, I am not a fan of the look. Especially the piece over the license plate. If you are happy with it that is what counts. I do like the roof rack removed although I am bias since that was the first thing I did.
I was on fence about doing the entire chrome strip (over license plate), but did it anyways with the intentions of peeling it off if I didn't like it. I think it looks better than if I left it chrome since there is no other chrome on the rear of the car (would look off). They do make a "glossy" finish not which I think would look much better than the matte, but for now it works for me and will stay.

Originally Posted by UCSB
Interesting project. The emblems are unique, but I think that I would put the chrome garnish above the license plate back to chrome. I would get a thin black (or create one) license plate frame. I'm not sure about what you would do on the front ... possibly the bars on the grille (or did you already do them; hard to tell).
Definitely going to do something about the license plate border, most likely plasidip it as well. Haven't done anything to the front grille yet. I would just do the chrome surrounding it and the maybe the L logo.

Originally Posted by BertL
Interesting custom look, but I probably wouldn't do it myself. Thanks for the informative pictures. Will be very interested to hear in future weeks/months how the material holds up under normal washing, drying, wear and tear. I suspect you could just peel it off and shoot again if need be -- that's pretty amazing stuff.
From all the reviews it holds up fine over the years. No problems washing the car or anything.

Last edited by j0emama; 04-23-12 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-23-12, 06:28 AM
gqscholar
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love when people personalize their cars to fit their liking.

Great Job.

Personally I'm the opposite of you. I love the chrome look against the white finish.

With that said, I appreciate seeing people put in the hard work to get the RX 350 as close to their liking as possible.

Old 04-23-12, 09:03 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

IMO It looks good. Its something i would imagine seeing on an Lexus IS or something. Not on a RX350.
Old 04-23-12, 04:21 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

wow; very different and defiately the first. you may want to complete "black-out" by tinting the tail lamp. you should also put back the roof rail after covering with platidip.

at least its easily undo-able.
Old 04-23-12, 06:39 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I like. After the grill you should hit the chrome pieces on the bottom part of the doors and around the windows to finish it off.
Old 04-23-12, 06:42 PM
HalDayzed
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the look of the roof rack removal, but the plastidip isn't speaking to me.
Old 04-24-12, 06:50 AM
j0emama
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kitlz
I like. After the grill you should hit the chrome pieces on the bottom part of the doors and around the windows to finish it off.
I was thinking that too. If I went and did the front grille I might as well complete it and hit the side lower trim. Best thing about this stuff is I can peel it all off if I'm not liking the look or bored with it. Eff it, I'm doin it!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Black emblems (plastidip) and roof rack removed - RX'10