RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Big problem adding gas additive to 2011 rx 350

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-12, 03:59 PM
WALLEYEGUY
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big problem adding gas additive to 2011 rx 350

Oh, my gosh.

I found a big puddle of something on blacktop below gas filler cap.
I put an additive to clean fuel system ala advice from long time car buff who worked with mobile oil for 3o yrs.
I must have poured all of it into overflow.

How does one put any gas treatment into tank?

I'm sure many of you will say "why are you doing it in first place"?
I am just following advice of a real informed car enthusiast( even tho he drives a volvo.

Does gas pump nozzle need to be in to open something up?

Walleye guy

2011 lexus rx350,premium pkg,tow prep pkg,wood steer wheel cross bars cargo net,and mat, back-up camera,19" wheels , park assist, heat vent front seats, accy pkg.
Old 02-21-12, 04:22 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Lexus say's "Do NOT Put Additives" into your tank. If I sound harsh, it's because I hope you pay attention. This is a case where you should really take the time to read your manual rather than follow the advice of a Volvo owner. That doesn't qualify him to counsel you with your Lexus.

If you don't have a full tank, fill it up before driving more than the miles to the nearest station to dilute what ever you added. It's the best thing you can do.
Originally Posted by WALLEYEGUY
Oh, my gosh.

I found a big puddle of something on blacktop below gas filler cap.
I put an additive to clean fuel system ala advice from long time car buff who worked with mobile oil for 3o yrs.
I must have poured all of it into overflow.

How does one put any gas treatment into tank?

I'm sure many of you will say "why are you doing it in first place"?
I am just following advice of a real informed car enthusiast( even tho he drives a volvo.

Does gas pump nozzle need to be in to open something up?

Walleye guy

2011 lexus rx350,premium pkg,tow prep pkg,wood steer wheel cross bars cargo net,and mat, back-up camera,19" wheels , park assist, heat vent front seats, accy pkg.

Last edited by Cruiter; 02-21-12 at 04:24 PM. Reason: edit
Old 02-21-12, 05:47 PM
rxsuperman
Driver

Both gasoline detergent and regular oil changes will keep your RX engine running clean for many many years...
Old 02-21-12, 06:17 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i agree with RXsuperman here. the additives on the gasoline will do its job.
What you can do is to change the type of gasoline you put in every.. say 3,000 miles..
Ex.. Shell 0-3000, then Chevron 3,001-6000 miles etc.

Each oil company have it's own additive and it's a good practice to use variation.
Old 02-22-12, 06:19 PM
sightdev
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

"Do NOT Put Additives" I think this recommendation is for engine. fuel additives are use all the time by dealer and repair shops. Lexus dealer even sells 44K and Its require maintenance on DI engines to reduce carbon build up.

I have aways used fuel additives like Techron as long as i can remember on each oil change interval [10k] and never had issues.
Old 02-25-12, 04:01 AM
jskennedy
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you want to use fuel additives, find a brand with a long neck bottle that be pushed down far enough to open the fuel filer flap

just do it quick & you should have no spills
Old 02-25-12, 04:37 AM
WALLEYEGUY
Driver School Candidate

Thank you everyone for your advice....majority concensus, no additives. That is what i.................................wont do again.
Wg
Old 02-26-12, 05:59 AM
2011RX350
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jskennedy
if you want to use fuel additives, find a brand with a long neck bottle that be pushed down far enough to open the fuel filer flap
just do it quick & you should have no spills
He is right. If you don't the additive bottle in far enough to push the flap open, a spill on the floor is exactly what you get. Most of the better gasolines have additives, like Chevron with its "Techron"
Old 02-26-12, 06:05 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers
i agree with RXsuperman here. the additives on the gasoline will do its job.
What you can do is to change the type of gasoline you put in every.. say 3,000 miles..
Ex.. Shell 0-3000, then Chevron 3,001-6000 miles etc.

Each oil company have it's own additive and it's a good practice to use variation.
You can certainly do this but it is completely unnecessary. Any branded gasoline is fine and will do it's job and keep your engine clean. Additives advertised as some sort of miracle are advertising hype. Varying brands of gasoline won't change things one way or the other.
Old 02-27-12, 09:04 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

^ just to give some literature on the matter of changing gasoline brands to clean the engine.

if you don't want to read the whole thing, proceed to the Part 2 Questions answered.

http://www.vettenet.org/octane.html
Old 02-28-12, 08:47 PM
RandomTech
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whoa.

If you don't use additives in this engine, you will get fouling of the intake valves just like on the IS250. Not using additives is the WORST thing you can do to this engine. With it's direct injection system, the only thing cleaning the valves would be the additive. In addition, a smoother running engine will make the two v-belts and timing belt last a lot longer due to reduced vibration. You'll get better brakes as well because the hydraulic brake booster uses engine power to run, and a smoother engine means better, more consistent boosting.

Also, if you live in a colder climate, it can't hurt to put gas additive in the washer fluid as well (only a little bit of the bottle). It'll prevent the lines from freezing from the pump to the nozzles.

Techron really is amazing stuff.
Old 02-28-12, 08:54 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the washer fluid here in Canada is rated at at least -35Celcuis so that is not an issue really.
Old 03-02-12, 11:05 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Thought I'd toss this in. Today I filled up at COSTCO and they've added this on top of the pumps due to comments they had 2nd rate gas. I talked to the guy managing the gas purchases from the fuel farm. He said "the gas arriving from the farm is the same as to any station in the metro area. But they may be billed from BP, Shell, or Mobil. And regardless of who it is, they add the additional additives shown and stand behind it. I've used them for years and never had a problem.
Attached Thumbnails Big problem adding gas additive to 2011  rx 350-2012-03-02-10-48-32.jpg  

Last edited by Cruiter; 03-02-12 at 12:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-02-12, 12:19 PM
cafpaf
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am a senior fellow and I have said this before. My old Italian Grandfather was fond of saying, "Pasta is pasta." what he meant was not matter the form it took, it was still pasta. I know that many of you will disagree, and that is OK, but in todays market my view is, "Gas is gas." I have personally seen different brands of trucks fill up at the same fuel dump over the years and consequently I have used whatever gas was available and what was least expensive. I have used Costco and Sam's Club gas for several years now and never a problem. Having said that, each of us should use the gas with which he/she is most comfortable.
Old 03-02-12, 07:59 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

So if using these clean gasoline and routine oil change, is it still recommended to have fuel induction service?

Quick Reply: Big problem adding gas additive to 2011 rx 350