RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Trusting Your Mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-11, 08:54 AM
GRPFAN
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trusting Your Mechanic

Our third generation RX 350 takes a lot of money to purchase.

So........

If you take your RX back to a Lexus dealer for service, a Toyota dealer, or your neighbors best friend, how do you measure a honest and reliable mechanic that's up to date on repairing a RX???

Hopefully...... not by a couple oil changes.

Sometimes at a dealership, I'll take the time to read the framed award certificates on the walls.

How do you judge?

Cheers!
Old 12-07-11, 09:19 AM
TampaOwner
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i judge by the people working there... if im comfortable with the mom and pop shop to do my oil changes and tire rotations, then im glad to save the $300 by avoiding the dealer...
Old 12-07-11, 09:51 AM
lalewla
Rookie

hi GRPFAN,

since i know very little about cars, i only take my Lexuses to the dealer. so far, i've been able to afford the repairs. which something i considered when i purchased my cars which is why i don't drive a BMW.

i think you're on the right track. friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc., can give you great references. it's worked in the past for me with other cars i've owned and i pray it works for me again in the event i can no longer afford to have my cars services by Lexus.

good luck to you!
Old 12-07-11, 10:53 AM
txt
Driver

To check out a shop, I would bring my car in for a relatively small job, say AC recharge or CV joint, or valve cover gasket.
As mentioned, an oil change may not be a good indicator of a competent mechanic.
If the shop did good quality work for reasonable price, I would come back for the next repair (big or small)

If the shop that I trust suddenly charges more than I think reasonable, or the work quality goes down, I would start looking for the next shop.
There are many repair shops in my area, so there's no problem finding a replacement.
Old 12-07-11, 11:02 AM
rxsuperman
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I look for a shop or mechanic who allows the customer to go into the service area anytime to observe the mechanic working on your vehicle. I haven't had any issues with the shops that have open door policies not to mention that I can learn a lot from the mechanic working on my car.
Old 12-07-11, 12:56 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

I start with simple oil cahnges and tire rotations as mentioned above. After that I might take one of my other vehicles to see how they fair at state inspection time.

Case in point - fould this local guy about 4 1/2 years ago close to my house when we moved in. Took my MINI to him for an oil change and tire rotation. Next up was the wife's previous Jetta for a state inspection. Jetta dealer told her the year prior she would need brake pads and rotors on the front and pads on the rear to pass the next year. Got a call from the local guy after he was done. I asked him why he didn't replace the brakes. He said "because they didn't need replacing. They're almost like new". I went there, he showed me the measurements and even put it back up on the rack and did it again. Sure enough, they were close to new specs. He got my business when I got the ES. I mean these cars are a Toyota product. Not everything on them is special or we wouldn't be able to take them to even a Toyota dealer.

Having said that, the local guy did tell me when I had the Es that if/when I needed tranny fluid changed to take it to the dealer since there is a different tool then he carries in order to do it right. So he recommended the dealer when appropriate and otherwise will recommend the dealer. That's about as honest as I can hope for.
Old 12-07-11, 04:51 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

I take my RX to the dealer for service. They were recommended by another Lexus owner. Believe me, I was extremely skeptical after being treated like a neurotic female by several dealers when I had the Ford lemon. But I have not had a single issue in 13 years. My SA won't let me get any repairs done unless they're absolutely necessary and only lets two techs work on my RX. I believe she still has an RX herself as well as one of the techs. She definitely has my best interest in mind. Recently I brought in the 450h for the 15K service plus oil change and the nav update. I was only a month shy of a year since I had the oil done but she still questioned me to make sure. And forget the nav update, she wouldn't let me do it saying it wasn't worth it. I was set up in a loaner since the service was supposed to take a few hours. I didn't really need it though. It took less than two. She had two techs work on my RX and shaved $100 off the bill. I'm so spoiled I won't go anywhere else