RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Love my new 350 but why no POI by name using voice?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-12, 07:08 PM
mswilsonuk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love my new 350 but why no POI by name using voice?

Hi all, I have found this forum to be an excellent knowledge resource, and hope you can help me here. I am the new owner of a 2012 nubula grey RX 350 and love it. I have always liked this car when I have seen it on the road and am over the moon to now own one.

One aspect is bugging me, however, since I cannot fathom the reasoning. Why, when using the voice nav system, can I not search for POI by name (I can when not moving). I can do a voice entry using the other search methods (e.g. address, by category etc), but not by name. I find that I want to do this very often, e.g. A bar by name XXX, or the nearest Home Depot, or a mall called XXXX (by category really does not work conveniently for this). I cannot understand for the life of me why this particularly useful aspect is disabled for voice?

To get around this, I have to been carrying my Garmen to find the address, and then entering it using voice commands! I would rather not do this.

Also, as a more minor niggle, why does the A/C not turn off when I press Auto again? I have to do several selections in the NAV screen to turn off A/C - which I do not want in winter all the time (due to fuel efficiency).

Many thanks!
Old 01-01-12, 07:17 PM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Bob
Hi and welcome to our forum, glad you're here. RE: voice commands, that's a question for the engineers . Maybe someday we'll find a way to get some on our forum. Never know.

As far as easiest way to turn off A/C, just keep pressing the fan button till it stops. That's it.

Again, welcome.
Originally Posted by mswilsonuk
Hi all, I have found this forum to be an excellent knowledge resource, and hope you can help me here. I am the new owner of a 2012 nubula grey RX 350 and love it. I have always liked this car when I have seen it on the road and am over the moon to now own one.

One aspect is bugging me, however, since I cannot fathom the reasoning. Why, when using the voice nav system, can I not search for POI by name (I can when not moving). I can do a voice entry using the other search methods (e.g. address, by category etc), but not by name. I find that I want to do this very often, e.g. A bar by name XXX, or the nearest Home Depot, or a mall called XXXX (by category really does not work conveniently for this). I cannot understand for the life of me why this particularly useful aspect is disabled for voice?

To get around this, I have to been carrying my Garmen to find the address, and then entering it using voice commands! I would rather not do this.

Also, as a more minor niggle, why does the A/C not turn off when I press Auto again? I have to do several selections in the NAV screen to turn off A/C - which I do not want in winter all the time (due to fuel efficiency).

Many thanks!
Old 01-01-12, 07:30 PM
mswilsonuk
Driver School Candidate

Cruiter, thanks for the prompt reply. Re the A/C, if I turn the fan off by pressing "down" for a while, will the A/C come back on when I turn the fan back on? I guess I am looking for a quick way to turn A/C on/off independently of having the air blow - or am I overly-worrying about the fuel efficiency hit when using climate control (in my old honda I had a seperate A/C button to press on/off). Basically, I would like to use climate control (for heating) but would rather not have the A/C running and using fuel during the winter (it seems like it is always on with ACC, unless I go in the NAV screen and turn A/C off) .
Old 01-01-12, 08:56 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A/C units today don't affect the mileage like they used to in the past so you are probably worrying about nothing. I adjust the climate by using fan and temp buttons.....don't really care if a/c is on or not.

When you start out don't you have a destination in mind where you can input that before taking off? I know sometimes things change en route, but if that happens I just use the Enform service and have the operator download the location. Very easy.
Old 01-01-12, 09:06 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

mswilsonuk, when you say air conditioning do you mean the climate control system or do you mean mechanical cooling? Page 328 in my manual say A/C (mechanical cooling) doesnt function below 32F/0C.

Saying, "Automatic Climate Control" turns off the whole system. Saying it again, turns it back on.

If you have Enform, just let Lexus put the location into your nav. I have difficulty with voice Destination as my request isn't "near here" or "along route".
Old 01-02-12, 04:38 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Bob, you're driving around two tons + of car. I doubt with the modern A/C systems you'd notice a large swing with the system on or off. But to answer your question yes, if it's off, just hit the 'auto' button and it's on again. Not hard at all.

Mine was built early in 2009 as a 2010 450h so I don't have the enform. Others can speak better about that.
Cruiter, thanks for the prompt reply. Re the A/C, if I turn the fan off by pressing "down" for a while, will the A/C come back on when I turn the fan back on? I guess I am looking for a quick way to turn A/C on/off independently of having the air blow - or am I overly-worrying about the fuel efficiency hit when using climate control (in my old honda I had a seperate A/C button to press on/off). Basically, I would like to use climate control (for heating) but would rather not have the A/C running and using fuel during the winter (it seems like it is always on with ACC, unless I go in the NAV screen and turn A/C off) .
Old 01-02-12, 06:03 AM
MEP7557
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a setting in the Nav system to turn off the A/C comp yet still be able to use the Auto mode. I think it is called an energy efficiency setting, something like that.
Old 01-02-12, 08:36 AM
mswilsonuk
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your answers guys. I really hope they address the POI by name issue since I wont have enform after the first year. I tried to use enform for the first time yesterday to find Mt. Washington (the largest mountain and State part in New Hampshire)......and they could not find it! We were in the area and wanted to check it out...stopped at a gas station and bought a map (can't beat the old ways)

DunWkg: I agree that the "near hear" or "along route only option is very frustrating.

OK, while I have you attention, could I indulge with another 3 questions about the NAV?

1. When I am en route to a destination using the NAV, I sometimes want to check where it is taking me (e.g. to be sure it it still taking me to the correct place...I might have been messing with the NAV during the journey). Is there a button to press that will display the current destination?

2. When I select the show map+ turn list option it seems to only show the next 3 or so turns. Is there a way to get the full list of turns displayed as a list (I cannot scroll further down the list, unless I am missing something)

3. Finally, several times when I have tried to use the voice NAV, after saying "Destination" I get the reply "This feature is not available at the moment". Does this just mean that it cannot find the satellite at that time?

Many Thanks and Happy New Year to All
Old 01-02-12, 10:20 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Asking for Mt Washington in NH was a bit of a big area. When I spoke with "mother Lexus", I needed to narrow it down to a place within the park. A short little 1,300 mile trip for me.

1. I know of three ways to check the destination. Using the menu button, click on "Destination", scroll over to "Map" and click on it. It will show your destination. Second way, using menu button, click on "Destination" and in the upper right corner it says "Del Destination" click that and the name of your destination will show, click "No". The third way is to zoom out as far as possible (14 clicks of the zoom out arrow button) and click on the destination marker, it will show information about the destination. Perhaps someone else knows another method.

2. I don't know a way to show more than one page of four turns. Gotta scroll. Perhaps someone else knows another method.

3. Certain commands are only available when specific screens are being displayed. Not sure I've ever had a time when it didn't find satellites, except in a parking garage or in among tall buildings.
Old 01-02-12, 11:55 AM
mswilsonuk
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I found the full scrollable list of turns under the quick list in the Route button (the show map and turn list is not scrollable).
Old 01-02-12, 07:05 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One aspect is bugging me, however, since I cannot fathom the reasoning. Why, when using the voice nav system, can I not search for POI by name (I can when not moving).
Many thanks!

If you can use somthing when you are stopped and not when you are moving then get the Prestige Society nav override. Every day I find out more stuff that is locked out of the nav when moving.