RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

About to buy a 2009 RX - a few questions..

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-12, 04:31 AM
ScottosAU
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to buy a 2009 RX - a few questions..

Hi, I've narrowed down my choice of RX350 between a Graphite/with black interior, and a Silver car with light grey interior. I was wondering if anyone has had an a tough time keeping the lighter coloured interiors clean? (or the black for that matter) I must admit I was shocked at how grimey and dirty the vehicle with the light grey interior looked.

Also, the car with the grey interior seemed to have a number of scuffs and scratches throughout - the steering wheel, doors, drink holder pockets etc, is the Lexus interior prone to scratching fairly easily? Or is more the case that this car has been treated roughly?

Lastly, one of the RX's I drove had a squeaking noise up near my head on the drivers door. I couldn't figure out if it was the seatbelt or something else - has anybody experienced squeaks and rattles on their cars?

I just have some pre-sales nerves and want to clear up a few things.

Thanks,

Scott.
Old 01-14-12, 06:10 AM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have light gray interior on my 2006 RX400h and it's in near perfect condition -- dealer could not find a single flaw when assessed for trade-in a couple months ago. I've also had parchment (tan) and ecru (off-white) on previous Lexus ... all looked perfect at sale or trade-in after many years of service. I vacuum and do simple damp cloth wipe downs of the interior each time I wash, keep a canine cover on the back seat where my Golden Retriever rides these days, and use leather cleaner/conditioner every few months. You'll find a number of current posts with info how to take care of interior leather, product recommendations, and such here -- just do a simple search. I don't believe Lexus are any more prone to problems on their interior than any other manufacturer -- the RX you are looking at sounds like it has not had a lot of love by it's current owner.

Some cars have had squeaks or rattles, as do any from any manufacturer -- My RX400h had one with the glove compartment that was taken care of by the dealer during warranty and has been great for the past 6 years. I had zero issues in my original RX300. I don't believe there are pervasive issues in the RX, but will let others weigh in as appropriate.

Welcome to the forum. I hope things work out with your (new) RX!

Last edited by BertL; 01-14-12 at 06:15 AM. Reason: Paragraphs for easier reading
Old 01-14-12, 07:20 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like the grey one was abused, I would stay away from that one. If they were abusive to the interior then that is probably how they treated the whole car. I am surprised the dealer is showing it like that, or is it a private sale, still.

Good Luck.
Old 01-14-12, 11:35 AM
mac12
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know your situation, but you would be getting a much better vechicle if you could find a 2010 somewhere. You would not regret it. Just saying......
Old 01-14-12, 01:45 PM
happy1977
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

^Ditto on getting a 2010 or above.
Old 01-14-12, 03:09 PM
ScottosAU
Driver School Candidate

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. I agree about the Silver/light grey car - it does seem that it has been abused.

Can you someone please explain why the 2010 model is better? The only addition I was aware of on the 2010 was the active braking in the Pre Crash sense system.
Old 01-14-12, 03:16 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I have to ask, is 2009 the first model year of the 3rd gen RX in Australia?
Old 01-14-12, 03:25 PM
ScottosAU
Driver School Candidate

Hi, yes it is. In our used car listing there is both the GSU35R and the GGL15R listed for 2009.

Funnily enough, we never got the original RX series here, so the 2004 - 2009 models are our first generation and the 2009 to present is our second gen.

Originally Posted by kitlz
I have to ask, is 2009 the first model year of the 3rd gen RX in Australia?
Old 01-14-12, 03:42 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Yes, the 2nd gen in the US was a 2004 model year and 2003 in Australia. We have a few members in Australia over in the 2nd gen forum with them.

Regarding the interior, seeing a used RX is probably the best way to determine what color might work best for you. I would have liked the gray interior but after taking a test drive in a 450h with the parchment interior with a nice scuff mark on the dash, I chose black. I also had to think about winter weather. I haven't had a problem with staining, probably because I clean the interior at least once a month. Scratches unfortunately are inevitable on the door sills and the console like you mentioned. Your best bet is to find an RX with less abuse. Good luck.
Old 01-14-12, 04:14 PM
ScottosAU
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Anita, I appreciate your thoughts. Can anyone share why the 2010 model would be a better choice?

I have a dealer phoning back with an offer on a Graphite 2009 Sport Luxury within the hour!
Old 01-14-12, 04:57 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like there would be no big difference. I think everyone justed wanted you to get the 3rd gen model over the 2nd(USA). Or whatever gen you are calling it there. Just so it's the latest model, lots of changes between the generations

Good Luck.
Old 01-14-12, 05:19 PM
ScottosAU
Driver School Candidate

Ah good point thanks - people thought I was buying the second gen car.

The vehicle Im looking at is definitely the latest generation, top of the line model available.
Old 01-15-12, 10:22 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the rear wiper is under the valence it is the same as our 3rd gens here in North America. There is also the little window in front of the front windows by the mirror. If your 2009 has these then you have the same thing.
Old 01-16-12, 04:17 AM
sweetboy02
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottosAU
Ah good point thanks - people thought I was buying the second gen car.

The vehicle Im looking at is definitely the latest generation, top of the line model available.
and be ready to be called "soccer mom" car like i have been told .
Old 01-16-12, 04:47 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by sweetboy02
and be ready to be called "soccer mom" car like i have been told .
How many times do I have to say I'm not a mom and I don't play soccer

The 3rd gen RX has probably increased the number of male owners. The F sport when it comes out potentially even more. But don't worry, driving one does not emasculate you

Quick Reply: About to buy a 2009 RX - a few questions..