RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Clicking noise sound when I apply brakes in reverse at low speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-11, 01:31 AM
aliee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Clicking noise sound when I apply brakes in reverse at low speed

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you had this problem on your ride, clicking noise when you apply brakes in reverse? ( I had this problem as well on my previous toyota ) it's annoying that I have to hear this sound again. My car is 6 mo old and I just put 5000km so far on my ride , I guess i can let the dealer handle it ?

Last edited by aliee; 12-11-11 at 01:52 AM.
Old 12-11-11, 06:06 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

yes, mine makes this sound as well. It is the floating calipers system on the cars. While I didnt have this on previous RXs, it is noticeable in the 3gen RX but not as loud as my IS
Old 12-11-11, 10:30 AM
Lilly
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. Back up, apply brakes, CLUNK.
Old 12-11-11, 11:57 AM
aliee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lilly
Yep. Back up, apply brakes, CLUNK.
So thats not normal right? did you take it to the dealer to have them resolve the issue?
Old 12-11-11, 12:02 PM
aliee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXSF
yes, mine makes this sound as well. It is the floating calipers system on the cars. While I didnt have this on previous RXs, it is noticeable in the 3gen RX but not as loud as my IS
so did you take your car to the dealer? so have them fix it for you? The car is great but those little things made me wonder if I should buy another lexus again in the future

FYI: i found something weak for Lexus or i guess I can called it Toyota as well, when I just got the car a week after I discover something on the under-body , I see some surface rust has been developed esp on (suspension frames). I have pictures if you would like to see it. I did make a claim to LEXUS canada, but they declined with their stupid reason (Its normal every car has it)
.Come on I had mercedes and bmw's , they dont have those problem

Last edited by aliee; 12-11-11 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-11-11, 07:54 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

completely normal. it is the sound of the pads moving forward and backward when the vehicle is moving forward and backward which is why you will hear it when you are in reverse and have just moving forward in drive.
Old 12-11-11, 08:25 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by aliee
so did you take your car to the dealer? so have them fix it for you? The car is great but those little things made me wonder if I should buy another lexus again in the future
Completely normal, I've heard it on all kinds of vehicles, some are more pronounced than others. If you are going to dump Lexus for a reason like this it is irrational, but it is your money.
Old 12-14-11, 08:09 AM
aliee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXSF
completely normal. it is the sound of the pads moving forward and backward when the vehicle is moving forward and backward which is why you will hear it when you are in reverse and have just moving forward in drive.
thank you for clarifying
Old 12-14-11, 09:38 AM
rxsuperman
Driver

Originally Posted by aliee
thank you for clarifying
I rolled down my window and tested forward and reverse braking on my 2011 RX350. I hear no sound whatsoever.
Old 12-14-11, 06:35 PM
fr0mastaj
Driver School Candidate

I hear the same noise, unfortunately. I would certainly call this an abnormal noise, especially for a Lexus. I find that the noise only happens the car has the chance to rock backwards a good amount, which is easily done stopping while backing up as others have mentioned. I can almost always hear the noise when coming to a complete stop on an upward incline too.

Last edited by fr0mastaj; 12-14-11 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-14-11, 07:23 PM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

cleaning the brakes might help.
Old 12-03-12, 08:31 PM
DrewGS350
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife has had her 10 RX 18 months and this caliper noise just started 2 weeks ago. This is my third Lexus love the cars but this noise is not normal. It's annoying has anyone found a permanent fix? The noise can only be heard on the drivers front wheel.
Old 12-04-12, 04:30 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

If you're sure it's 'abnormal', make a trip to the dealer while it's still under warranty.
Originally Posted by DrewGS350
My wife has had her 10 RX 18 months and this caliper noise just started 2 weeks ago. This is my third Lexus love the cars but this noise is not normal. It's annoying has anyone found a permanent fix? The noise can only be heard on the drivers front wheel.
Old 12-04-12, 08:34 AM
mandidy
Driver School Candidate

i have the same on mine... but i always thought it was normal....
Old 12-04-12, 11:56 AM
DrewGS350
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I took it to the dealer and they explained that the noise is from the caliper and the pads and is considered "normal". This is my third lexus and this is the first time I am hearing this noise. 18 months with the RX and it only started 2 weeks ago. I have read other lexus threads here on CL on this in particular issue. What I am asking is there a fix? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Clicking noise sound when I apply brakes in reverse at low speed