RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 rx350 [Updated with leaked pics page 2]

Old 02-13-12, 12:41 PM
UCSB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was configuring a new GS 450h on the Lexus site and noticed that the steering wheel was heated. This is not a feature that I care about, but I know many members from cold climates wanted this feature on the RX ... the steering wheel change may allow Lexus to offer the heated steering wheel on the 2013 RX.
Old 02-13-12, 12:56 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by UCSB
I was configuring a new GS 450h on the Lexus site and noticed that the steering wheel was heated. This is not a feature that I care about, but I know many members from cold climates wanted this feature on the RX ... the steering wheel change may allow Lexus to offer the heated steering wheel on the 2013 RX.
I don't know. I really think this is just a facelift and nothing earth shattering is taking place. I believe Lexus will wait for the complete redesign when they have new styled parts/pieces to make a change into the heated steering wheel arena - like they did on the GS. They most likely have the majority of their parts on order already and are prepared for manufacturing until the redesign, not the facelift, is ready to go public.
Old 02-13-12, 02:49 PM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
I don't know. I really think this is just a facelift and nothing earth shattering is taking place. I believe Lexus will wait for the complete redesign when they have new styled parts/pieces to make a change into the heated steering wheel arena - like they did on the GS. They most likely have the majority of their parts on order already and are prepared for manufacturing until the redesign, not the facelift, is ready to go public.
I think heated steering might happen with the facelift. I mean why hold back when you have it available right there. Also, Lexus wants to go all out to recapture the #1 spot again. Being the best is difficult but retaining the best is even more difficult
Old 02-13-12, 03:03 PM
aliee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lexus RX 2013 - Minor Update

Hi all,

Just wanted to share with you guys, find it interesting. Like the steering wheels and the interior color.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11202134...f-geneva-debut
Old 02-13-12, 03:17 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am curious what some people do NOT like about the joystick controller? Seems ideal to me, why have to lean forward and hit buttons?

Is release date been leaked yet, or still on the normal mid to late summer release scheduling for N. America?

Thx for posting pix, great heads-up...
Old 02-13-12, 03:24 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

On the new GS, the remote touch was easier to move being on a level surface instead of rotating around. I just didn't like pushing to select. It's not sensitive enough. I can understand having it set this way so screens aren't changed in error. But it can be distracting if I have to press a few times,. And I'm used to pushing a button on the side.
Old 02-13-12, 03:28 PM
dentate
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When Lexus did a model refresh for the LX a heated steering wheel was included in the refresh. I will say this if there is no heated steering wheel in the 2013, I will not buy one and that wood wheel is just too damn cold in the winter!! Lexus is lagging behind others like the Nissan Murano, Lincoln, Cadillac and even Kia for heaven's sakes but then again it took until model year 2010 to bring parking sensors to the RX when they had been available on many makes even in 2002. In Canada, those sensors are available only on the ultra premium packages and NOT available as stand alone options as they are for our friends from the USA despite the fact the vehicles go down the same assembly line. Interesting to note that those same sensors are avaialble only on the top model here for the new GS350 --again no stand alone options. I think they just don't get it--maybe Lexus Canada management needs a shake-up? Then again a heated steering wheel, parking sensors as well as Mark Levinson are all available for the CT but Lexus just chooses to not offer any of those features to North Americans - consequently I'll not buy one!

dentate
Oshawa, Ontario
Old 02-13-12, 04:04 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

So it'll come down to a heated steering wheel, LOL. Next it'll be a cooled steering wheel

The button for the heated steering wheel on the new GS is where our gas release/rear tailgate buttons are located on the lower left. I have a few empty spots, wouldn't take much to add it. But that might upset those who like their wood steering wheel. Can't have both.
Old 02-13-12, 04:20 PM
Dolphin
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, good point, when the device that moves the arrow is also used the "select" by pushing, the arrow can move when you push the joy stick down... I assume that is how it works?

Strangely enough, the the one thing the RX offers is the screen FAR away from the drivers eyes, with the controls located in sitting back position, which when you are tall, is FAR from the screen.... for us over 50, the aging eyes typically can't focus on screens as close as the GS screen.... setting the screen back solves the presbyopia (inability to close focus with age) issue quite nicely. I am surprised other car makers have not caught on to this. Its the only screen I can view easily, without readers, due to the greater viewing distance....oh yeah, and the sun projection is a really nice sitting in the protected area, well designed...
Old 02-13-12, 04:52 PM
GrandSedanFan
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 130 Posts

I wonder if they're going to redo the trans tune. I am so sick of stomping on the throttle when I need to go and having to wait 3 seconds for the transmission to wind up and drop 3 gears when I'm trying to take a spot in traffic. I use the manual shifter sometimes to get around this, but that really shouldn't be necessary.
Old 02-13-12, 06:16 PM
DNC
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It is also far past time to add rear climate controls! I do not care about driving a car with the newest exterior, instead I care about having the latest technology, especially safety features. We will likely replace our RX this year but it will not be influenced by a desire to have the newest style. If I ever get to the point I feel it necessary to replace my cars in an attempt have the latest look I will spend that money on therapy instead.
Old 02-14-12, 06:37 AM
rxsuperman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
So it'll come down to a heated steering wheel, LOL. Next it'll be a cooled steering wheel

The button for the heated steering wheel on the new GS is where our gas release/rear tailgate buttons are located on the lower left. I have a few empty spots, wouldn't take much to add it. But that might upset those who like their wood steering wheel. Can't have both.
What's the big deal about heated steering wheel? I rather wear a pair of driving gloves when my hands feel cold...
Old 02-14-12, 06:53 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If they are using the steering wheel from the new GS in the RX then it should be able to be heated, maybe that's why they are switching steering wheels. I am for the cooled steering wheel, in AZ you need it. LOL

On another note I read somewhere online that they may put the GS's 300+hp engine in the RX to help it compete with the SRX which just bumped up it's hp rating. They also speculated the 450 would get the GS's hybrid system. They may hold that back until Gen4. They are expecting Lexus to do an official release with in a month.
Old 02-14-12, 06:53 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by rxsuperman
What's the big deal about heated steering wheel? I rather wear a pair of driving gloves when my hands feel cold...
Hey, I've survived with only gloves too. Nice feature to have? Yes. Sister had it on her A6 ions ago.
It's about time we get the option.
Old 02-14-12, 10:53 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz

The heated steering wheel on the GS also has wood trim. Only the leather areas are heated

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 rx350 [Updated with leaked pics page 2]