RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Bring Lexus to Toyota dealer for services - embarrassing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-12, 10:34 PM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Toyota

I never worry about taking my RX to a Toyota Dealer.

Ever see a Land Cruiser in the dealership? 75K plus. Thats in the LX or LS range. There are basically the same cars with different levels of interior and trim.
Old 03-27-12, 11:21 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

you see the glass half empty, i see it half full.
the other members have already mentioned the advantage of bringing the Lexus to a Toyota service bay.
so there's no debate that it will save you money.

embarrasing? hmmm..
We bring all our Lexus vehicles in the same place where we have our Toyotas serviced.
the surprise look that i get from the other drivers ( Toyotas ) waiting for their highlanders, camry, corollas when the valet person pulls out with my RX 350 - priceless.
Old 04-07-12, 10:34 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toyota dealer = 6 miles away. Lexus dealer about 86 miles away. I am coming up on 5000 miles and a free oil change at Lexus which is at least $25 in gas, maybe $35, 160ish miles on the car, and 4-5 hours of my time.

$25 or $40 or whatever Toyota charges seems like a sweet sweet deal I will let you all know what I do
Old 04-08-12, 02:54 AM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CapeDave
Toyota dealer = 6 miles away. Lexus dealer about 86 miles away. I am coming up on 5000 miles and a free oil change at Lexus which is at least $25 in gas, maybe $35, 160ish miles on the car, and 4-5 hours of my time.

$25 or $40 or whatever Toyota charges seems like a sweet sweet deal I will let you all know what I do
5,000 miles is basically just a tire rotation. The oil change comes at 10,000. So the Toyota dealership is a safe bet on the tire rotation.
Old 04-08-12, 03:40 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You get to see how well they so that and how there service department works with you. I had my 15k2005 done last month at my local Toyota dealer and cost was just under $25.
Old 04-08-12, 07:49 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

this is what i say to anyone i know who drives..
Get to know your car.. Be confident opening her up.
There are a lot of things that are DIYs.
Changing Oil, Oil filters, Air Cabin Filters.. and even the tire rotation.

Now, everytime i ask my service advisor to deduct all those things, since i have performed most of them
i'm somehow telling him indirectly that i know a little something.. and he can't "trick" me in adding services that are not in the owner's manual.

I'm not saying that Lexus nor Toyota does that.. but i have my share from shady mechanics as well.
Old 04-08-12, 04:44 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

This is what I'm gonna be doing once I need to take it in for service. Picking up my RX350 tomorrow. So excited!
Old 04-08-12, 05:53 PM
joenew61
Driver School Candidate

Is there a good reasonably priced service manual that a DIY'er can use to explain how to do these routine items?
Old 04-08-12, 05:57 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Congrats Sevn86. There is a whole section devoted to DIY in the owner's manual. It's the thickest one of the bunch. While not an easy read it's well worth your time. And your first two services are free.
Old 04-09-12, 09:54 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Congrats Sevn86. There is a whole section devoted to DIY in the owner's manual. It's the thickest one of the bunch. While not an easy read it's well worth your time. And your first two services are free.
Thank You!
Old 04-09-12, 12:17 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by joenew61
Is there a good reasonably priced service manual that a DIY'er can use to explain how to do these routine items?
Read the manual and watch some you tube videos
that's how i do it..
Old 04-09-12, 02:39 PM
kwbuggy
Driver

My first oil change was done by a Toyota dealer (Patterson Toyota, Woodstock, NB) because I was on vacation and the nearest Lexus dealer was over 200km away when 8000km rolled up on the odometer. The service people were very friendly and the work was done well. No free car wash or deluxe cookies but they did enter the oil change into the Canadian Lexus database so that both Lexus and my home dealer were aware that it had been done to prevent any warranty issues down the road. This winter while in Florida I dropped into St. Augustine Toyota and was greeted in a very friendly and professional manner. There were two other RXs in their shop that day so it seems that they welcome Lexus owners there too.
Old 04-10-12, 07:55 AM
joenew61
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by markrivers
Read the manual and watch some you tube videos
that's how i do it..
Works for me - thanks. Still under 2k miles, so I have some time, but good to know Lexus has considered the DIY'er in the base manual.
Old 04-10-12, 09:00 PM
YxUxMADDDD
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I take mines for an oil change every 3k. There's other Lexus up there as well. I'm about to do my 60k service there.
Old 04-13-12, 02:44 AM
JuliusvN
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would feel no embarrassment at all; in fact I tried to do just that.

In Northern Ireland Lexus has only one dealer but Toyota has many and, rather like CapeDave, the Lexus dealership is much further away from me.

The Toyota dealer where I have my Prius serviced (bought new from them) is only a few miles away whereas Lexus is in a part of Belfast I have no requirement to be in so, on the two occasions I’ve been across to Lexus since getting the truck last November – one to have the fluids changed on assuming ownership and the other to have the recall work done for the crank pulley, I’ve had to kick around their shop waiting.

I did ask my Toyota dealer if they would do the fluids change for me (I was too busy at the time) but they refused saying that only Lexus could do this – needless to say I’ll be getting my Prius serviced at another dealership from now on.

So, although the standard of customer service was beyond reproach at Lexus (two bottles of wine, truck washed and vacuumed and 25GBP (39USD) worth of free fuel for any inconvenience caused over the recall work, you all are very fortunate across there to have a better choice of servicing venues and more competitive dealers.

Quick Reply: Bring Lexus to Toyota dealer for services - embarrassing?