RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2012 RX350 - Help me get rid of this wood interior!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-12, 07:44 PM
greatcamel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 RX350 - Help me get rid of this wood interior!!

I love my new 2012 RX350 but I absolutely hate the wood interior trim pieces and steering wheel. Perhaps the steering the wheel the most because of the glaring "grandpa" look of the wood finish.

Anyone know a way to either get a replacement steering wheel in just black leather, a super high quality leather overlay or a way to wrap it in carbon fiber properly?

The other thing, I would like to find carbon fiber overlay's (or complete replacements) for all the wood trim pieces inside the car. Help! Love the car... hate how it makes me look like my grandpa is driving it.
Old 01-04-12, 08:36 PM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wood trim

Here you go.

http://compositeenvisions.com/

Good luck
Old 01-04-12, 09:41 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The standard steering wheel in the RX is leather (you paid to upgrade your current steering wheel to wood) ... so you can get it replaced at any time. Is this your first car with a wood interior? It just seems like a strange reaction to the wood interior.
Old 01-05-12, 12:03 AM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The wood trims are also not just ordinary wood or fake wood, they are hand-picked, hand crafted, real wood trims. : ).

I actually put a steering wheel cover because the more I hold the wood pieces, the more i want to use my nails to try and carve it while driving - very tempting indeed.
Old 01-05-12, 07:01 AM
tapau
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with greatcamel ... I hate the wood steering wheel. It dings, it's cold during the winter time, and it's slippery. I've had many luxury vehicles and I do like the wood everywhere else, just not on the steering wheel. Anyone know how much to switch it out for a leather one?
Old 01-05-12, 07:36 AM
rxsuperman
Driver

Originally Posted by tapau
I agree with greatcamel ... I hate the wood steering wheel. It dings, it's cold during the winter time, and it's slippery. I've had many luxury vehicles and I do like the wood everywhere else, just not on the steering wheel. Anyone know how much to switch it out for a leather one?
Not sure about installation labor but the dealer charges around $1K for the leather steering wheel itself. The leather/wood steering wheel costs more than twice as much around $2200. I think it's wasteful for anyone to spend the money to get rid of such an expensive leather/wood steering wheel.
Old 01-05-12, 08:03 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Speaking of wood interiors.......not to get to off track here. When I went to the Auto Show in Nov I noticed that most of the Luxury cars are going to a 'matte' finish instead of the 'high gloss' on the wood pieces. I have to say that I did not like it, the dull finish made it seem cheap and fake. I did like seeing them bring in more exotic woods though. The wood steering wheel does not bother me but, it doesn't get cold here either. For 2012 it is hard if not impossible to find a RX without the wood steering wheel/ shifter.
Old 01-05-12, 08:43 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I opted for the Sport package which does not have the wood steering wheel and shifter. In fact none of my RXs came with it though I did add a wood dash kit on the 300. The less the better IMO. The espresso color looks nicer with the black interior. Unfortunately it's only available with the gray interior. I tried to have the wood changed out before I picked up my 450h. The dealer's installer said I should have asked for no wood to be installed to make it easier. I didn't pursue it. The espresso wood kit (minus the steering wheel and shifter) from Sewell is $1,700. But I've learned to live with it at that price. And it's actually quite subtle from previous gen RXs.

Wrap it up if you don't like it. Kits are cheap. Just don't damage the wood.
Old 01-05-12, 09:57 AM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kitlz

Wrap it up if you don't like it. Kits are cheap. Just don't damage the wood.
This would be my advice if your thinking what I'm thinking in a one piece wheel wrap.

You can buy those soft wrap steering wheel covers @ Walmart and you'd be protecting the wood
at the same time.
On my RX 300, I had a plain leather steering wheel and had a wheel cover on it.

My first time with my 2012 RX, I thought to myself how that smooth wood surface will hold up in years to come.
Old 01-05-12, 10:37 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

The smooth wood will hold up like fine furniture as long as you take care of it. The leather will wear much faster and become worn and glossy at high use areas. Same with the shift ****.

I guess you could spend the $1K for the leather wheel and get your wood one taken out then sell it to recoupe your expense and perhaps pay for the CF overlays you are looking for. I would check eBay for the going rate on used wood trimmed steering wheels.
Old 01-05-12, 11:00 AM
greatcamel
Driver School Candidate

Here in Hawaii I didn't have the option of getting the wood inlaid steerin wheel. They ONLY had it as their packages they bring in. It's a monopoly so only one Lexus dealer here and they bring in a certain package of cars. So I had to take it, trust me, I'm not stupid and wanted it and now am regretting it. The steering wheel actually was one reason I was looking into a X5 instead.

I hate the idea of putting a cheap wheel cover over because they look so obvious and cheap. The wood steering wheel is getting scuffed from my wedding band in the span of two weeks. I am going to be pissed at what it will look like in two years. Also, I hate the way it gets stuck on my palm when I let the steering wheel 'spin' back to center coming out of a turn. I have to go up and down my 5th floor parking garage everyday and that is annoying which I didn't worry about in my IS350.

I am not a DIY'er, so I might have to find a company that can wrap the wood steering wheel and cover the other trim pieces. It's just my style, as someone who is 32 I just haven't grown into the wood look yet.

Sigh
Old 01-05-12, 12:03 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Did I read somewhere the next wheels are bamboo???
Old 01-05-12, 12:27 PM
mklemovitc
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Did I read somewhere the next wheels are bamboo???
The 2013 GS Hybrid features a steering wheel with Bamboo sections as well as bamboo wood trim on the dash. Apparently it's a more sustainable and thus eco-friendly choice.

Here is a picture of one.
Old 01-06-12, 10:32 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm no fan of the wood wheel either. I much prefer the all leather wheel in my IS350, much better luxury feel and better grip. No wear that I can see in 5 1/2 years of ownership.
Old 01-06-12, 11:00 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that wood isn't that sporty but I think it's well done in the RX. IMHO, it fits what the car is, an SUV that's sporty and luxurious... so there's proportionally a small amount of wood trim. It's really minimal too compared to the 1st gen.

To me the interior feel like how it drives. My BMW is the same.. drives like how it looks and feels inside.

Last edited by Sfcyclist; 01-07-12 at 04:31 PM.

Quick Reply: 2012 RX350 - Help me get rid of this wood interior!!