RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Remote Starter installed

Old 12-16-11, 04:40 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Remote Starter installed

Well went and picked up my car this afternoon after having the Viper remote starter and the SmartStart gps module put in and all I can say is... Its perfect.

Hatch opens, doors unlock, car starts etc. Can not even tell it was installed which is very important to me so I am very happy. Only bad part is that I dont have an Iphone (waiting for the 4G Iphone5) and they dont have a windows mobile app built yet. My son has it on his Iphone so we can play with it if nothing else.

If an installer says they cant do it to your 350/450 then find a better installer.
Old 12-16-11, 06:30 PM
JLRX
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

congrats Jairus,

so does the car turn off when you open the door?

I will either get the 5301 or 5501with the GPS module, the only differences that I can see are the range (2000ft for the 5301 and up to 1 mile for the 5501) and the fobs, and if I am using my iPhone then do I really need a nice LCD fob? decisions, decisions...
Old 12-16-11, 07:50 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

yes it does turn off when you open the door. It is the same as the factory one in that regards. I have not seen one that does not work that way on these vehicles.
Old 12-16-11, 08:03 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Jairus,

Glad you are happy with the viper. My experience was/is mixed. We put it in a Nissan Maxima, it worked great. Moved it to a newer Maxima, it works great. Put one in a 2010 RX450 and it rarely worked. Partly due to the A T & T Edge network and the installer couldn't get it to work 100% of the time using the Viper fob. I had it removed.

I just had a Drone Mobile installed in the 2012 RX450 and it works very well. The web application keeps a history of every action taken either by the web application or the iPhone application. It keeps 3 months of activity and I can see it would be useful if you need to troubleshoot difficulties.

I also had the CompuStar alarm installed at the same time as the Drone. I'm having it removed. The alarm removes the keyless access to the car. Walk up with the OEM RX fob in your pocket, grab the door handle and the alarm goes off. Sorry not giving up keyless entry to gain an alarm.

JLRX,
With our Maxima, the viper fob sits in a drawer in the house and is never used. We just use the iPhone only for remote starting and had no desire to carry an additional fob. Keyless entry has spoiled us.

Last edited by DunWkg; 12-16-11 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-17-11, 10:22 AM
jamiec
Driver

Originally Posted by InRBigness
Well went and picked up my car this afternoon after having the Viper remote starter and the SmartStart gps module put in and all I can say is... Its perfect.

Hatch opens, doors unlock, car starts etc. Can not even tell it was installed which is very important to me so I am very happy. Only bad part is that I dont have an Iphone (waiting for the 4G Iphone5) and they dont have a windows mobile app built yet. My son has it on his Iphone so we can play with it if nothing else.

If an installer says they cant do it to your 350/450 then find a better installer.
I was thinking about getting the remote starter installed. If you don't mind me asking, why did you go with the Viper instead of the OEM?
Old 12-17-11, 11:08 AM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

There is a long thread about this already,

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...rt-option.html

but the bottom line is that I need the vehicle to start from farther away than 30 feet. Here in canada Lexus does not even offer the factory one as they feel it does not do the job that is needed and the aftermarket ones are far better.

If I have to go to 30 feet from my vehicle then I might as well get in and start it manually.

I have had compustar stuff before and it was great but here in Canada a few dealers advised me against the Drone as it was not well supported here yet, thus I went for the viper. I agree with the autounlock stuff, it is awsome. I dont even carry keys anymore, just the credit card thing in my wallet. Once I get either a new windows mobile or an ipone 5 I will leave the Viper key fob in the drawer as well.
Old 12-31-11, 05:12 PM
patrickt88
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by InRBigness

I am considering a remote start for my wife's 2012 RX350 also. i was wondering if you leave the headlights in auto mode, remote start your car at night. Let's say you did not get to the before the remote starter turn off the car, w the headlight turn off by it self ?

on my 07GS350, headlight stays on. that's why i've not get this done for the RX yet.

Last edited by patrickt88; 12-31-11 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-01-12, 02:13 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Leaving lights in auto and then later remote starting does not turn on my headlights. Remote starting blinks brake lights, emergency flashers, beeps once(door lock) and turns on parking lights, but no headlights. Parking lights stay on until car is entered and started. Allowing car to remote start and then allowing it to continuing to run until it stops, turns off all lights. Also opening the tailgate does not stop engine. Opening the driver's door stops engine.

Please keep in mind this is a Drone remote start.

I'm in the habit of turning off radio and turning off navigation display when leaving the car when I will remote stat it later. Fewer lights on inside that way.
Old 01-01-12, 05:30 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

The auto headlights do not turn on with the Lexus remote start either. But I would make sure the rain sensing wipers are off. Melting ice or snow might trigger the sensor. It could potentially damage the wipers or the motor if the wipers are stuck to the windshield.
Old 01-01-12, 07:04 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Excellent point Anita. I wasn't thinking snow and ice yet!!! And I would prefer not to!
Old 01-02-12, 02:31 PM
RaZz
Driver School Candidate

Hey Guys,

I have been jumping through some threads on the board about remote start and i'm still not sure what I should do in regards to the remote starter issue.

I pick up my 2012 RX450h from the dealer in a couple of weeks and I declined the remote starter etc.

is the viper really worth it? I mean 800+ for a starter is pretty steep.

The dealer told me aftermarket would probably be cheaper for me; but I have no idea who here in Calgary could a good job on something like this.

Its pretty brutal that here in Canada we dont have great options (from the dealer even) and a remote start is a must in Calgary as is it is in Manitoba.

What are your thoughts on that?
Old 01-02-12, 07:11 PM
InRBigness
Lead Lap

Well I am sold on mine. i got the viper but also got the smart start which allows it to work via your smart phone. Just regular starte should be in the $500 range. I really like the smart start though as it does more than start the car.

Go to the lexus dealer or other high end dealer and ask who does their installations. Stay away from the box stores in my experience.

Last edited by InRBigness; 01-02-12 at 07:15 PM.
Old 01-02-12, 08:19 PM
RaZz
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your help InRBigness!
Old 11-07-12, 01:36 PM
Norboo
Rookie

SO, you need to carry your Viper remote along with Lexus Smart Key? IT won't work on Lexus fob?
Old 11-07-12, 02:40 PM
triquynh
Driver

Will it work with the factory smart access feature?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Remote Starter installed