RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RXh in for service, RX350 Loaner

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-11, 11:57 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts
Default RXh in for service, RX350 Loaner

This is the first time I have driven the 3gen RX gas model since I purchased my hybrid. Let me tell you, once you get used to the hybrid, its hard to get back into the gas model! These are just my random musings.

When I was about to purchase the hybrid, people were telling me that I would need to get used to the CVT and how it doesnt shift. Then there is the complete silence part of it all. For some reason, getting used to these two things came pretty easily for me. I dont miss the shifting and I enjoy riding in silence and trying to stay in electric mode as long as possible.

Now I should say I obviously still have gas models in my garage, like the IS and C class. However, I dont know if its the fact that I am in an RX that has basically the same features as mine and color that it is throwing off my mind. I still look down at the gauges half expecting to increase mpg by keeping it in the green zone. I have driven it all day today and cant get used to either pedal. Gas pedal and brake pedal seem very hard to modulate for me. I set off with a jump. I think the hybrid needs more pressure to get moving. Brakes need to be stepped on quite deep before any noticeable braking on the regular RX. The hybrid's regen brakes are very instant.

The Noise: loud. engine noise travels through the cabin at a drone. I know they supposedly fixed this on the 2012 models and I am glad for it. I was surprised to see this 2011 had double paned /laminated front windows like the RXh. I thought this was specific to the hybrid.

Weird Things: the hill start assist beep is different even though both are 2011 models. My RXh has a higher toned beep. The blue halo over the speedo is a different type of blue. The RXh has is true blue, while the gas model has a purplish hue to it. I swear the ticker sound for the turn signal is different too it is easier to keep the gas model in eco mode with the green leaf. I can drive like a normal person and still have the green leaf showing there. On the hybrid, if I want to set off at a reasonable pace, I have to be in the Power area with the leaf gone.

The gas model even though has less hp feels quite a bit quicker on its feet. I am sure this has to do with weight.
Old 11-30-11, 04:35 AM
Cruiter

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I noticed most of what you did when I took the 1st RX350 loaner.
After that I always tried to get another hybrid even if it was the little sedan.

Yes, the (h) has a different driving style but once you get used to it, like you said, there's no going back. Some people talk as if different is not good. To them I say take the time to get used to it, it's definitely a step up .
Originally Posted by RXSF
This is the first time I have driven the 3gen RX gas model since I purchased my hybrid. Let me tell you, once you get used to the hybrid, its hard to get back into the gas model! These are just my random musings.

When I was about to purchase the hybrid, people were telling me that I would need to get used to the CVT and how it doesnt shift. Then there is the complete silence part of it all. For some reason, getting used to these two things came pretty easily for me. I dont miss the shifting and I enjoy riding in silence and trying to stay in electric mode as long as possible.

Now I should say I obviously still have gas models in my garage, like the IS and C class. However, I dont know if its the fact that I am in an RX that has basically the same features as mine and color that it is throwing off my mind. I still look down at the gauges half expecting to increase mpg by keeping it in the green zone. I have driven it all day today and cant get used to either pedal. Gas pedal and brake pedal seem very hard to modulate for me. I set off with a jump. I think the hybrid needs more pressure to get moving. Brakes need to be stepped on quite deep before any noticeable braking on the regular RX. The hybrid's regen brakes are very instant.

The Noise: loud. engine noise travels through the cabin at a drone. I know they supposedly fixed this on the 2012 models and I am glad for it. I was surprised to see this 2011 had double paned /laminated front windows like the RXh. I thought this was specific to the hybrid.

Weird Things: the hill start assist beep is different even though both are 2011 models. My RXh has a higher toned beep. The blue halo over the speedo is a different type of blue. The RXh has is true blue, while the gas model has a purplish hue to it. I swear the ticker sound for the turn signal is different too it is easier to keep the gas model in eco mode with the green leaf. I can drive like a normal person and still have the green leaf showing there. On the hybrid, if I want to set off at a reasonable pace, I have to be in the Power area with the leaf gone.

The gas model even though has less hp feels quite a bit quicker on its feet. I am sure this has to do with weight.