RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

wood color is different

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-12, 02:55 PM
erickropp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wood color is different

Hi,

I just picked up my RX yesterday and wanted to get some input.

The wood on the steering wheel is much lighter than the rest of the wood throughout the car..almost to the point where it doesn't match and stands out like a sore thumb.

Does anybody else have this situation? Is this normal? Should I ask the dealer to swap out the steering wheel with wood that matches?

When I asked the dealer about this when picking up the car I was told that all the wood comes from the same tree and it might just be a different part of the tree.

Thanks

Eric
Old 03-25-12, 03:27 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that there is a small difference in color between the wheel and other wood. If you focus on it, you will notice. But, if you are just in the car it should not be very noticeable or apparent. If you search the forum, you can find a few other posts where people are talking about a difference. A quality photo would allow us to give you an idea if your car is worst than the typical setup. You could also go down to a Lexus dealer and look at all of the cars on the lot to see how they compare to your car.

"All wood is from the same tree ..." I think they were joking. Maybe all wood is from the same type of tree might be true.
Old 03-25-12, 04:16 PM
erickropp
Driver School Candidate

does this give you some idea? thanks
Attached Thumbnails wood color is different-photo-2.jpg   wood color is different-photo-3.jpg   wood color is different-photo-4.jpg  
Old 03-25-12, 04:18 PM
m1964
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by erickropp
Hi,

The wood on the steering wheel is much lighter than the rest of the wood throughout the car..almost to the point where it doesn't match and stands out like a sore thumb.

Does anybody else have this situation? Is this normal? Should I ask the dealer to swap out the steering wheel with wood that matches?
Same here-got 1 mo. old RX
When I asked the dealer about this when picking up the car I was told that all the wood comes from the same tree and it might just be a different part of the tree.

Thanks
That sound like big BS to me-how does the dealer know what is manufacturing process is for the wood part odf the SW?

I would not ask for replacement because they may screw up something else in the process...

I hope that would be the only problem in the next 5-6 years...

Last edited by m1964; 03-25-12 at 04:22 PM.
Old 03-25-12, 04:30 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Eric,
Welcome to the forum. The dealer is partially right, the wood in the dash, doors, etc shoud be from the same tree. Somewhere online I've seen a movie of the process, it's highly refined. You should be able to find it if you look. However the steering wheel is a port added option and they just screwed up on selecting a match. It can be done, at least closer than yours. Mine is perfect.

If you you just got it, I'd stand flat footed in front of the dealer and if necessary tell him to take the car back if he isn't willing to give you a good match. That much of a difference in color he should be able to get Lexus to foot the bill.

But I wouldn't dally or you'll have to keep it.
Hi,

Thanks

Eric
Old 03-25-12, 04:48 PM
erickropp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Eric,
Welcome to the forum. The dealer is partially right, the wood in the dash, doors, etc shoud be from the same tree. Somewhere online I've seen a movie of the process, it's highly refined. You should be able to find it if you look. However the steering wheel is a port added option and they just screwed up on selecting a match. It can be done, at least closer than yours. Mine is perfect.

If you you just got it, I'd stand flat footed in front of the dealer and if necessary tell him to take the car back if he isn't willing to give you a good match. That much of a difference in color he should be able to get Lexus to foot the bill.

But I wouldn't dally or you'll have to keep it.

Thank you for the detailed information!
Old 03-26-12, 01:58 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

After you posted your pictures, I went out and looked at my car again. When I open the door, the wheel appears to match the other wood (if you look carefully, it may be off a little). It appears much closer in color than your pictures. Good luck in pursuing the issue.

Last edited by UCSB; 03-26-12 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-26-12, 02:04 PM
erickropp
Driver School Candidate

I'm happy to report that I went by the dealer today and they immediately offered to change the steering wheel out since it bothered me..They were very understanding

I did look at other cars on the lot and a few were off but not as drastic as mine.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 03-26-12, 02:27 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Since you started this thread I went and checked my steering WHEELS, I have 2....and Voila the woods on the 350 steering wheel is lighter than the woods on rest of the car. On my 450h it matches everything perfectly well.
Old 01-04-13, 04:47 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Anyone else see this issue recently? Im looking at some used ones and came across a car today that has the lighter steering wheel and shift ****. Odd
Old 01-04-13, 06:38 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cruiter
Eric,
Welcome to the forum. The dealer is partially right, the wood in the dash, doors, etc shoud be from the same tree. Somewhere online I've seen a movie of the process, it's highly refined. You should be able to find it if you look.
you must mean this video:

Old 01-04-13, 07:06 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

That's it, thanks for the find.
Originally Posted by 07LexusGuy
Old 01-04-13, 07:47 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

that does not apply to the RX I believe, only the higher end vehicles. the first words of the video are "on our most premium Lexus vehicles..."
Old 01-05-13, 09:54 AM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

interesting vid but sad that it doesnt apply to the RX. I personally dont get the appeal of the wood wheel, aside from aesthetics, you're gripping laquer that feels like plastic. Ring(s) bang on it, but one upside is that the wheel doesnt get greasy/patina over the years.