RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

10K Service Done & Oil Leak Repaired

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-12, 05:01 PM
Barrington
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10K Service Done & Oil Leak Repaired

Dropped off the 2011 RX350 today to get the free 10K service performed. I mentioned to the adviser that I notice a small oil leak near the oil pan area. They furnish me with a loaner (2012 Mazda CX9) and off I go. 5 hours later they called and said it is all completed and yes the oil pan was leaking. They removed the engine oil pan and resealed it. Hopefully no more leak. I was getting prepared to hear that they could not verify the issue but that did not happen. They washed the car and all is well, I hope................
Old 02-14-12, 05:52 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Barrington
Dropped off the 2011 RX350 today to get the free 10K service performed. I mentioned to the adviser that I notice a small oil leak near the oil pan area. They furnish me with a loaner (2012 Mazda CX9) and off I go. 5 hours later they called and said it is all completed and yes the oil pan was leaking. They removed the engine oil pan and resealed it. Hopefully no more leak. I was getting prepared to hear that they could not verify the issue but that did not happen. They washed the car and all is well, I hope................
Mazda for a loaner?
this is the first time i heard of Lexus using a non Lexus as a loaner, either that or i'm just lucky.
But seriously, even with our Toyota, we get the same car that you bring in.
I remember bringing our 2009 Toyota Camry SE for repair with the water pump.
WE were provided with the same type and class.. a Camry SE.

i've noticed that this happened in Cali, where we live now..
which dealer did you go to?

regarding your main concern, it's a good thing that everything was Fixed.
Old 02-14-12, 06:10 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Barrington, I haven't heard of an oil leak before. Anyway I'm glad the dealer took care of it. My dealer runs out of loaners sometimes and has to use Enterprise. Maybe they should have thrown in a free oil change for having to drive a non-Lexus loaner Good luck with the repair.
Old 02-14-12, 06:54 PM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kitlz
My dealer runs out of loaners sometimes and has to use Enterprise. Maybe they should have thrown in a free oil change for having to drive a non-Lexus loaner

Hey, if my Lexus dealer has one of these around for a loaner, I wouldn't argue...............

New for 2013.
Corvette 427 Convertible and its top speed is rated at a hairdo-destroying 190 mph........YES!

1/2 hour behind the wheel of this bad boy, and I'd either be dead or in jail.........

Old 02-14-12, 07:37 PM
Barrington
Rookie

They usually give an RX for a loaner but maybe they were all out. The CX9 was through the Enterprise desk inside the dealership. They were very nice about the entire transaction, Lexus of Roseville covers the gas, use it for 2days even if my car was ready today, just stay in the state. The Mazda really was pretty nice for the few hours that I used it, drove great, comfortable although I noticed that I kept having to duck my head more while getting in to clear the top of the door opening, good power. There was more hard type plastic in the car. Hey, the price was right!
Old 02-15-12, 12:36 PM
rxsuperman
Driver

I am very surprised Lexus quality resulted in oil pan leak at 10k miles.
Old 02-15-12, 01:39 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rxsuperman
I am very surprised Lexus quality resulted in oil pan leak at 10k miles.
it's probably an isolated case.
as we don't see any other reports or complaints about said issue
Old 02-19-12, 08:06 AM
gwenie123
Driver School Candidate

I hit a pothole last night. There's a slit in the oil pan and the exhaust hose is almost completely crushed. I'm thinking the dealership is going to charge me an arm and a leg to repair the oil pan. Instead of sealing it, i'm sure they're going to want to replace the whole thing. My brother said I should just by the sealer myself and repair it. Advice?
Old 02-19-12, 08:48 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would assume that it is an aluminum cover so you could take it and have it Heli-arced(welded patch) to seal it but I certainly wouldnt use any sealer or silicon. What would happen if you were on the highway and the patch failed and the oil leaked out? Then you would have potential engine damage which would be much more expensive.You put a hole in it once, you could certainly pull off a homemade patch.

The exhaust a good muffler shop should be able to replace or repair the broken part of the exhaust.

There is also ebay or aftermarket/ wrecker for an oil pan cover.
Old 02-19-12, 09:33 AM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gwenie123
... Advice?
I'd file an insurance claim and get it done right at the dealer or a body shop you trust.
Old 02-19-12, 10:09 AM
Barrington
Rookie

The oil pan is in sections and the lower portion is not that big of a deal. The work order for repairing the leaking oil pan showed 1.6/HR labor + sealer and brake cleaner. Even if the dealer charged you 2 hours labor + the price of the lower pan it would'nt be that big of a deal. Go to the dealer.............
Old 02-19-12, 10:13 AM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mklemovitc
I'd file an insurance claim and get it done right at the dealer or a body shop you trust.
Yup, one word: I-N-S-U-R-A-N-C-E, that's what it's for.
Old 02-19-12, 11:51 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Like others said, go to the shop, get it done right. Will be cheaper in the long run. And like others said, use your insurance company. Unless it's cheaper to fix than your deductible, go for it. And where was the hole, does the city or county hold some liability if it's large enough and has been neglected long enough.
Old 02-19-12, 12:31 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GRPFAN
Yup, one word: I-N-S-U-R-A-N-C-E, that's what it's for.
i would get an estimate first, see if it would save you more to go with your insurance or just pay it yourself. consider your deductible and the long term effect of the claim.

My take with insurance companies is this,
unless it's over $5,000, i wouldn't file a claim.
A claim is a claim and they CAN and WILL raise your premium for 3 years whether the claim is for $1,000 or $10,000.
Old 02-19-12, 12:39 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Let's not forget that if you do a repair yourself and you have any warranty problems, Lexus will probably refuse to repair it. Just do it right, not worth the hassle.

Quick Reply: 10K Service Done & Oil Leak Repaired