RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Guidelines on Reverse Camera

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-12, 11:29 AM
tapau
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Guidelines on Reverse Camera

I have a 2011 450h and I do not have guidelines on my rear camera. I was just lookingat some pictures on autoevolution.com of a 450h and the reverse camera shot has this grid lines so that you can see if you're backing up straight or whatever. Is this a setting somewhere? I couldn't find anything in the manual.
Thanks.
Old 01-05-12, 11:43 AM
TampaOwner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im curious as well. our honda pilot has two parallel lines that help us know exactly where were headed
Old 01-05-12, 11:47 AM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I seem to recall that feature was exclusive to the "Luxury" package (or Ultra Premium II in Canada). Along with illuminated door sills, auto-folding side mirrors and a few other things.
Old 01-05-12, 12:30 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The main purpose of the backup camera is to determine if there are objects behind you like children, grocery carts, etc. It's not to be used like a periscope for actually backing up other than to determine how close to an object you are. It shows image in reverse and it's a very wide angle. If you use it to navigate while backing it's just a matter of time before you mess up badly.
I don't have the grid lines and don't care. But I do use them for composition on my camera
Originally Posted by tapau
I have a 2011 450h and I do not have guidelines on my rear camera. I was just lookingat some pictures on autoevolution.com of a 450h and the reverse camera shot has this grid lines so that you can see if you're backing up straight or whatever. Is this a setting somewhere? I couldn't find anything in the manual.
Thanks.
Old 01-05-12, 02:40 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting... Reference lines on back up cam. A crazy idea but carried to another level would be using the back up cam as a video recorder that records when someone bumps into your car? Or integrate a GoPro for HD quality. Joking aside, I have a feeling I'm not far from the truth in next gen of cars. HD cameras for parking, detections and family videos?

Last edited by Sfcyclist; 01-05-12 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-05-12, 03:37 PM
Mdkellys
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiter
The main purpose of the backup camera is to determine if there are objects behind you like children, grocery carts, etc. It's not to be used like a periscope for actually backing up other than to determine how close to an object you are. It shows image in reverse and it's a very wide angle. If you use it to navigate while backing it's just a matter of time before you mess up badly.
I don't have the grid lines and don't care. But I do use them for composition on my camera
Our Audi had the lines and I can tell you it did make some maneuvers much easier. I wish Lexus would add them and add a little better camera.
Old 01-05-12, 03:42 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mklemovitc
I seem to recall that feature was exclusive to the "Luxury" package (or Ultra Premium II in Canada). Along with illuminated door sills, auto-folding side mirrors and a few other things.
I have Ultra Premium II and I do not have any lines on my reverse camera pictures. I do have a very clear picture though and with the Cree reverse lights it is almost the same at night.
Old 01-05-12, 04:10 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Our Nissan has the guidelines, the two sets with the one set that changes with the angle of the front wheels. I like them and wish the RX had them.
Old 01-05-12, 06:45 PM
07LexusGuy
Pole Position

The guide lines are available on the RX's in other countries - not in the North American market.

If you browse Lexus websites in Europe and Asian countries, you will see the RX's shown with guidelines on their reverse cameras. For those with the guide lines, there is a button on the screen that you may click to choose between wide-angle or normal view with guide lines shown.
Old 01-05-12, 07:51 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My Subaru Outback has the guidelines and they are extremely useful. Also, I wish that Lexus would have included the backup image on the rear view mirror in addition to the Nav screen. This would be a great option for those with the Nav option.
Old 01-05-12, 08:08 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

I was annoyed by a lot of drivers not looking back when I'm walking by(cyclist defense).. now I know why.. well on certain times. I find myself doing both.. looking back and using the NAV screen. Amazing how wide the view is.. I don't see the point of the lines still? Not all curbs are straight and the fish eye distorts everything.
Old 01-05-12, 10:20 PM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone who uses the back up camera for navigation while backing up MUST review their Driving skills.
try doing that on your driver's examination and you will definitely lose a point.

the SAFEST way to back up is the "old school" head over your shoulder technique.
imagine backing up from your drive way, YOU don't have a good view of the traffic on both sides of the street if you rely solely on your back up camera.
Old 01-05-12, 10:20 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

probably can be turned on in some secret menu but no, it is not enabled in NA markets
Old 01-05-12, 11:41 PM
py0413
Driver

my 2011 doesn't have those either. but it's good and helpful enough for me
Old 01-06-12, 05:53 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Mark
Kudo's on all positive points. Many years ago when I was with 'Porsche and Audi' we gave a performance driving course to new Porsche owners at Road Atlanta. Looking over RIGHT shoulder when backing was part of the course. If the back up cameras had even been available then we wouldn't have used them. That said, it's nice to 'glance' at mine when backing from a parking spot at grocery store just to make sure no one is walking behind me when entering reverse gear. But over the shoulder is always best.

Originally Posted by markrivers
Anyone who uses the back up camera for navigation while backing up MUST review their Driving skills.
try doing that on your driver's examination and you will definitely lose a point.

the SAFEST way to back up is the "old school" head over your shoulder technique.
imagine backing up from your drive way, YOU don't have a good view of the traffic on both sides of the street if you rely solely on your back up camera.

Quick Reply: Guidelines on Reverse Camera