RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Just bought a 2012 RX350 for my wife, Tungsten with Black

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-11, 10:26 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just bought a 2012 RX350 for my wife, Tungsten with Black

It seemed meant like it was meant to be. Last week, we picked up a 2012 RX350 Tungsten with black interior. Previous to this we owned a 01 RX300. Initially we were just going to buy a 2nd gen but after only a week of owning the 3rd gen, clearly the 3rd Gen was the right choice. The differences are so drastic.

A few more details about the car;
Comfort package
Nav
Premium
Tow Prep
19"
PDC
FWD
Built in Japan!

With our 1st gen as reference, performance had improved in all areas. I was impressed today when I took the car through some turns around 60/65 mph. It was predictable and stable. The understeer was predictable and body roll was impressive for a car this tall.

In terms of space, the passenger compartment seems a lot larger. than the inch that they say the car grew The area that seems smaller is the cargo. Though the change to double wishbone got rid of the struts tower and increased space, the floor of the trunk is higher now so over height is reduced. I didn't take measurement though so this is from memory.

Little things I miss, which many others have touched on, sunglass holder/storage, glove box light(without switching on parking lights).. but this is just after a week.. Leather is really soft now, hope it's as durable as our previous RX.

Things I am looking to do;
1. Cross Bars for bike rack. I bike and she pick me up in random places often. Right now, I'm thinking of factory cross bars with Yakima's Forklift.
2. Side molding. Though I prefer the clean look, just need that basic protection.
3. Clear bra.

BTW, thanks for the forum members who's info was most helpful. I'll try to contribute as well!
Old 12-04-11, 12:28 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Congrats! Lexus is number 1 when it comes to repeat buyers and I am sure you will love the 3rd gen as much if not more than the 1st gen. The 1 inch that grew was from the second gen to the 3rd gen. From the 1st gen to 2nd gen, the car grew 6 inches in length so the passenger area is way bigger. Trunk space should be more...according to online sources the RX300 had 39.8 cu ft, the RX330 38.3 and the 3gen RX 40 cu ft.
Old 12-04-11, 05:28 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats!

Since yu have the tow package why. Ot just get a hitch mount rack vs trying to load your bike on the roof? Cross bars are always nice but after a ride I prefer the lazier route

I prefer non side molding cleaner route as well. The OEM door molding is more aesthetic IMO since it guards against a specific height of shopping cart or other car door

As for the clear bra - do it sooner than later. Do a search for 3M clear bra. It shoul bring up the recent thread about my experience

Most of all - have fun!
Old 12-04-11, 05:37 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Here is the thread on the clear bra: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...rd-update.html

Eric
Old 12-04-11, 06:45 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Congrats Sfcyclist. Nice color combo Be sure to post pictures.

I have the 3M clear bra on my tungsten pearl/black RX. It's held up nicely over the past two years with regular cleaning. I'd definitely recommend it. I skipped the side molding since this is the first RX without something on the doors. It made me change my washing style though, LOL! I don't have the cross bars and probably won't, no use for me.

The 3rd gen feels cavernous compared to the 1st and 2nd gen. Even the bump up to 19"s makes quite a difference. While it might be missing a few things, IMO the new features more than make up for it. Enjoy your RX
Old 12-04-11, 08:03 AM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is exactly what I'm looking for, enjoy it.
Old 12-04-11, 10:18 AM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Thanks for the warm welcome!

In regards to tow hitch, I have tow prep package not tow hitch. Loading bikes on the tow hitch is easier but the hitch rack itself is an hindrance. The rack on the roof, you can leave it on as it doesn't interfere with access to the trunk. This was the exact debate I had with the RX300.. I had a custom Yakima setup there and it worked out very well. On long/big trips, I would agree a hitch would be preferable. Best price I found on the cross bars is off Ebay.. I wished I negotiated this during my purchase! I was distracted by the excitement of finding the exact car we wanted!

.2 cubic feet more vs rx300.. perhaps.. that' s about the size of the first aid bag!
Old 12-04-11, 10:20 AM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Originally Posted by lamar411
This is exactly what I'm looking for, enjoy it.
What is? the car or comparison as I notice you have a RX300?

According to one dealer, this car is the only one in CA at this time. From what found, it may be true. The comfort package and black interior in N. CA seems like a rare things or in high demand.
Old 12-05-11, 06:11 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Default Right after purchase

Since they got me with their December to Remember commercials, I wanted a pic of the car with their signature bow.
Attached Thumbnails Just bought a 2012 RX350 for my wife, Tungsten with Black-rx350-brandnew.jpg  
Old 12-05-11, 06:13 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Anyone heard of the Whispbar Rack?
Old 12-06-11, 07:49 AM
Mdkellys
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sfcyclist
Since they got me with their December to Remember commercials, I wanted a pic of the car with their signature bow.
She sure is pretty all wrapped up! Congrats!

Mike
Old 12-06-11, 10:17 AM
PeterAG71
Driver School Candidate

Congrats on your new purchase. It really looks nice with the bow.
Old 12-06-11, 11:50 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Sfcyclist, nice picture. I tried to get my dealer to include a bow since my RX came in around Christmas two years ago. Didn't happen I think I'll buy one on my own next time so I don't miss out.
Old 12-07-11, 11:31 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

I just noticed the from license frame is mounted. I guess that's required now?
Old 12-08-11, 12:47 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice color combo......same one that I have on my IS. I was reluctant to get black interior but after 5 1/2 years of ownership I much prefer the black interior to the parchment that we have on the RX. Black is much easier to keep clean than the parchment interior. And the Tungsten Pearl color wears well and maintains its appearance if maintained.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2012 RX350 for my wife, Tungsten with Black