RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

would you buy Lexus RX if dealer is 100 miles away?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-12, 11:23 PM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is work that you are going to pay for ie oil change or ac filter change then the Toyota dealer will be glad to do the work for you. However, if is work that you want Lexus to pay for then it has to be done by a Lexus dealer.
Old 03-20-12, 07:36 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, I realize this may vary throughout the country, but I just called the Toyota dealership again, pretty big dealer... and they confirmed, sure, they will change oil on your Lexus, but can NOT provide ANY repairs other than maint. items. So its not just about "warranty" repairs that Lexus must pay for, its ANY Lexus repair work, even outside of the warranty period the Toyota dealer will NOT touch. (at least this dealer)

I am sure there is some grey areas, such as changing out a headlight, tune ups, stereo problems, etc. i.e.. if the Toyota dealership sees your repair is something identical to the same on Toyota models, and is not under warranty, sure, they will repair it. Its where the two vehicles differ, this becomes an issue, and most non Lexus certified Toyota dealers will not repair. I wonder how much difference there is between the models....for example does the RX have the same on-board computer as the Toyota Venza?

For those who have Lexus dealers all over, well, this is a non-issue :-)
Old 03-20-12, 09:44 AM
ziggy1
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Quite late in responding to this, but I would definitely do it. My dealer is 70+ miles away (not 100, but still pretty far) and I did it. Local Toyota dealers will work on the car, but every 6 months or so I drive the 70+ miles, listening to my ML and almost enjoying the ride because the car is so pleasant to drive.
Old 03-20-12, 10:17 AM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Some dealers will pick up your car for service and leave you with a loaner.
Old 03-20-12, 10:22 AM
LexusVTS44
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dolphin
I love the RX and want to buy a 13. I am a big Lexus and Toyota fan, as reliability has been superb with my previous models....

But now I live 100 miles from closest Lexus dealership. Would this stop you from buying a Lexus? I would be banking on stellar reliability, as that is ONE long haul for service, as the local Toyota dealer advised me they are NOT allowed to service Lexus....thoughts?
Last week I drove to a customer's house to troubleshoot his navi. system and voice recognition software. His house was 102 miles away, from what my navi. told me. I have only worked for Lexus for a month, and I can tell you right now 100 miles is nothing compared to the excellent service you'll be getting. It is possible that if something is wrong with your vehicle and it can still be driven, a Lexus tech will drive to your house, pick up your vehicle, give you a loaner, and take yours in to get worked on. That's the way it is here.
Old 03-20-12, 10:40 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

You could also find a good local independent shop for your routine maint. and take the car back to the dealer for warranty etc. work.
Old 03-20-12, 11:18 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

There are multiple Lexus dealers near me (I think 17 within 50 miles) but that doesn't mean I go to the closest one. It's 30 miles each way and a whole different world. I do what ziggy1 does, sit back and enjoy the ride, with ML too

Lexus will pick up the car and leave a loaner like LexusVTS44 said. I only took advantage of it once. I don't particularly like having other people drive my RX I also have AAA good for a 100 mile tow. Over the past 14 years there were two times times I required a flatbed. The dealer flatbedded a loaner to me and took mine in for repairs. Didn't pay a dime for anything.
Old 03-20-12, 01:26 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

> It is possible that if something is wrong with your vehicle and it can still be driven, a Lexus tech will drive to your house, pick up your vehicle, give you a loaner, and take yours in to get worked on. That's the way it is here.

Holy Gosh, I am moving near your dealership :-)
Its impressive when a brand goes to this level for customer satisfaction, its surely the way to get repeat business. I feel a lot better about the 100 miles now.... Considering the wide range of pricing Lexus vehicles are, I am surprised more dealerships have not sprouted up, similar to Benz's proliferation.

And the fact JD Powers still has Lexus atop the list of reliability, well, another reason to feel safe.... great input from everyone.... now, when are these 13's coming, I am ready! :-)
Old 03-20-12, 06:25 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cruiter
You can upload those records yourself to the Lexus site online. But that's totally up to you. [/FONT]

How would I do this?
Old 03-20-12, 06:50 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You can add it yourself on the Lexus.com "My Drivers" site https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...ice-history.do
Old 03-20-12, 07:12 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

After you create a login, you can access your files. They'll look like this. You can see where I entered one from the Toyota store myself. If you were able to access this one, you could click inside and see what was done including the R/O number and specifics.
Originally Posted by GRPFAN
How would I do this?
Attached Thumbnails would you buy Lexus RX if dealer is 100 miles away?-capture.jpg  
Old 03-20-12, 08:47 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

> It is possible that if something is wrong with your vehicle and it can still be driven, a Lexus tech will drive to your house, pick up your vehicle, give you a loaner, and take yours in to get worked on. That's the way it is here.

Holy Gosh, I am moving near your dealership :-)
Its impressive when a brand goes to this level for customer satisfaction, its surely the way to get repeat business. I feel a lot better about the 100 miles now.... Considering the wide range of pricing Lexus vehicles are, I am surprised more dealerships have not sprouted up, similar to Benz's proliferation.

And the fact JD Powers still has Lexus atop the list of reliability, well, another reason to feel safe.... great input from everyone.... now, when are these 13's coming, I am ready! :-)
That's exactly why Lexus dealerships have been #1 from JD Powers for the past four years in a row. I'm going on five years now, having an '07 RX and now the '10 RX, and I'm always impressed with how I am treated at my dealership!!
Old 03-21-12, 08:05 AM
mac12
Intermediate

> You just answered your own question.

my question was, "would you buy a Lexus if closest dealer is 100 miles away".....

> They can do the required maintenance/service just not warranty repair..

I can only share what the service manager at Toyota told me... NO SERVICE on Lexus, warranty or NON Warranty.... now granted, I am sure there is some grey areas, such as tires, wiper blades, lamps, etc. If you have a problem with the Lexus computer, they are not certified to touch it. Are you suggesting the service manager was mistaken?
If you do some checking on ownership, I'd bet that your local Toyota dealership and the area(500miles radius) Lexus dealerships are owned by the same group. They don't want Lexus work/services taken away from the Lexus dealership by the more economic Toyota dealers. I've heard of this before.
Old 03-21-12, 09:43 AM
Lilly
Driver School Candidate

The question was, "would you buy Lexus RX if dealer is 100 miles away?" Answer? Yep. I have,,, twice. As for service, I take it over to Sewell in Dallas (110 miles from my house,) for everything. One time, it took overnight, (replaced rear door lift motor via certified pre-owned warranty,) and they told me to take the loaner car home. The next day, they drove here with my car and picked up the loaner, no charge! How do you beat that?
Old 03-22-12, 06:21 AM
Dolphin
Pole Position

> The next day, they drove here with my car and picked up the loaner, no charge! How do you beat that?

Ya don't! Very impressive..... thx for sharing....

Quick Reply: would you buy Lexus RX if dealer is 100 miles away?