RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models
Old 12-15-14, 12:43 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Homelink Not Working with Chamberlain/LiftMaster Security+ 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-12, 06:37 AM
Jerome
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthLake
Hello Gents, i found this thread by means of google and joined your forum. I own a 2011 BMW 3 series. (dont hate me!)

i wanted to participate here because i just installed a Chamberlain HD920EV (HD900 series) and have been unable to get the Homelink link in my 2011 car to learn the remote code.

I called homelink and they were kind enough to send out a "repeater" (thats on back order)

ive done all the steps, properly, millions of times and while ive programed my homelink in my car to work with other devices, (since cleared it) it does NOT play well with this chamberlain Security 2.0 unit!

i prob wont get the repeater in the mail for another month and hope that we can figure something out so none of us would have to use it anyways.

When i called chamberlain (liftmaster) to talk to them they were quick to pawn me off to homelink. Homelink told me that because the Opener has the yellow learn button means it should be compatible with Homelink. this does not appear to be the case with these particular models of garage door openers.... which is really frustrating...
I understand your frustration. Programming Homelink to operate the garage opener is a straight forward procedure that is well documented. I don't know who to believe for this major software/hardware incompatibility. Homelink looked up my 2011 RX and said it should work as they believe it should have at least Homelink 4.0 installed, which is required for Security+ 2.0. Nevertheless, they are sending me a repeater and only charging $7 for shipping. Still...

When I get my 2012 Honda Odyssey (in shop for body work) back this week, I will try to program the Homelink button to the Chamberlain Security+ 2.0 garage opener.
Old 01-11-12, 08:03 AM
SouthLake
Driver School Candidate

Jerome,
Please keep us posted, this thread is the only one ive found with the collective minds working on this particular issue. it bugs me to no end to carry around an opener clipped to my visor for my brand new door, while ive programmed 3 other openers to my car in the past with no problem.

Did homelink tell you that the repeaters were back ordered?! they told me i should have mine at the end of month or 'a little later' due to the back order.

Im going to get in touch with my dealer and see if i can ascertain if my 2011 328 has version 4.0 Homelink in it. my car was a late 2010 build.
Old 01-11-12, 08:56 AM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Dang, it's looking more suspicious for just software incompatibility since even other car manufacturers are having issues. They must have taken lessons from Microsoft.
If this is the case, then I'm not sure how a repeater would make it work unless there is also some sort of decoder built in. By the strictest sense of the term, the repeater will only relay the signal, but if the signal is still not readable by the receiving unit, it still won't work. I'm assuming what they term a "repeater" is actually a backwards compatible decoder of sorts. I sure hope this works out for y'all. Please keep us posted.
Old 01-11-12, 09:13 AM
SouthLake
Driver School Candidate

just some more info specifics...

The opener
Chamberlain HD920EV with a build date of 10/2011
aka model number 349544

I just hung up with the BMW dealer and they are going to get back to me as to the Homelink version thats in my car.
and i just linked my homelink in my car to another garage door with no problem so i know the unit is not broken in the car.

i agree, its def someone not talking to the other, and talking to chamberlain seems to be useless but i feel like they are the ones that need to know, they just pass it off to homelink....

the repeater is probably just smarter than the mirror module, and more capable of transmitting the copied remote code. then programing the cars Homelink to the repeater is probably as easy as it just learning a fixed code, which pretty much circumvents the whole point of the security... PLUS... if the power is out... homelink wont open the door since the repeater will be inop, as another poster mentioned.

Last edited by SouthLake; 01-11-12 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-11-12, 12:25 PM
SouthLake
Driver School Candidate

more info...
my last opener was a dip switch type, was prob 20 years old... I had a KLIK1U

that operated that former unit as well.The KLIK1U is at LEAST 2 years old... I just successfully reprogrammed the KLIK1U to operate the new HD920EV Chamberlain... i then tried to pair the KLIK1U remote with the homelink, it STILL did not pair. ARRRGH!!!

I also purchased a mini 3 button remote and linked it with the HD920

it also failed to pair with the Homelink in the car...

i can pair the homelink in my car with any other garage door except the one from my home, so i know the one in my car is still working... it usually will pair up with any other opener in about 4 seconds...

this is maddening.
Old 01-11-12, 02:34 PM
Jerome
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SouthLake
more info...
my last opener was a dip switch type, was prob 20 years old... I had a KLIK1U

that operated that former unit as well.The KLIK1U is at LEAST 2 years old... I just successfully reprogrammed the KLIK1U to operate the new HD920EV Chamberlain... i then tried to pair the KLIK1U remote with the homelink, it STILL did not pair. ARRRGH!!!

I also purchased a mini 3 button remote and linked it with the HD920

it also failed to pair with the Homelink in the car...

i can pair the homelink in my car with any other garage door except the one from my home, so i know the one in my car is still working... it usually will pair up with any other opener in about 4 seconds...

this is maddening.
Homelink told me the same thing about the repeater being on back order. Anyway, this or something very similar is going to shipped to us...

http://www.gdcorp.com/instructions/l...epeater_om.pdf

I'm not too thrilled about the work around as you have to plug the repeater into a wall outlet to power it, which can make the battery backup functionality of the garage opener useless.
Old 01-11-12, 02:38 PM
SouthLake
Driver School Candidate

really gives you warm fuzzies about paying $250 for a 'premium' opener!
thanks for that PDF, reading it now...
at an absolute MINIMUM this POS repeater box should have been included with the Opener... its just one more thing to break or get fried.

Last edited by SouthLake; 01-11-12 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-21-12, 02:15 PM
Jerome
Driver School Candidate

2012 Honda Odyssey Homelink button easily learned my Chamberlain garage door opener with Security+ 2.0. All I had to do was learn the remote signal to one of the Homelink buttons in the vehicle. Afterward I was able to operate the garage door opener, without having to also learn the garage door opener head unit. It took under 30 seconds to complete the programming. As a result, I can conclude the 2011 RX does NOT have the correct software for the Homelink hardware to communicate with Security+ 2.0. Who knows who screwed up in the Homelink implementation, Homelink or car manufacturers?
Old 01-21-12, 04:01 PM
SouthLake
Driver School Candidate

argh! so this proves it. our 2011 cars have outdated software...
the manufactures just point fingers at the other party!
im eagerly awaiting my "translator unit"
Old 01-25-12, 06:58 PM
SouthLake
Driver School Candidate

Got a tracking number on the Homelink Repeater... should be here on the 31st.

its worth mentioning again i was able to get this for free from homelink (including free shipping), once it arrives i'll be just shy of 4 weeks to get it...

I'll report back once its installed. its frustrating to have to take this route...
Old 01-29-12, 06:20 PM
Jerome
Driver School Candidate

Got my Homelink repeater Friday. The repeater included its own garage opener remote. After installing the unit into a power outlet, I was able to successfully program the RX Homelink button.
Wife is happy she doesn't have to deal with the garage opener remote anymore. As for me, I'm still going to ask Lexus check out the vehicle's Homelink hardware. I bet a 2012 Lexus Homelink has no problem programming a garage door opener with Security+ 2.0.
Old 01-31-12, 07:39 PM
SouthLake
Driver School Candidate

Well the repeater arrived today. And it took roughly 7 seconds to program the homelink in my 2011 BMW. Unreal that our cars are not up to date w software compatible w these openers. And it's frustrating that I prob wasted hours trying to get it to work before this...

I'm glad this work around, works. But it's just one more thing to break or get fried.

Name:  543a7e78.jpg
Views: 18223
Size:  44.6 KB
Old 02-01-12, 07:00 AM
SouthLake
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jerome
I bet a 2012 Lexus Homelink has no problem programming a garage door opener with Security+ 2.0.
Im curious if we mailed our mirrors to Homelink if they would install the latest chipset, or if its a software thing that the dealer could do?

my dealer doesnt seem to be able to figure this out...
Old 02-01-12, 08:58 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

It is a shame to have one more device added that could fail. At least the repeater doesn't look too clunky and could be plugged in just about anywhere in the garage. If I'd paid extra for a battery backed-up opener, I'd be tempted to plug the repeater into a battery back-up too. Then you've added yet another device to this already long chain of controls.

Are power outages or rolling black-outs a problem in your area?
Old 08-26-12, 11:17 AM
SouthLake
Driver School Candidate

just wanted to follow up here...
i sold the BMW, and also took the garage "repeater" out...
i have a 2012 Tacoma now that came with homelink... the homelink on this truck works flawlessly with this gargae door opener. its obviously an issue with the 2010/2011 homelink devices...

Quick Reply: Homelink Not Working with Chamberlain/LiftMaster Security+ 2.0