RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Remote start option

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-13, 11:23 PM
toppower
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know how much a dealer will charge to program the Factory Starter Function using the TIS Techstream
Old 10-29-13, 12:34 PM
apnakapur
Driver School Candidate

Default Sewell remote starter

Hello,
I am a newbie & just bought a used 2010 RX. I did reserched this tread to find out about remote starter (nothing fancy). Sewell came as one, however i have difficulty finding the answer to - Is the below one 1 way or 2 way remote starter? And what is the distance range this can work with?
Any feedback based on experience.
Strangely even the Sewell customer service answered me saying they dont know.
thanks

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/accesso...2010/2585.html
Old 10-29-13, 12:42 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sewell Remote Starter

The link you sent is what is on my 2010 RX. Unless your car is very close to you it doesn't work!!! It also shuts down as soon as you open the door. Mine just happened to already be on the new car I purchased. Since my car is kept in the garage I have little use for it. The one day I tried it in a parking lot I had to be almost on top of the car before it started.
Old 06-09-14, 03:46 PM
Merf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
It's operating as it is supposed to. Check the owners manual. Would you rather someone be able to come up to your running vehicle, hop in and drive off while you are in your house doing the last minutes things you need to before you leave? Granted after they turn it off it would take a professional about another 60 seconds to get it started again but still.
How is someone going to hop in if the doors are locked?
Old 06-09-14, 04:14 PM
Merf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Merf
How is someone going to hop in if the doors are locked?
I thought about it again after reading all of the posts. Here is a senario whereby the theif would have an advantage if the car didn't shut off when unlocked. Lets say it's a cold morning and your car is right outside your kitchen window in the car port. You remote start it and sit down to finish your coffee while the car warms up. Then you don't hear it running anymore because the theif touched the door, the car unlocked because the keyfob was just on the other side of the wall, and he drove away. I love being a theoryisisist. Maybe someone at Lexus theoryizises like I do.
Old 06-10-14, 06:04 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Merf, interesting scenario. When time permits I'll try it with my wife's car. Her's continues to run when you open the door (Nissan). My guess is the fob must be in the car to drive off. Being on the outside of the car or further away yet, in the house just won't allow theft.
Old 06-10-14, 06:31 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Merf
I thought about it again after reading all of the posts. Here is a senario whereby the theif would have an advantage if the car didn't shut off when unlocked. Lets say it's a cold morning and your car is right outside your kitchen window in the car port. You remote start it and sit down to finish your coffee while the car warms up. Then you don't hear it running anymore because the theif touched the door, the car unlocked because the keyfob was just on the other side of the wall, and he drove away. I love being a theoryisisist. Maybe someone at Lexus theoryizises like I do.
ok, lets take remote start out of the equation and stay with your scenario.

Thieves here go around and pull on door handles all the time to see if an owner has 'gifted' them the contents of their vehicle. Vehicle is parked on the other side of the window/wall and when thief pulls on handle, the door unlocks. Thereby telling the thief that the key is inside or close and the vehicle will start. If its a hybrid, you simply get in and drive away and no one hears a thing.

Plausible?
Old 06-11-14, 03:33 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't think plausible. I believe, unless mistaken, fob must be in car to start it. Sometimes I keep fob in the door handle (perhaps called "door pull shut grab hole" and the car thinks the fob is not in the car. The sensors (antennas) know whether fob is in the car or outside of the car.

(Of course, starting could be tied to the seat sensor. The "Is someone sitting in the seat" sensor. Although the 2010 RXh could be started by a passenger with the fob by holding the start button for 30-40 seconds while sitting in the passenger's seat.)

Last edited by DunWkg; 06-11-14 at 03:42 AM.
Old 06-11-14, 06:09 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DunWkg
I don't think plausible. I believe, unless mistaken, fob must be in car to start it. Sometimes I keep fob in the door handle (perhaps called "door pull shut grab hole" and the car thinks the fob is not in the car. The sensors (antennas) know whether fob is in the car or outside of the car.

(Of course, starting could be tied to the seat sensor. The "Is someone sitting in the seat" sensor. Although the 2010 RXh could be started by a passenger with the fob by holding the start button for 30-40 seconds while sitting in the passenger's seat.)

I wonder. The range for the vehicle to detect the fob is about the same as the length of the door swing pattern. Vehicle would have to extremely close to a thin wall with possiblly even glass for my scenario to work.

Lets add in remote start back in. Within 30 feet, the vehicle will start and won't turn off unless the door is opened or time limit passes. Could you theoritically climb in your car from the open window and drive away without the fob in your possession.

I've given a car (Dodge) to the valet before and forgot to give the fob and they were able to park it with no issue. Couldn't bring it back to me of course without the fob of course.

So I believe that once the car is on, it can be driven, regardless of where the fob is.
Old 06-16-14, 07:55 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why not implement as most other makes: don't completely activate everything in the vehicle when you remote start, just the climate control system. If the fob is not near, you can't unlock the door. If your fob is present and you touch the unlock sensor just get in, press the brake and hit Start. All the remaining functions including unlocking the shifter are now active. If someone manages to get in the vehicle while AC is running they can't move it out of Park because the vehicle is not fully "activated." Seems simple enough.

That's how remote start works on GM vehicles and I imagine most other makes.
Old 12-08-14, 11:39 AM
HGD
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by toppower
Anyone know how much a dealer will charge to program the Factory Starter Function using the TIS Techstream
Toppower, did you ever get an answer on this or does anyone else have an idea on how much a dealership would charge for this?
Old 12-08-14, 02:14 PM
HGD
Driver School Candidate

Hey Everyone,

I want to install an RES for my gf's 2010 RX 350. I've been reading up on the forums about self-installing the RES from Sewell since local Lexus dealership wants to charge $520 b4 taxes. Install doesn't seem too bad at all but I have a few questions about the product itself and TechStream.

1) I've read that people complain about the range on the OEM RES. Is it really that dreadful? I'm not concerned about the range while starting in house while car is in the driveway but the 30' threshold that's been mentioned comes into play more while she's at work starting the car from her office to the parking lot maybe 50'-75' away. If the range is not reliable beyond 30', I'm not sure I want to go with the OEM.

2) Has anyone successfully been able to program the RES without using TechStream as per the Sewell instruction guide states? I saw one member say you could do it and quoted the procedure, but don't think anyone mentioned they successfully programmed it without the use of TechStream.

3) Plenty of people seem to have had success with the cheapo TechStream options out there on eBay & Amazon and since it is so cheap it’s worth the risk. With that being said, does anyone know a specific vendor on eBay or Amazon they’ve ordered the TechStream from and have had success? I found the D-Click and Fotga “brands” on Amazon:

Amazon.com: D-CLICK TM Newest V8.00.034 MINI VCI for TOYOTA TIS Techstream Diagnostic Cable & Software (Diagnostic Cable): Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: D-CLICK TM Newest V8.00.034 MINI VCI for TOYOTA TIS Techstream Diagnostic Cable & Software (Diagnostic Cable): Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com : Fotga Newest V8.00.034 MINI VCI for TOYOTA TIS Techstream Diagnostic Cable & Software : Toyota Mongoose Cable : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Fotga Newest V8.00.034 MINI VCI for TOYOTA TIS Techstream Diagnostic Cable & Software : Toyota Mongoose Cable : Car Electronics
Anyone have any luck with these?

4) Worst comes to worst and the eBay/Amazon TechStream fails me, does anyone know how much a dealer would charge for programming?

Sorry for the long post. Appreciate any help/advice/info I can get.

Thanks!
Old 12-08-14, 04:00 PM
doc307
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HGD - hopefully someone will answer your questions because I have the exact same ones.
Old 12-10-14, 12:37 PM
cubbie036
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mstrgator
You can buy the lexus kit at Sewell with instructions for installing. It is real Lexus. Your dealership is not on top of things but I have dealt with some of those. There are others. If you have a mechanic you trust I would not have a problem with non-lexus installation. But if someone can read then surely Lexus techs can do it. You can see the detailed instructions on sEWELL WEBSITE. I can't remember price but it's likley less than facotry installed--check sewell.
Just note there are 2 different remote starters for the RX 3rd gen. There is the RES and RES+. RES uses the OEM key fob to start the car. You must be in close proximity to start it. The RES + allows you to start the car from just about anywhere using your smartphone.

I bought the RES+ from Sewell and installed it myself. It works like a charm. I line in Sn Francisco and have to street park. So I can start my RX that is parked 3 blocks away from the comfort of my home. :-) there is a year subscription which was like $70.

Lastly, the newer cars like the NX offer remote start from smartphone, but it looks like the yearly subscription is WAY more expensive.
Old 02-06-15, 04:34 AM
desmo907
Driver

Default Installation hassle?

Originally Posted by MX5NES350
$176.90 w/ CL discount. Instructions are here: http://lexus.sewellparts.com/pdf/PT39848091.pdf

Eric
Curious if anyone has installed this on a 450h (2013). Seems many parts need to come out. I am pretty decent with a wrench but can be baffled

Also it appear from what I read that this will be coded to my current Lexus fob <?> and that nobody can drive off after I start it (Think I read I have to restart before driving)?

Thx

Quick Reply: Remote start option