RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rear Seat Rattle/Clanging

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-12, 02:25 PM
Quatro40
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You are right Alpy I have driven a hybrid version and it is silent as space, while mine rattles like crazy in the back, on the side and also whines when pulling from a dead stop.
Old 08-06-12, 01:43 AM
Alpy64
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only rattle I can hear is the rear suspension when passing over a speed bump (very common in France when approaching residential areas and some are really designed to force you run like a pedestrian). So when running on such speed bumps, the rear suspensions are producing a light creaking which to me is linked with the hydraulic mechanism (maybe not enough grease due to frequent washings with the high pressure.
Neverthless, when the car dealer came to pick me up at the airport when I left the car for a car service, I asked him whether this was ok or not after running on a similar speed bump and he said that it was like this with other cars.

Frankly speaking, it's really a creaking at this time only. At this speed, the car does not produce any noise (complete silence) so any noise can be heard!
Old 08-08-12, 09:45 PM
SAPNY
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my passenger door in 2010 rx rattles
Old 08-09-12, 11:02 AM
Quatro40
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SAPNY
my passenger door in 2010 rx rattles
Make a fist and hit the the edges of the door all around pum pum pum pum sometimes the clips come off or they may have remove the door panel at one point and they didn't fitted it back in place.
Old 09-30-12, 02:48 PM
ctoddg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ght200
I have a 2010 Lexus RX 350 with 27K on the odometer. Since around the 15K mile mark I've been dealing with rear seat rattles, and that's a nice way of putting it. When I drive over the wonderfully pocked marked roads of Los Angeles, the rear seats vibrate, rattle and clang as if they are coming apart. I replicated the noise for the service guys at my local dealer (Jim Falk Lexus). To their credit they replaced the track locating pins on the rear seats.

Unfortunately, that made things worse. The car rattles and clangs more than before. It has gotten so bad that I am considering selling a car which I bought outright just 2 years ago. Has anyone had a similar experience?

By the way, I have already ruled out common sources of rattle complaints like the trunk cover.

Your suggestions are appreciated.
i have a 2011 RX350. I had a rattle coming from the drivers side seat belt assembly, or so it seemed. they replaced both driver's side and passenger's side. The sound is still there and actually worse than previously. It has been in the Dealer 5 times since January 2012. The service advisor hears the sound and contacted the field service engineer. The answer i got back was, "the sound is within the vehicle's specifications. It's actually coming from the windows when they are all the way up. I should back the window off ever so slightly." I cannot believe the answer i got. I contact Lexus customer care and they were useless. I have now proceed with step 2 which is the dispute resolution through an arbitrator. It's listed in the Lemon Law Guide that was included with your car. I am not willing to accept their response and will go to court if I have to. A premium brand should not have rattles. I have a friend with a $20K Hyundai that has a totally silent interior cabin.
Old 10-01-12, 07:08 AM
User 41924
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ctoddg
The answer i got back was, "the sound is within the vehicle's specifications. It's actually coming from the windows when they are all the way up. I should back the window off ever so slightly."
If the windows aren't supposed to go up all the way, they need to fix them so the don't. If they ARE supposed to go up all the way, they shouldn't make any noise.

You got the standard dealership response when they don't want to take the time to put an honest effort into fixing something. I got it when I complained that the seat warmers in our '10 RX wouldn't heat up. Ask the Service Manager (and General Manager, if necessary) which persistant and reproducable annoying rattles are expected in a "premium brand" that is SUPPOSED to be known for it's quiet cabin. They put sound insulation in the WINDOWS for cryin' out loud!

Ridiculous.

Last edited by User 41924; 10-01-12 at 07:14 AM.
Old 10-01-12, 06:34 PM
ght200
Driver School Candidate

As the original poster to this thread, I thought I would provide an update. I brought my RX back to the dealer two more times to address this issue.

To show how bad it is, I've gone out with a dealer rep and driven through the streets around the dealership so that he can hear, first hand, the disaster that is my RX.

The dealer rep's and the service department's response? It's akin to: "Yeah, your car rattled when we were driving down Wilshire Boulevard, but that street is REALLY BAD. When we were driving through Beverly Hills, nothing rattled."

Sorry, I thought I purchased a Luxury SUV which could handle a few cracks in the road. For your reference, the dealer in this case is Jim Falk Lexus of Beverly Hills. The REALLY BAD roads on Wilshire Boulevard are about a quarter mile from the dealership.
Old 10-01-12, 06:37 PM
ght200
Driver School Candidate

Oh, and CTODDG, I've experienced the same issue as you with respect to the window rattle. I discovered on my own that the rattle goes away when you roll the window down. That is a perfectly legitimate solution to a problem exhibited by a luxury car, and should not be an issue at all during heat waves or inclement weather, as we all live in fantasyland.
Old 10-01-12, 07:34 PM
cossie1600
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yikes, I sold my Nissan hoping for better service at Lexus, hopefully I didn't make a $40K mistake
The following users liked this post:
JATS (11-08-19)
Old 07-11-13, 04:32 PM
bob0121us
Driver School Candidate

Default 2010 RX 350 Back Seats Rattle

Originally Posted by ght200
I have a 2010 Lexus RX 350 with 27K on the odometer. Since around the 15K mile mark I've been dealing with rear seat rattles, and that's a nice way of putting it. When I drive over the wonderfully pocked marked roads of Los Angeles, the rear seats vibrate, rattle and clang as if they are coming apart. I replicated the noise for the service guys at my local dealer (Jim Falk Lexus). To their credit they replaced the track locating pins on the rear seats.

Unfortunately, that made things worse. The car rattles and clangs more than before. It has gotten so bad that I am considering selling a car which I bought outright just 2 years ago. Has anyone had a similar experience?

By the way, I have already ruled out common sources of rattle complaints like the trunk cover.

Your suggestions are appreciated.
I just bought a Certified 2010 RX350, with 20K miles, and the noise coming from the back seat area was really annoying. I found after I raised the headrest on the middle seat, so it didn't touch the other seats, the noise was much better and almost gone. I can't believe for the amount I paid for this car that the back seats would rattle so much.

The salesman said I wasn't used to an SUV and they make more noises than a car. The steering column was also broken and had to be replaced two weeks after I purchased it. So much for the certification process. And, I had a mechanic check out the vehicle before purchasing it as well.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-24-13, 06:13 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ctoddg
i have the same problem with my 2011 RX350. The moulding around the drivers side window was rattling terribly. they fixed it after 3 attempts and noticed a rattle in the seat belt housing. They claim to have fixed but it's worse that ever.
Same here with my 2011 RX350. Driver side window moulding rattles, but not terribly.
Kinda annoying. That's my third rattling noise in my RX.
Old 09-24-13, 11:08 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckGS350
Same here with my 2011 RX350. Driver side window moulding rattles, but not terribly.
Kinda annoying. That's my third rattling noise in my RX.
If you are not completely sure it is the molding, I would suggest another part on the door that can cause a similar rattle. There is a little black bumper on the plastic part of the door that is used when the door is closed as a bumper for the closed door. It is only about a half inch or less around. This piece can be screwed out and you can lubricate the back side of the bumper that touches the plastic. It only takes a second to try this fix. I recommend it if you have any rattle, especially intermittent rattles, in the door.
Old 09-25-13, 12:43 AM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are still under warranty, perhaps you can have the dealer fix it? I've had a rattle in the rear passenger side seat for a while and the dealer had isolated the problem to something in the rails they slide on. When the seat is positioned all the way to the front, the noise is gone. They had asked the factory for a solution and they recommended a heavier grease but that did not work and in the end, they replaced the entire seat, all under warranty. The noise is completely gone but now a new one developed, but it's not too loud and not always there. I haven't had the time to locate it yet but I figured it was from taking things apart to remove and replace the seat.

Originally Posted by bob0121us
I just bought a Certified 2010 RX350, with 20K miles, and the noise coming from the back seat area was really annoying. I found after I raised the headrest on the middle seat, so it didn't touch the other seats, the noise was much better and almost gone. I can't believe for the amount I paid for this car that the back seats would rattle so much.

The salesman said I wasn't used to an SUV and they make more noises than a car. The steering column was also broken and had to be replaced two weeks after I purchased it. So much for the certification process. And, I had a mechanic check out the vehicle before purchasing it as well.

I hope this helps.
Old 10-05-13, 05:05 PM
chuckGS350
Intermediate

[QUOTE=..... When the seat is positioned all the way to the front, the noise is gone. ....[/QUOTE]

Seems that way. I moved the right rear seat to near the front, the noise is gone.
Just I leave it that way. When looking underneath the seat, I noticed there is a metal bar and it's getting rusty. Shoudn't it be primed with a paint coat to prevent from rusting?
Same thing with my in-law 2012 RX350.
I have 2011RX350.