RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Headlight difference

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-12, 07:42 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The reason the bi-xenon lights are set to the inside on the RX is for federal regs. That type of light can not be over a certain height on a vehicle due to the kind of light it disperses. The bi-xenon tend to be brighter and more distractive to oncoming traffic. I get flashed by oncoming traffic once in a while even though my brights are not on. This is also one of the reasons the lights are self- leveling.

On the the GX they actually put that dip in the head light to meet the height requirement.
The following users liked this post:
RadiantX45 (07-19-20)
Old 01-15-12, 05:18 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MEP7557
The reason the bi-xenon lights are set to the inside on the RX is for federal regs. That type of light can not be over a certain height on a vehicle due to the kind of light it disperses. The bi-xenon tend to be brighter and more distractive to oncoming traffic. I get flashed by oncoming traffic once in a while even though my brights are not on. This is also one of the reasons the lights are self- leveling.

On the the GX they actually put that dip in the head light to meet the height requirement.
Interesting. Makes sense but range rover sure look a lot taller overall. What's the official max height?
Old 01-15-12, 05:25 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

This also means that 2 reasons why after market HIDs are illegal, no auto leveling and height!
Old 01-16-12, 06:08 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Well, after this I had to back my words up. OOPS.Our government has no specific rules on the lights except that the can not be blinding to oncoming traffic. In Europe they are allowed to use brighter bulbs but they do have a height requirement which I was unable to find. There is a movement afoot to regulate and set a standard for the HID lights here in the US as there has been an uprise of complaints regarding them. Could you just imagine if they recalled all our cars to retro fit them to a standard.
Old 01-16-12, 06:57 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

I get really upset when drivers with halogen drive around with high beams on.. and this is happening more and more.. I think it's because they think cars with HID are.. a

Then there are the owners who retrofit their cars to HID.. it's blinding when their lamps are not properly aimed or there isn't proper projection of the beam..
Old 04-28-12, 07:44 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Sfcyclist
I get really upset when drivers with halogen drive around with high beams on.. and this is happening more and more.. I think it's because they think cars with HID are.. a

Then there are the owners who retrofit their cars to HID.. it's blinding when their lamps are not properly aimed or there isn't proper projection of the beam..
I agree! Im seeing more and more cars without projector headlamps retrofitting HID kits and blinding everyone.
Old 07-29-12, 03:54 PM
VVRX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wondering, did they re-position the HID headlight system on the 2013 RX?
Old 07-29-12, 06:08 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Yes they did. But they no longer swivel. I would be interested in the reason for that. It was a cost reducer I noticed. The cost to replace the '13 headlights are about half the price of a '10-'12 with HID.

Last edited by MEP7557; 07-29-12 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-29-12, 06:30 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I just got off the website, the Adaptive Front Lighting system is still available with two separate packages but you might have to order it from the factory or travel to another geographical area to purchase off the lot.
The 2nd view is a little easier to understand. Here is the link http://www.lexus.com/configurator/#/...up=RX%20Hybrid
Originally Posted by MEP7557
Yes they did. But they no longer swivel. I would be interested in the reason for that. It was a cost reducer I noticed. The cost to replace the '13 headlights are half the price of a '10-'12 with HID.
Attached Thumbnails Headlight difference-afl.jpg   Headlight difference-afs.jpg  

Last edited by Cruiter; 07-29-12 at 06:37 PM. Reason: correction
Old 07-29-12, 07:05 PM
BertL

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Jim, you're still hanging on to the hope AFS is still available -- and I'm still out here with the opposite opinion based on previous threads (even though I miss the functionality and don't understand why it would be discontinued.) TIS shows its gone on 2013's. The dealer special order configuration tool shows its gone, as confirmed with my 2013 order and what is now in my garage. For anyone reading this thread, just know, some of us have found various Lexus Marketing/Sales systems to be out of sync in regards to headlight types and the AFS feature on the 2013 RX. I also confirmed this fact with the Lexus Customer Sat team several months ago, and it appears they have still not corrected this error. I suggest to anyone reading this, they not believe the Lexus "inventory" website in its present state as it relates to AFS, and if you really want AFS, well, try your dealer to see if they can still get it... Just don't hold on to a lot of hope here in at least North America when it comes to AFS on 2013 models. Until someone finds a physical 2013 with AFS and confirms it has swinging headlights around corners, I'll continue to believe its history for the present -- Lexus websites and AFS have proven to be unreliable in this regard.
Old 07-29-12, 07:38 PM
Cruiter

Bert, I admit I'm a bit of a die hard, maybe it's because I was born in MO . Anyway, didn't the new guy get them? He did get the HID's for sure.
Originally Posted by BertL
Jim, you're still hanging on to the hope AFS is still available -- and I'm still out here with the opposite opinion based on previous threads (even though I miss the functionality and don't understand why it would be discontinued.) TIS shows its gone on 2013's. The dealer special order configuration tool shows its gone, as confirmed with my 2013 order and what is now in my garage. For anyone reading this thread, just know, some of us have found various Lexus Marketing/Sales systems to be out of sync in regards to headlight types and the AFS feature on the 2013 RX. I also confirmed this fact with the Lexus Customer Sat team several months ago, and it appears they have still not corrected this error. I suggest to anyone reading this, they not believe the Lexus "inventory" website in its present state as it relates to AFS, and if you really want AFS, well, try your dealer to see if they can still get it... Just don't hold on to a lot of hope here in at least North America when it comes to AFS on 2013 models. Until someone finds a physical 2013 with AFS and confirms it has swinging headlights around corners, I'll continue to believe its history for the present -- Lexus websites and AFS have proven to be unreliable in this regard.
Old 07-30-12, 07:43 AM
Paul B
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My close examination of this issue supports Bert's contention. The 2013 version of AFS halogen lighting is self-leveling only while the 2012 and previous versions does this as well as pivot in corners up to 15 degrees into a left turn on the left headlamp and 10 degrees into a right turn on the right headlamp to more fully illuminate the road surface ahead. AFS estimates where a vehicle will be when entering a corner and adjusts the headlights lateral aim.

Last edited by Paul B; 07-30-12 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-30-12, 11:46 AM
Cruiter

I got a call back from Sewell just a few minutes ago. He was sure he could order it and tried to create an order that wouldn't 'take'. They know it wasn't discontinued due to lack of demand and think it might be temporarily unavailable due to a re-design of some sort. My bet is we'll see it again in the future but just not right now . But HID's are available, just not with AFS.
Originally Posted by Paul B
My close examination of this issue supports Bert's contention. The 2013 version of AFS halogen lighting is self-leveling only while the 2012 and previous versions does this as well as pivot in corners up to 15 degrees into a left turn on the left headlamp and 10 degrees into a right turn on the right headlamp to more fully illuminate the road surface ahead. AFS estimates where a vehicle will be when entering a corner and adjusts the headlights lateral aim.
Old 07-30-12, 03:10 PM
EMSLEXUSRX
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When you say "self-leveling", does this mean the HID headlights go up and down and back to position when they are turned on?
Old 07-30-12, 03:19 PM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

That's them. It's the turning part they got rid of.

Quick Reply: Headlight difference