RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Dealer Figuring Extra Maintenance over Manual

Old 03-16-12, 07:17 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealer Figuring Extra Maintenance over Manual

Up until the end of 2011 when I still had my 2000 RX 300, every 30,000 included major maintenance according to my manual.

When I sat down with a service tech @ Lexus @ 30,000 miles, they always seem to have their own service schedule that included service not in my manual..................

When I ask why the difference, their reply was because I live in a harsh climate state like Wisconsin, so my manual wasn't written for some special maintenance.
Also, the price quoted for a 30,000 maintenance was nuts over other repair shops.

So I had the dealer break each service down individually.

coolant change/flush
Transmission flush
brake fluid change
differential lube change, etc.

Then I price the same service at specialty shops that do nothing but coolant, transmissions, brakes etc.
By doing the service outside Lexus and going from specialty shop, I saved $$$$$$$$.

Bottom line:
Do Lexus dealerships dream up their own maintenance plans to get more money out of the customer?

BTW, By going outside of Lexus service, they gave me less on a trade-in when I bought my 2012 RX 350.

Your opinions are appreciated.

Cheers!
Old 03-16-12, 09:27 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Hmmm....harsh climate, that's a first for me. I thought it was suppose to be driving conditions, but climate/weather related? Yes, IMO, they're cooking their own recipe.
Old 03-17-12, 05:16 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Extra maintenance

According to the manual if the temps are in the 30's (F) or below and you do a lot of short trips when the engine doesn't warm up fully then you might need 5000 mile oil changes. And the brakes are due to be flushed at 30k also. But the other stuff I'd view with skepticism. If you want to use them instead of Toyota, just show them your maintenance book and do what it says.
Old 03-17-12, 06:01 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by happy1977
Hmmm....harsh climate, that's a first for me. I thought it was suppose to be driving conditions, but climate/weather related? Yes, IMO, they're cooking their own recipe.
Climate and Driving Conditions are important in deciding how much up-keep is needed. I think of them as the same thing, driving conditions consist of the climate you are driving in...
Old 03-17-12, 07:07 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Some services are "Required" and some are "Recommended". The ones required are necessary. the ones recommended are at your descretion.....
Old 03-17-12, 08:28 AM
cafpaf
Pole Position

We have a 2011 RX and a 2008 Cadillac CTS. Both dealerships have their own "recommended" maintenance schedules that differ from the manuals and are priced close to the stratosphere. When I take the cars in for service I stick to the manual. I would think that the manufacturer knows more about what is required than the dealer. FYI, I will be taking the RX to Toyota for regular service. It is less expensive and closer to home.
Old 03-17-12, 10:01 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Severe conditions would be like driving down a 20-mile gravel road twice a day. Climate would be if the temperature is 10 below or 110 in the shade. Your car is designed for a set of typical conditions and outside those typical conditions a different set of service work is recommended/required.

Whether required or recommended, you are the deciding factor in maintaining the look, finish, performance and resale value of your car. Don't do the work, do it yourself, pay Joe your neighbor, pay Toyota or pay Lexus. I imagine Joe, Toyota and Lexus all do it to make money, whatever amount the market will bear.
Old 03-17-12, 12:57 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

I hear what your all saying, but wouldn't it be better to ask the customer what your driving conditions are either then assume your driving is under severe conditions that requires a higher cost on maintenance.

That's just like so many auto manufactures advertise using the original parts, then the dealerships come along and work you over in cost when you dedicate your service to a original dealer.

Last edited by GRPFAN; 03-17-12 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-17-12, 03:51 PM
bam
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GRPFAN
Up until the end of 2011 when I still had my 2000 RX 300, every 30,000 included major maintenance according to my manual.

When I sat down with a service tech @ Lexus @ 30,000 miles, they always seem to have their own service schedule that included service not in my manual..................

When I ask why the difference, their reply was because I live in a harsh climate state like Wisconsin, so my manual wasn't written for some special maintenance.
Also, the price quoted for a 30,000 maintenance was nuts over other repair shops.

So I had the dealer break each service down individually.

coolant change/flush
Transmission flush
brake fluid change
differential lube change, etc.

Then I price the same service at specialty shops that do nothing but coolant, transmissions, brakes etc.
By doing the service outside Lexus and going from specialty shop, I saved $$$$$$$$.

Bottom line:
Do Lexus dealerships dream up their own maintenance plans to get more money out of the customer?

BTW, By going outside of Lexus service, they gave me less on a trade-in when I bought my 2012 RX 350.

Your opinions are appreciated.

Cheers!
Living in your area certainly does have a colder winter than other parts of the country and that won't necessarily require you does extra maintenance assuming you use the recommended fluids from the factory and assuming you don't take repeated short trips where your tranny and engine don't have a chance to properly warm up.

Keep in mind that the SA makes a living off of a cut of the repair bill so it is in their interest to have more service done. Ultimately, I would just stick with the manual because if there is a warranty claim, you'll be held accountable to the requirements as set forth in the manual and not by what the dealer has set as the "requirement."

From what I remember, the only "harsh" driving condition that I recall reading about (don't have the manual in front of me) is driving in dusty conditions or towing. I can't even recall if there was any mention about repeated short trips but I don't believe so.

Stick with the manual. Ultimately, you're paying for the service so you're the boss. If the dealer wants to pick up the tab, then that's a different matter.
Old 03-17-12, 05:47 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by hypervish
Climate and Driving Conditions are important in deciding how much up-keep is needed. I think of them as the same thing, driving conditions consist of the climate you are driving in...
They're not the same thing as DunWkg explained. And like most things in this world, business is business and they need income, hence all these extra things that you don't really need. Don't tell my our '02 corolla and my friend's '03 camry (180,000mi and 260,000mi and counting respectively) will have problems if these services weren't provided. Both have hardly any major problems without following those maintenance by the book. I do have them done but not @ 30,000mi. If that's the case, hell, the RX is more delicate than the corolla and camry in Indiana weather.
Old 03-17-12, 07:29 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Many dealership service organizations now offer enhanced service schedules. My most recent brush with this concept was helping my daughter investigate the costs of a 60,000 mile service on a 2010 Prius she was buying from my brother. When she called our local Toyota dealership, they gave her three different options. A basic plan at $219, an enhanced plan at something like $367 and a total plan at $622. The basic plan was the service in the manual. The middle plan included items like replacing the transmission fluid in the CVT transmission. The highend plan included more items and I don't have the notes in front of me. But, the items seemed reasonable. I think there was definitely some good value in the middle plan and some good items in highend plan if you were going to keep your car for a while. In the end, my brother decided to take the car to his own shop and have all the work done for much less so she would get the car in good shape. I don't think that all enhanced service options are a rip off. My daughter will definitely get some peace of mind and a list of service areas that she won't have to worry about for a relatively small amount of money. The problems occur when dealerships are not being up front about what they are doing and when they pile on service that is probably not required.

Last edited by UCSB; 03-17-12 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-18-12, 09:36 AM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

I remember back in 2000, both my sister and I bought new RX 300.

I change my own oil/filter etc. and she took hers back to Lexus until she got smart.

Each visit was costing her anywhere between $300 and $500 for a oil change etc.

On the first visit she called me up and wanted to know how long windshield wipers lasted.
Lexus replaced her wipers @ 6,000 miles.....................
Old 03-18-12, 12:47 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

It's interesting what constitutes "severe service" in regards to maintenance schedules. On another forum, (Honda I think) there were a few posts of trannies going out, but were not covered under warranty as the owners did not have the 30k mile tranny flush under the severe service interval. Seems most of the country is considered severe driving conditions with regards to maintenance recommendations for many dealers/ manufacturers. Thought I'd just throw that out there for consideration .
Old 03-18-12, 02:40 PM
dctex99
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Harsh conditions" is DEFINITELY a factor; I grew up in godawful Montana and -30 is NOT good for engines!! Of course that was before synthetic oil also; but I have friends back there that still use cheapy 10W30.......HARSH also means Las Vegas, where loaded taxis and limos run around in 112 degree heat in the summer and leave them idling for HOURS at taxi stands so the A/C will have it cold inside...they also doo MUCH more maintenance and Synthetic everything!!! I have checked!! Just my experiences!
Old 03-20-12, 12:12 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Urban Dictionary: stealership--Business entity where one can purchase vehicles or have vehicle maintenance and repairs performed at exorbitant prices