RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

No clue about buying new car in the 20th century

Old 12-23-11, 01:15 PM
ls9234
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No clue about buying new car in the 20th century

Ooops... I mean 21th century above.

This will be my first time buying a new car after owning a BMW for 20 years. Negotiating and buying cars must have been totally different now.

So, I need help from you experts to give me a step-by-step or share your experienced on going about purchase a new vehicle. Where to get invoice price and how much room to negotiate. I'm not a negotiator savvy, so anyone willing to share some of your emails text to the dealer privately will be appreciated.

Oh... I am interested in the 2012 RX450h or Certified Pre-owned

Lilly

Last edited by ls9234; 12-23-11 at 10:13 PM.
Old 12-23-11, 01:58 PM
Art3
Driver School Candidate

First of all, Lilly, don't let the sales person hear you refer to this as the 20th Century - (s)he might think you're an easy touch!
Second, the Internet is your friend. Buy Consumer Reports on line; they have test drives, reviews, and stats galore. Research the value of that old Bimmer at Edmund's and kbb.com. It's just one man's opinion, but you should get 5-7% off sticker and close to the trade-in value for the BMW.
Third, check out the recent threads here about "Should you buy from the sales manager?" Members wax fluently about the sales "game."
Finally, you're headed in the right direction - nothing better than a Lexus!
Old 12-23-11, 02:06 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by ls9234
This will be my first time buying a new car after owning a BMW for 20 years. Negotiating and buying cars must have been totally different now.

So, I need help from you experts to give me a step-by-step or share your experienced on going about purchase a new vehicle. Where to get invoice price and how much room to negotiate. I'm not a negotiator savvy, so anyone willing to share some of your emails text to the dealer privately will be appreciated.

Oh... I am interested in the 2012 RX450h or Certified Pre-owned

Lilly
It's the 21st cenruty, Lilly. hence the warning above

Here is the thread about buying from a sales manager. Just click on this: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...s-manager.html

Lots of good information around here. One of the up and coming places to go in order to get your best deal on a NEW vehicle is truecar.com. It provides you with low, middle and high prices being paid for what you are looking for within a certain geographic area and allows you to price shop various dealers from the comfort of your home.

If you are looking at a NEW 450h then bet on $50K for a pretty decent example. Certified pre-owns are really high in market value right now and getting a new one may only cost $2-3K more. Here is an example of a non-CPO I witnessed at my local dealer:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...50h-value.html

Best of luck,

Eric
Old 12-23-11, 02:26 PM
TampaOwner
Driver

Lilly, do most of your leg work via email with the various dealers near you. dont give them your phone number unless you want ten different dealerships calling you every day. make up a phone number if you have to. figure out exactly what car you want and what features. also figure out what features you DONt want to save time and money... ie. I live in Florida and only looked at friont wheel drive cars and not AWD...., then email the internet sales person at the 3-4 Lexus closest dealers near you with the car features you want/dont want.. skip all the pleasantries and tell them to include their best offer for what you want... try to be flexible on colors.... then take your best price and go to the dealer that has the car you want and have them march that best offer or negotiate even lower...

the most important thing is to buy the car you want the week after Xmas but before New Years... that is absolutely the best week to buy a car... if you are able to, buy it before January 1st, and save money for sure!,

as a reference... I bought a 2012 RX450 FWD with navigation, premium and comfort package, park assist, remote start and other features a few weeks ago... MSRP was $55,000 and I paid $51,500 before taxes/fees... and i got that $500 below thei the lowest internet quote i got.... i know i could have done better but hybrids are hard to get and it was exactly what i wanted, and i needed it before Xmas for a present. you could do better than that during that last week of the year... good luck!!,!,

Last edited by TampaOwner; 12-23-11 at 02:36 PM.