RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Why no dual exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-12, 10:41 AM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Why no dual exhaust?

This was touched on in another thread and not wanting to hijack that thread I thought I would start a new one. Why doesn't Toyota/Lexus offer dual exhaust? I realize performance is not an issue these days with dual exhaust but I definitely believe it gives a vehicle a sportier look. Every Infinity vehicle I have seen has duals and even quite a few Nissan vehicles have them but I never see them on Toyota or Lexus vehicles. Just believe my RX 350 would look better with duals. Just my opinion but would like to hear others.
Old 02-21-12, 11:38 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TomT127
This was touched on in another thread and not wanting to hijack that thread I thought I would start a new one. Why doesn't Toyota/Lexus offer dual exhaust? I realize performance is not an issue these days with dual exhaust but I definitely believe it gives a vehicle a sportier look. Every Infinity vehicle I have seen has duals and even quite a few Nissan vehicles have them but I never see them on Toyota or Lexus vehicles. Just believe my RX 350 would look better with duals. Just my opinion but would like to hear others.
cause it will be new design and more cost on top of them.
Old 02-21-12, 12:09 PM
Cruiter
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Does it look sportier ??? Yep!!!

Does it cost more down the road if you have to replace anything due to corrosion ??? Priceless !!!

They don't offer it on the RX, and never have, so hopefully the visual one pipe VS two isn't a deal breaker .
Old 02-21-12, 12:19 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts

I want the Dual Exhaust!!!!!!

Toyota Venza has it......
Old 02-21-12, 12:53 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

It would give a sportier look to the RX. Most of the competition has them (MDX, Q5, GLK, X3, X5, MKX etc.) but Lexus does do a good job of making the single outlet not stand out.
Old 02-21-12, 01:53 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

I also mention this on the other thread, I do hope that if they do have 2 exhaust, I hope that it only comes with one catalytic converter as that thing is NOT cheap to replace.
Old 02-21-12, 01:54 PM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

There's always aftermarket
Old 02-21-12, 02:00 PM
rxsuperman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cost savings.....this means Lexus will have to double the number of tail pipes, mufflers and resonators for the number of RXs they produce assuming the split is after the catalytic converter. If most buyers don't mind paying a higher price to cover the cost, I am sure Lexus would be happy to put in dual exhaust along with shiny chrome exhaust tips.
Old 02-21-12, 05:14 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.lexus.com/contact/
Old 02-21-12, 07:53 PM
RyanDe680
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought dual was rumored on the 2013 F sport edition?
Old 02-21-12, 09:58 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dual exhaust is just not a feature that most RX buyers are going to value. It is an easy way for Lexus to save some money to enhance things that people are going to notice. The RX is not a vehicle that would attract buyers interested in performance. The RX is very common in my neighborhood and most are driven by housewives (I can not remember seeing another male driving one of these). Should Lexus reduce content in the current car to add dual exhaust? I wouldn't want to see that happen. Should they charge more for the vehicle? It already seems expensive for the role of their entry level SUV and I have to believe that most people do not want to pay more. In my case, I would rather Lexus put the money into enhancing my battery pack ... so I can get better gas mileage. Better yet, build a plug-in version of the car. I would support dual exhaust if it was only adding say $200 to the cost of the car and could pay even more if it produced a mileage improvement. I definite wouldn't want it if it reduced my mileage.

The good thing about dual exhaust is that you can just add it to your vehicle if you want it. I also own a Subaru Outback (which I use for fun activities/sports/travel etc.) and it comes in single and dual exhaust models. I have never noticed or paid any attention to the difference. That is because for a dual exhaust system to make your car look truly sporty it has be added/finished in such a way as to be a design statement.

I think the paradigm is shifting, on my 450h you can hardly find the exhaust. The car is very quiet. I think that is the future.

Last edited by UCSB; 02-21-12 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-21-12, 11:57 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Lexus and Toyota offer dual exhaust.
the RX 350/450h doesn't have it since it's not marketed as a "sport" vehicle.

Old 02-22-12, 06:14 AM
TomT127
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by markrivers
Lexus and Toyota offer dual exhaust.
the RX 350/450h doesn't have it since it's not marketed as a "sport" vehicle.
Maybe not the 450 because it is bigger and boxier but the 350 I believe is equivalent to the FX, MDX and many more models that have duals so I don't see that reasoning.
Old 02-22-12, 07:54 AM
JimH2
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I assume no duel exhaust due to cost to manufacture and no appreciable difference in HP ratings. If one really wanted that look, they could do what was done with the 94' Lincoln Mark VIII (which I had). They split the single exhaust pipe right before the rear bumper, and created two final exhaust pipes for the "duel exhaust look".
Old 02-22-12, 08:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

It's probably a cost/styling decision made my Lexus. Even though nearly all of the competion has them it obviously hasn't hurt sales for the RX one bit. I'd prefer dual outlets, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Quick Reply: Why no dual exhaust?