RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

do you have to ask for 0w-20?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-12, 06:31 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default do you have to ask for 0w-20?

So I was going through the service/warranty manual and actually didn't realize that at 5k miles, Lexus doesn't actually change the oil. It looks like it's now at 10k inervals. I noticed too that the manual is specifically recommending 0w-20 for the oil viscosity. My question, is do you have to specifically ask the dealer to use this oil viscosity or will they automatically know to use this when changing the oil?

Does anybody know if on your service bill, do they write the oil viscosity used?
Old 04-02-12, 07:07 AM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

If your dealer does not know what oil your Lexus takes then you need to find a new dealer.
Old 04-02-12, 07:18 AM
rxsuperman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It sounds like BAM does not trust the dealership to use the correct oil and perhaps even the exact quantity (6.5 quarts) of oil to be used so BAM would like to see something to the effect that 6.5 quarts of genuine Toyota 0W-20 oil was used on his dealer work order/receipt.
Old 04-02-12, 07:27 AM
fr0mastaj
Driver School Candidate

My dealer automatically used the correct oil (part number and viscosity listed on work order) and amount (double checked when i got home, was exactly at the full line).
Old 04-02-12, 07:48 AM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fr0mastaj
My dealer automatically used the correct oil (part number and viscosity listed on work order) and amount (double checked when i got home, was exactly at the full line).
My dealer said they DO change the oil at 5,000; the same oil, NOT the old BREAK IN oil like days of old, but it will have the most contanimants from all parts adjusting to working together and the filter will catch them!!
Old 04-02-12, 08:03 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TomT127
If your dealer does not know what oil your Lexus takes then you need to find a new dealer.
...that's for sure.
Old 04-02-12, 08:08 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rxsuperman
It sounds like BAM does not trust the dealership to use the correct oil and perhaps even the exact quantity (6.5 quarts) of oil to be used so BAM would like to see something to the effect that 6.5 quarts of genuine Toyota 0W-20 oil was used on his dealer work order/receipt.
It's not that I don't trust them. I've always just assumed that they were using the "correct" viscosity for the oil requirements when changing the oil on our old 2002 RX300 seeing that it seemed to require "regular" oil viscosity but seeing that the new RX350/450h require something a little different, I'm just curious as it appears that people are saying that Lexus made this change midway through 2010. Of course, that was about 2 years ago, but you never know and you know what they say about assuming so I'm just asking.

Sometimes, it might be a brand new technician who doesn't know any better and might have messed up and you wouldn't know unless you checked your service bill.

And of course, they'll have multiple oil viscosities at their disposal because they're still servicing many different older vehicles that don't specify the new 0w-20 viscosity.
Old 04-02-12, 08:29 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

The changover from 5K to 10K intervals was two years ago. Lexus sent out a letter with a revised maintenance manual. When I went to the dealer for the 30 day inspection, I saw the information from Lexus to the dealer. They had it out because everyone was asking about it.

bam, I'm sure the dealer includes the oil viscosity on the RO because they list all the parts used. I'll check mine later and let you know unless someone else does first.
Old 04-02-12, 09:22 AM
Art3
Driver School Candidate

I just had my 5,000 mile first service, and, like dctex99, they DID change the oil. Maybe some dealerships didn't get the memo (though it's there plain as day in the warranty/service booklet). No mention of the type or quantity of oil.
Old 04-02-12, 10:44 AM
bam
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Art3
I just had my 5,000 mile first service, and, like dctex99, they DID change the oil. Maybe some dealerships didn't get the memo (though it's there plain as day in the warranty/service booklet). No mention of the type or quantity of oil.
I don't have the manual in front of me right now, but I checked on-line and the 2012 RX450h service manual says to only check and replace fluid levels as needed. Everything else is basically just a visual inspection. It does say to replace the oil and filter only if special conditions are met such as driving on dusty roads, low speed driving, or repeated short trips under 32F.

So I'm not sure about this memo you're referring to but my manual doesn't show a first oil change due until 10k miles and every 10k miles after that.
Old 04-02-12, 11:41 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I always confirm before a service that I am getting a synthetic, its brand, grade (there are some specialized products; like a high mileage Mobile 1 I use in my daughter's ES300) and viscosity.
Old 04-02-12, 12:10 PM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Art3
Was there not a line item showing the type of oil and quarts put in, as that is on the service report even for the free service @ 5K or 10K miles. Mine showed the 0w-20 oil, but also showed 8 quarts in quantity. I asked the service manager about the 8 quarts which is 1.5 quarts too high. He did not know why it was specified as being 8 quarts, but I checked and the oil was above the fill line by ~ 1/2 quart. I believe the service technician put in 7 quarts, and also assume he can not count very well and thus the 8 quarts on the service record.
Old 04-02-12, 01:22 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JimH2
Was there not a line item showing the type of oil and quarts put in, as that is on the service report even for the free service @ 5K or 10K miles. Mine showed the 0w-20 oil, but also showed 8 quarts in quantity. I asked the service manager about the 8 quarts which is 1.5 quarts too high. He did not know why it was specified as being 8 quarts, but I checked and the oil was above the fill line by ~ 1/2 quart. I believe the service technician put in 7 quarts, and also assume he can not count very well and thus the 8 quarts on the service record.
I believe too much oil can be a bad thing as well.
Old 04-02-12, 05:37 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Checked the ROs from the two oil changes I've had done. Both list 7 quarts OW-20.
Old 04-02-12, 05:44 PM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bam
I believe too much oil can be a bad thing as well.
Yes, an overfill can be detrimental if in an extreme quantity. My oil level was ~ 1/2 inch above the full mark. According to the Lexus advisor, that is ~ 1/2 quart above full. He said it would not cause any problems if that is the case. The distance between the minimum and full mark on the dipstick is 0.9 inches which I assume equals a quart; so 1/2 " would be ~ 1/2 quart as the advisor mentioned. In reading various blogs, they mention that a person should really not have anymore than 1 quart of overfill.

I am thinking that some dealers put in 7 quarts which is an overfill when it should only take 6.5 guarts with a new filter.

Quick Reply: do you have to ask for 0w-20?