RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Using Nav while driving

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-11, 07:17 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Using Nav while driving

Forgive me for pulling a quote out of another discussion, but I didn't wish to hijack that thread.

One other thing. Some folks here cannot work their Nav system while in motion. I think that is a dealer setting that can be done since I have always been able to work the nav system (new destinaton, etc) while in motion since the day I picked it up

While I agree with Jim, using the navigation/phone/audio/climate control system can be and is a distraction. I thought it interesting Lexus has a version that works while driving.

So some questions for those folks (MX5N) with this ability:

What version Nav firmware and software is it?

Can you perform all functions such as phone dialing? (I have trouble calling into voice mail systems that require "press option 2")

Sometime the nav stops you from scrolling beyond one or two pages of previous destinations or address book entries, do you have this limitation with your nav while driving?

When you first turn on your map, do you have the disclaimer page you must acknowledge before the map displays?

Thanks.
Old 12-01-11, 07:27 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Received 100 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
Forgive me for pulling a quote out of another discussion, but I didn't wish to hijack that thread.

While I agree with Jim, using the navigation/phone/audio/climate control system can be and is a distraction. I thought it interesting Lexus has a version that works while driving.

So some questions for those folks (MX5N) with this ability:
What version Nav firmware and software is it?
v11.1

Can you perform all functions such as phone dialing? (I have trouble calling into voice mail systems that require "press option 2")
Yes. i-Phone acts normally

Sometime the nav stops you from scrolling beyond one or two pages of previous destinations or address book entries, do you have this limitation with your nav while driving?
Great question. I have only used it a few times so don't have pages of destinations to scroll through. I DO know that I can input new destinations/attractions/"go home"/etc while in motion. I can do it from my side and my wife can do it with the entry button on her side as well.

When you first turn on your map, do you have the disclaimer page you must acknowledge before the map displays?
Yes but it goes off after a few seconds

Thanks.
You're welcome
Old 12-01-11, 07:27 AM
MC5Wes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Navigation

Ive driven a few 3rd generation RXs. And I have a 2007 RX350. And without some type of aftermarket kit. You do not have all of the functions available when the car is in motion.

On mine. You can still enter a destination while moving. On the map you can use an existing nav point. Or you can search on the map and select a nav point. But you cannot type in a street address. As these buttons are grayed out.

Some other functions are also lost. On mine you can listen to a movie DVD. But cant watch it unless its in park and the parking brake is set.
Old 12-01-11, 08:42 AM
DunWkg
Racer

MC5Wes, from your description you have a M.L. radio/Nav unit.

MX5N, is that what you have too?

The firmware version can be found in the service menu. I'll look up mine later today.
Old 12-01-11, 09:47 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

MC5Wes, from your description you have a M.L. radio/Nav unit.

MX5N, is that what you have too?

The firmware version can be found in the service menu. I'll look up mine later today.
Nope. No ML system. Just plain ol' NAVI
Old 12-02-11, 06:18 AM
LX311
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I've misread this thread.... but is there a way to use the nav while you are driving other than thru the voice activation? I have a 2011 RX with nav and many of the phone and navigation buttons are greyed out while driving... I thought this could not be changed?

Again... I could have read this thread wrong.

Thank you
Tanja
Old 12-02-11, 06:40 AM
GoHuskers
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
Nope. No ML system. Just plain ol' NAVI
MX5N....

Please tell the rest of US how did you do to use the Phone (in the Navi, NOT from your phone) while driving. Also, let's see if you can enter destinations (gas/restaurants/ATMs) into the navi while driving.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do it.
Old 12-02-11, 07:03 AM
kwbuggy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yikes, I'm going to be nervous all the way to Florida if there are no laws against distracted driving in the US. I know that it is very dangerous to do any programming of navigation systems, whether built in or add on, or phoning while driving UNLESS it is by voice command. I apologize in advance if all of you are discussing voice command systems but ask that you consider both your own and everyone else on the road's safety if you want to manually adjust your navigation or dial a phone while driving. Don't any US states have distracted driving laws?
Old 12-02-11, 07:44 AM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kwbuggy
Yikes, I'm going to be nervous all the way to Florida if there are no laws against distracted driving in the US. I know that it is very dangerous to do any programming of navigation systems, whether built in or add on, or phoning while driving UNLESS it is by voice command. I apologize in advance if all of you are discussing voice command systems but ask that you consider both your own and everyone else on the road's safety if you want to manually adjust your navigation or dial a phone while driving. Don't any US states have distracted driving laws?
Laws vary state by state. I didn't say I do this stuff while driving only that I found that I could. I don't see a point to staring at the Nav screen doing 65mph on a highway or 35mph on a busy small town street. My co-pilot takes care of that stuff for me.

From the phone menu hit the little green unhok button in the bottom right. From there you can access a list of previous calls as well as your address book and make a call. Just was out (in a big EMPTY parking lot) and accidentally called my boss. Oops

From the main menu (hit the menu button) you click on the Destinations button (the red one). From there you can enter POI's, attractions, etc.

Not certain if others have a different experience.
Old 12-02-11, 04:46 PM
tapau
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2011 RX450h and will definitely be getting the Pretigious Nav Override for X-mas. I've tried to use the voice for making phone calls and it just doesn't work very good. It's very slow, frustrating, and it makes a lot of mistakes.

Honestly, since you can't scroll or change the CD or scroll down on an AUX device (I have my MP3s on a USB jump drive) I actually find myself trying to get around the black out by going to the last song on the currrenly displayed song list and then fowarding to the next song (which scrolls the AUX screen). It's actually more distracting and hazardous. It would take 4-ever to keep using the steering wheel next song button to get through 100+ songs.

I know what Lexus' reasoning is for placing all the black outs. However, if I'm driving on the dark highway with my kids on the way to Disney I certainly don't want to stop on the side or get off on some deserted exit to find the next McDonalds. I'd like it if my 15 year old could enter the POI in for me while he's in the passengers seat.

It's a shame that I have to carry my Garmin with me in cases like that when I've paid so much money to have a Nav system in the car. Again ... on a daily basis I'l like to at least listen to more than the 5 songs showing on the current AUX screen without so much grief.

Last edited by tapau; 12-02-11 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-02-11, 05:08 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

You cannot use the keypad while the car is in motion. This is very stupid. They should allow you do use voice recognition in conjunction to push the keypad if they are going to lock it out.

also on the radio screens, it wont show you the "text" of the song such as name and artist while in motion but it does show it on the sat radio screen
Old 12-02-11, 06:51 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Laws vary state by state. I didn't say I do this stuff while driving only that I found that I could. I don't see a point to staring at the Nav screen doing 65mph on a highway or 35mph on a busy small town street. My co-pilot takes care of that stuff for me.

From the phone menu hit the little green unhok button in the bottom right. From there you can access a list of previous calls as well as your address book and make a call. Just was out (in a big EMPTY parking lot) and accidentally called my boss. Oops

From the main menu (hit the menu button) you click on the Destinations button (the red one). From there you can enter POI's, attractions, etc.

Not certain if others have a different experience.
Are you refering to the ES350 or the RX350?
Old 12-02-11, 06:55 PM
DunWkg
Racer

MX5N,

I'm intrigued by your navigation system. While the car is moving and you push the Destination Button (the red one) and you pick Point of Interest, what are you able to do next? On mine, and I think RXSF's, I can only do eDestination. And if I do eDestination, I will be limited on how many pages I can view before being locked out.

Also when you are moving and you go off-hook on the phone and you pick a number of a place with an automated attendant or voice mail are you able to dial the digits to move through voice mail and dial extension numbers? I can't.

I have nav firmware version C450 and software version 11.09.10 and you?

RXSF, you failed to mention that accursed 16 character maximum on artist and song title. Who's fault is that Lexus or XM??
Old 12-03-11, 04:32 PM
MX5NES350
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The G Man
Are you refering to the ES350 or the RX350?
Took delivery of a 2012 RX a month ago
Old 12-04-11, 08:20 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Took delivery of a 2012 RX a month ago
Do you have the only 2012 RX without the navi lock out, or have Lexus finally listen to all the complaints about the lock out?

Quick Reply: Using Nav while driving